Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on September 7, 2013
This recipe book is packed, as suggested by the title. I found the style to be very robust without much tips for making it really great. The book starts with just saying to cook everything on high. The recipe book also indicates in the beginning to have the crockpot under a catch dish because things boil over. The recipe book has lots of recipes using canned mushrooms with not many substitutions which is not very good for me because I do not like mushrooms in the least. He does say to be creative, and if you can think of it, do it. However, I really would not have bought the book if I was that creative. I still use the book when I find something in it I can make with the substitutions I need, but I found I am not using it as much as I'd like.
on January 19, 2007
Nothing about the title is accurate. The recipes are far too large for a 1 1/2 quart slow cooker - one of them, the Brunswick Stew (which was dreadful, by the way just barely fit in my 3 quart slow cooker.

The recipes make no effort to reduce fat, calories, carbs, or sodium - especially sodium, since nearly all of them use canned food as the main ingredients, and are therefore loaded with sodium. A few of the dessert recipes do incorporate sugar substitutes - but a typical dessert recipe instructs you, basically, to use half a box of cake mix along with half the ingredients the mix calls for anyway. Ever tried to use half a box of cake mix? It's not easy.

In fact, most of the recipes are not cooked in the usual sense at all: they use already cooked ingredients and employ the crock pot to heat them slowly.

The one minor virtue of the book is that you can read the recipes and then draw some conclusions about how to adapt regular recipes for the crock pot - but that is true about any crock pot cookbook.

I am sorry I bought it and recommend against your buying it.
66 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2014
The recipes in this book have NOT been sized for the 1-1/2 quart slow cooker. Some of them have far more than 6 cups of food, which is 1-1/2 quarts. How on earth is that supposed to work? Don't use this book.
on February 14, 2014
i only cook on the week ends i have only tried one recipe i`m on a low sodium diet so i have to make some adjustments to the recipes so i can`t make a honest rating. my meals are delivered to me Monday through Friday.
on March 1, 2017
I just love this cookbook and inspires me to use my mini slow cooker more.
For what the author is trying to accomplish this book works because it's geared toward small dishes. It's wonderful for empty nesters and busy people who like to keep things simple. Aside from some typo's it's a decent book. The recipes are very straight forward if you use some common sense solutions to following them. This helps you maneuver through each recipe better. I would've given the book 5 stars if the author had written the book like he was there in the kitchen with me going through each recipe. He definitely needs the rapport vs. report feel in this book.

I've tried the beef stew, turkey loaf, soup, braised ribs and oatmeal recipes and all have turned out well. The author likes to have his food on the firm side and I like mine on the tender side so I usually add 2 hours to some of the recipes where appropriate.
on September 24, 2005
Book is small, but loaded with 350 recipes!..have tried 4 already with great success..something for everyone to make in a tiny little crockpot..perfect for a small family.
on March 8, 2007
I like this book because it shows that someone is thinking like me! Is anyone cooking is this small slow cooker? I try to adapt some recipes to my liking. I still have not done a lot of recipes in this book but will do more in the near future since I am a slow cooker fan. Too bad there are no pictures! still it is not a problem for me. Thank you. P.S.: Some recipes say 3 hours, I had to cook 5 hours (I suppose this depends on you cooker)
on January 13, 2014
There were only two books that covered recipes for the 1 1/2 slow cookers. This is one and it has all the different kinds of foods you would need for making your favorites a little smaller. I love it.
on December 24, 2012
This is a great cookbook if you plan on staying home for the 3 hours or so it takes to make these recipes - for many of the recipes you have to come back in an hour to add or do something extra to the recipe.