Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2012 7:29:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 7:42:51 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
My Blu Ray discs from this brand new Girl With The Dragon Tattoo set don't play in my Pioneer Blu Ray player. I just get the Sony intro then blank - for both blu ray discs.
the DVD (the disc that looks like a burned copy) plays fine- though only has standard dvd clarity and sound. I admit I've become spoiled by true hd/blu ray - and usually purchase the few 'keeper' movies I'll want to view again on blu ray discs.

I checked both blu rays in my laptop which has a BD player/recorder. Same deal, it won't them either...plays the big Sony logo then blank...on both discs. When I click properties it identifies them as Blu Ray (as does the home theater player) but my Cyberlink Blu Ray software says they are in a non-supported format. Of course the DVD also plays fine in the laptop..

These are the only blu ray discs to ever not work in my Pioneer BD player, which is a year old. I've never had any issues with the laptop and blu rays either.
Anyone else have this issue with the new Blu Ray set of Fincher's version of GWTDTattoo?

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 10:20:55 AM PDT
Jeff E. says:
Is your firmware up to date on you blu ray players? Other then that I have no clue.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 4:26:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 4:27:14 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Well, the Pioneer is a year old, have never checked for updates, have never had as issue. The Dell computer had a reformat (by Dell techs) 2 months ago and the latest version of Cyberlink blue ray player software was installed, i think it would still be up to date.
I may take these discs down to Best Buy to see if they play in a brand new player.
Thanks for the reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 12:12:07 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
the latest: I updated the firmware last weekend and I can now get the BD to play, though I have to come at it sideways (from scene selections). I can't just put it in and it will play. But it's watchable in HD now. Thanks for the reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 10:25:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2012 10:25:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 10:14:17 AM PDT
I just went through two copies of the Blu Ray DVD, both of which had this problem. I could never get disc 2 to play (I have a recent Pioneer player with upgraded firmware. This is the only Blue Ray I have ever bought or rented that has given me this problem. I tried both copies on my PC: same problem. I tried them on a friend's Blu-Ray layer (not a Pioneer): same problem. I can make disc 1 play by avoiding the menu and going to scene 1, if I do it fast enough...but I have never been able to make disc 2 play past the Sony logo. It locks up after 14 seconds, and no matter what I do (except hit Stop) it won't do anything else. I conclude this is a defective batch. Very frustrating, as I was looking forward to the extras on Disc 2, which are not on the corresponding DVD release at all; that contains only Fincher's commentary...

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:12:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 9:28:28 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
aha! so I'm not crazy!:) Exactly what's happening to me, though I haven't tried the second disc yet. This is my second set as well. Since it was bought (and exhanged once) at Costco, think I'll just return it and source somewhere else- perhaps on Amazon.

I'm a bit upset because I was so anxious to see the movie -missed it in theaters- I wound up watching it the night I got it on via the DVD - which seems very lo-fi (despite the homemade/burned look, it is a true dvd).

After the exchange I had the same problem with the Blu Rays and decided to do the firmware update. I can get it to play by fooling around with scene selection...and the quality is far superior. It looks like a Blu Ray:) Wish I would have waited..

Oh well, thanks for the confirmation- even though it means you have issues too. Good luck getting a set that plays correctly.

Boy I'll tell ya, they really dropped the ball on this release in several ways: the confusing (and inferior quality, imho) DVD disc that many thought was a burned disc and at least a batch/run of quirky blu rays that don't play in some fairly high end pioneer players.

geesh. thumbs down. I wouldn't be botheing with all this if I wan't a Larssen/Salender fan who wants keeper discs of all the movies. Could easily have watched this in HD On Demand the day it came out.
I buy very few discs anymore, but will keep trying till I get a working Blu Ray disc of this one as I have with the Swedish versions. They're all keepers for me.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 12:32:52 AM PDT
Hi Steve,
No, you're definitely not crazy. Other friends of mine have reported the same problems I did. Since I made this post I've been checking with people I know elsewhere in the country. The problem is not universal (obviously, from the reviews, there are working copies of the Blu-Ray Tattoo out there, but it's surprisingly common. From what I have been able to learn, the problem doesn't depend on what player you use (although there may be models that do play both discs, I and others have tried defective discs on various players and computers; the result is always the same). I bought mine at the local Hastings, which was very good about exchanging defective discs for new ones and, finally, when I gave up, about giving me a refund. But others I have talked to got theirs from other places (including Amazon). Sony's web site doesn't mention the problem; nor does DVD Beaver, which is usually pretty good about noting defective discs if they are widely distributed. After my last post, I tried a third (and last) set: exactly the same problems as with the first two. The manager at Hastings thinks the whole batch they got may be defective and said they're due to get more in during the coming week. But without any indication on the disc that it's a new, non-defective batch, I for one am not going to continue trying one after the other in the hopes of getting a good one.

No such problems with the Swedish discs. If you really like those versions, you might consider investing in the boxed set that contains the complete editions of all three movies --- these reinstate about 50+ minutes of footage that was cut before the films were released (as separate movies and discs) in this country. The new footage immensely improves the second and third movies and enhances the first one.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:58:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 9:03:44 AM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Thanks for the further info. Since I've just it (on the lo-fi dvd) guess I'll take this set back and wait a good long while till they get their act together.

