Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
If you are looking for more ideas for dinner there are lots of good recipes in this cookbook. I tried three recipes so far with mixed results. The Easy Cuban Picadillo was pretty easy to make and I served it over rice. It was simply a ground beef recipe with tomato sauce, olives, raisins, green pepper and onion. Then I tried the Corn Chowder. That was trickier as I had to adapt the recipe quite a bit. I left out the salt and thyme and added in 1/4 cup butter blended with 1/4 cup flour to give the soup some thickness. I didn't like the idea of just eating milk with salt. I also added four teaspoons of chicken base. Then it turned out OK. I thought I might add another teaspoon of chicken base next time.

But the real reason you should get this book is because it has an amazing recipe for Aloha Burgers. These are burgers with Swiss cheese, bacon, onion and pineapple with teriyaki sauce. The only thing is you have to fry the bacon before you start everything else. I'd also recommend you fry the onions right at the same time or right after the bacon. Timing is essential in this recipe as you have to get everything hot at the same time. So you are grilling pineapple at the same time as you are frying the hamburgers. I put everything on the hamburgers and put them under the broiler just for a few minutes to melt the cheese. This recipe is so good I could handle eating Aloha Burgers once a week.

Now some of the things that might be important for a new cook is to realize say when a recipe calls for chopped walnuts that you have to give yourself extra time to chop them. Or when it says bacon, you have to fry that first. And it seems the time those jobs take are not calculated into the total time. So my advice it to really read the ingredients list first and do whatever needs to be done first and set it aside. I would have written some of the recipes differently if I'd been testing them. The Corn Chowder took about twice the amount of time due to having to dice all the potatoes.

Some of the other recipes that look good include:

Mushroom Swiss Mac and Cheese
Sweet Potato Fries
Cashew Chicken
Homemade Pierogies
Barbecued Brisket
Tortilla Vegetable Chicken Soup
Lentil Soup

So lots of recipes to try. I'll report back on anything else that is tasty.

~The Rebecca Review
on March 23, 2015
I love this cookbook! It is the second one that I have bought. The first one I loaned and never got back. About the contents...I grew up in South Texas and I know that a lot of the Tex-Mex recipes are authentic. Another thing I like is that the recipes are simple to make. The people send in the recipes because the names and stories are included by the recipes. Recipes from all regions of the USA. I have a lot of Taste of Home cookbooks and love them all! You can't go wrong on this one.
on August 30, 2017
Gave as a gift. My mom loves it!
on July 18, 2016
This is the best TOH book ever. Every page you see reminds you of something you have had growing up.
on September 15, 2013
If you are looking for that cookbook that is very comprehensive, this is it! It has so many wonderful recipes in it ... I have page markers throughout the book. Most of the recipes are very reasonable ... in that they don't require a lot of exotic ingredients. I love how it is divided into the 4 sections of the U.S. My favorite recipes are from the New England states and the Midwest ... but that is because I've lived in both of these areas of the country. My favorite Taste Of Home cookbook yet!
on May 6, 2016
Loving 😍 all the outstanding recipes.
Just breezing through it sometimes gives you the greatest idea's on what to surprise the family for dinner with......
on October 8, 2013
This is a beautiful cookbook. It is fun to read about the diversity of food across the nation, and the recipes are clear and easy to follow. If, however, you like cookbooks which group foods by type (e.g., all appetizers together, all desserts together, etc.), it could be a challenge; but I found the indexes to be extensive enough to overcome that possible hurdle. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys straightforward home cooking.
on October 27, 2013
TOH publications are real tried and true recipes. These are things people around the country make and eat on a regular basis with ingredients that ate easily accessible. My only concern is that having been a TOH customer for such a long time and an addiction to cookbooks, I suspect that I have some of these recipes already in other TOH publications. However, it has yet to deter me! Happy cooking
on December 10, 2013
I checked this out in the store where it was priced significantly higher than I got it for here. I love the way it's sectioned out into regions. It has many recipes that actually sound good. I made the Three Bean Salad for a Christmas party and made a couple variations...it was very good. It arrived quickly, undamaged. Would make an excellent gift.
on April 26, 2016
Great recipe book for those who enjoy American cuisine from every corner of the North American map.