Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on January 6, 2017
This cookbook is so awesome, my Guyanese mother in law bought one for herself and her daughter. Awesomely written, great narration of Guyanese culture as well as other Caribbean cultures highlighted by recipe. Makes me feel like I know a little more about my spouse's Guyanese culture and upbringing. The recipes are well written as co-signed by my mother in law. I tried her Bakes recipe- came out perfect. Though do watch out, some of the recipes may be written using fresh items that are not readily available in the states. For example, the sorrel reccipe calls for 1lb of sorrel flowers- In NY we have dried sorrel. the recipe doesn't state which to use and when I made it my MIL and FIL said it was too strong and needed to be drastically watered down. Otherwise, a lovely and well written cookbook with gorgeous pictures.
on April 23, 2013
I'm a Guyanese woman living across the country from my mother and other relatives. In my family, as in many West Indian families (most, I imagine) learning to cook these traditional dishes is very haphazard. "You put a handful of this and a palmful of that and then plenty plenty of this other thing and etc., etc."

It's never been any surprise to me that Guyanese cookbooks are so few and far between. Nailing down these recipes with actual measurements is a daunting task. I've been euphoric since discovering Cynthia's blog and was elated when this book came out and I could finally purchase it! There's a diverse range of recipes from sweet to savory.

Reading this is also a pleasure. Every dish brings back my own memories of growing up and I also have a good chuckle when I see the differences between her recipes and the way my relatives prepare certain dishes. In my head, I can hear the echoes of one of my stubborn aunts repeating some mysterious family rule about adding or not adding certain ingredients to certain dishes.

I find this book to be an invaluable starting point for Caribbean (particularly Guyanese) cooking. And I only say "starting point" because, in my case, I'm chasing the flavors of my mother and grandmother. These recipes are like a living heritage. They evolve over generations, are tweaked from family to family, and can meld and mesh nicely with the influence of other culinary cultures.

If you're at all interested in the food of the Anglophone Caribbean, this book is a must-buy!
on January 9, 2011
It is important to note that there are different areas of the Caribbean and the flavors of the Spanish, Dutch, and British Caribbean are often distinct even from one another. There are many recipes here that cross those divides- but I would say these are the flavors of the Afro- Caribbean and the West Indies specifically Guyana, Trinidad and Barbados. The author notes these foods were "flavored" by its migration heritage. Which is probably why the variety is so delightful. Of all the Caribbean food realms out there- I really enjoy these flavors the most. TASTE LIKE HOME is the most comprehensive and well written cookbook of these flavors.
I want to cook what I've tasted and thoroughly enjoyed- often recipes miss that mark. This book will NOT disappoint. Caribbean cooking is an art form. No two recipes for a popular dish seem identical -even in the same households and often -even from the same cooks. Many Caribbean cooks, when detailing recipes tell you some of this, a pinch of that- and give you four alternative ingredients. It's almost as if the recipes are a protected secret! There needs to be a solid foundation on which to build flavors. This book will give it to you.
It is beautifully written with inspiring, nostalgic stories and then there's the recipes. Details with such beautiful pictures. The stories and recipes speak to my imagination, memories-that seem to cross cultures and age, and my palate. Those elusive flavors come to light here. This is a must buy.
on January 6, 2011
This book is excellent in providing instructions, but also explaining the nuanced techniques of these Caribbean favorites and the cultural significance of the dishes. Instructions are clear and concise with helpful tips and photos and recipes use cup measures, so one doesn't need a scale for measurements. I've been searching for a Caribbean cookbook that features "authentic" recipes but doesn't assume I'm an expert in the culture and this is it. I'd be proud to give it to Guyanese family members and American foodies alike and would say it's a huge step towards making Caribbean culture and food accessible to the "mainstream palette" and helping parents pass along their heritage.

Can't say enough about how well the book is done! This is going to be a classic!
on January 26, 2011
I was extremely excited when I ordered Cynthia's book Tastes Like Home and waited with bated breath to receive it in the mail. As with her Blog, her book did not disappoint. The pictures were so life like. The ones of fruits and vegetables evoked memories of being at the local market. And pictures of dishes begged to have them replicated in your own home. Which is precisely what I did this past weekend for my sister in law's baby shower. I made Vermicelli Cake which has always been a favorite in our household. It was delicious and a welcomed surprise. What I did not know is that it was also a favorite in my aunt's household. My aunt passed away a few months ago and in speaking with my cousin I learned that my aunt always made this for special occasions and holidays. However my cousin never got a recipe from her mom. So, now I was able to share the recipe with my cousin and also recommend Cynthia's Tastes Like home which has a treasure trove of the foods we grew up eating, having grown up in Guyana.

Discussions of Cynthia's book also led us to reminisce of our childhood growing up in Guyana and the summers we spent with our mothers who are now both deceased. We spoke of guava jam my mom made and of how Saturdays were baking days at my house. This was an all day affair. There were breads different types, pan, braided and rolls. Buns, shingles, cassave pone, and salara. All in one day. I was blessed with an amazing mom who was a wonderful cook. We sometimes forget how much food is a part of any culture. So Cynthia, thank you for not only evoking tastes of home but also wonderful memories of my beloved mom and aunt within the pages of your book.
on March 12, 2014
I ordered this book based on the other reviews at the time. The first thing that's wonderful are all the beautiful color photos of all the dishes. Secondly, Ms. Nelson took the time to write a tip or story for each of the recipes. This is not the type of book you lend to anyone because you will not get it back. Since receiving it, I have read thru a number of recipes and I know I'm going to enjoy trying alot of them because the recipes are very well written. Thank you Ms. Nelson.
on September 3, 2013
Kudos to Cynthia Nelson (a fellow Guyanese) for the fabulous recipes. The photography is amazing!!!!! The recipes mouth-watering and I finally found a recipe for Chinese cakes. For years, I've wanted to make them.......even though it's very time-consuming. Thank you Cynthia.
on June 16, 2011
I bought this book two weeks ago and I love it!! The recipes in this book are very clear and easy to follow - the food comes out exactly like how it is written in the book. There are several Guyanese recipes in this book, as well as other recipes from the Caribbean. Cynthia Nelson includes her own stories about food which are beautifully written and enjoyable to read. Also the pictures are beautiful and there are several, at least one for each recipe, so that you know what the end result should look like. I definitely recommend this book.
on December 16, 2014
The editing isn't perfect but it still makes for a great read. I absolutely love the stories, history and anecdotes that go along with the fabulous recipes. There are recipes in here that I haven't seen since my childhood. I can't wait to make cou-could and coconut bread. Also,the pictures are so vivid that your mouth will water with each page turned.
on February 23, 2017
I got to me quickly and in perfect condition. Love the book. Great recipes and great pictures to go with it. 😊