Thanks also for the recommendation on the 'uncut' Swedish box set. I think I'll do this. I bought and watched those as they came out so it's been a while and 'it's time'...especially if they give you the full mini-series versions. I *almost* picked that set up when I was in exchanging the (US) GWTDT discs. When I return them for refund this week, I'll get the Swedish box set if they still have it...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:17:37 AM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
errr...how was the DVD "inferior quality" because they made it look (at least cosmetically) like a burned disc?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 2:57:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 3:00:28 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
No, I understood the 'burned disc' gimmick thing right away and -unlike some folks - thought it was a cool way to present it. The dvd just *seemed* to have less definition than most dvds.
I'll admit I'd read this description of it's quality somewhere else as a complaint (after watching it myself) and that may have swayed me to write that description here. Perhaps if I bought a commercial dvd-only of Tattoo it would be exactly the same.

My main issue (still) is that once even though I paid for the 3 disc Blu Ray package the day it came out, my first-ever viewing of the movie was on the (lower clarity, imho) dvd disc because the Blu Rays wouldn't play :(

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:52:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 5:56:12 PM PDT
J. Simon says:
Doesn't work for me either. On second one from net flicks.
P.S. Pioneer BD player is latest firmware.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:43:44 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Update: I took my second exchange copy back to costco this week and swapped it again - hoping they'd gotten a 'new batch' in. I specifically chose a box that had a newer look and had didn't have a price tag on it yet. Alas, this latest set still won't play in Blu Ray normally either. Like the previous set, it hangs when i hit "Play Movie."

I can get the movie BD to play by going to scene selection, selecting the second scene and rewinding to the start of the movie. This is the same way i got the second set to play after I updated the firmware on my Pioneer player. I still haven't tried the extras disc.

Costco likely won't keep this title in stock forever (and i have better things to do with my time:) so I will decide whether or not to simply return for refund- and *maybe* try buying it somehwere else in a few months- or keep it.

I did ask the Costco returns folks again if there were a lot of people returning this Blu Ray title ...and again got a "no" response. So I gotta think it plays ok on some players and doesn't on certain others. Hopefully Sony figures it out at some point and -importantly- doesn't screw up other new releases...Though as I mentioned earlier, I don't buy that many discs anymore. Just ones I think are going to be keepers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:54:42 PM PDT
Update: It may be that even the defective Blu-Rays of Tatoo that we're talking about do play on some players and not on others, but with the (now four) copies I have tried (from two different sources), none have played correctly, and the second disc (the one with the supplements) won't play at all. With the help of some friends, I have tested each of these four sets on four different players: a Pioneer, a Samsung, a Phillips, and a desktop PC. The defective discs won't play on any of these machines, and each disc screws up in the same way. It would seem that the discs themselves are defective. It's clear from the reviews, though, that some lucky people who bought this set got Blu-Ray discs that work fine. Trouble is, I know of no way to tell from the packaging whether a given set is defective or not. (In at least one case in the past, a manufacturer that had released some defective pressings of a DVD announced that newly pressed DVDs would carry a different number and offered to replace (free of charge and mailing costs) defective DVDs any of its customers had bought --- Sony, are you listening? Whatever one may think of the film, Fincher is too good a director (and this is too major a release) to be treated so shabbily. Also, I'm going to be mighty wary in the future of buying other Sony Blu Ray discs...

Posted on May 31, 2012 1:00:19 PM PDT
Mr. R. Dodd says:
Wish I'd seen all this before we bought the blu-ray discs from Amazon.....:-(. How can they be so incompetent as to release a popular film that just won't play on popular BD players.....the mind boggles!!

Posted on May 31, 2012 6:18:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 6:42:11 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Update: last week i hooked up a new-ish Panasonic BD player which came bundled with my new-ish TV (both with 3D capability) to watch my first ever 3D movie at home. After setting it up, connecting to the net/updating it's firmware and watching 'Underworld Awakening' (alas, i'm a fan:) with the goggles on...I decided to check out the GWTDT disc.

It played like a charm in the newer player (in 2D naturally).

For me, this still doesn't excuse that the Dragaon Tattoo BD didn't play in my two year old higher end Pioneer BD player (it has superior audio converters)...it just proves that it Definitely doesn't play in some BD players, but plays in others. Thus the confusion and non-recall of all the discs, I guess.

Per above, when i first bought the movie i tried to play it (and eventually it's exchange) in my 'best' BD player. I only got the Sony logo, then blank screen nothing- until, at someone's suggestion here i updated firmware. Even with this latest update in the Pioneer, the "Play Movie" tab on the menu doesn't function, but I can fake it into playing by using scene selection to jump ahead to the second scene and manually reversing it. Ridiculous.

It still doesn't play in my computer -my Cyberlink Power DVD Blu-Ray playback software says it's in an unrecognizable format. I have to decide if I want to pay $79 to update that software to play this one movie (probably not:).

The combo pack also offered the Ultraviolet license which-supposedly- lets you stream and download movies to PCs if the movies are so licensed and you have the one-time only code. Cool!! if it only worked :(

After hassling setting up a UV account I tried to download the digital file - i travel a lot and many hotels have very slow 'broadband', so playing a movie file off a portable HD is (much) preferable. UV wouldn't let me download. Gave me an error message and the option for streaming only. When I tried to go through the DL process again it said my code was now invalid (since it had been used on the unsuccessful setup). Wonderful.

The whole thing has been very frustrating.

But at least it now plays in the (newer) 3D BD player.

Posted on May 31, 2012 11:13:53 PM PDT
Your info is really interesting, because one of the many machines on which I tried (with zero success) to play GWTDT was a friend's Panasonic. (I doubt that it was the same model you now have, but I'm sure its firmware was up to date, as mine is.) The disc didn't work on that machine in the same way it didn't work on any of the machines I tried. What a surprise! Neither did any of the replacement I got from Hastings, where I bought the first one, before I gave up. This together with other posts suggests that I was probably wrong in my original assumption that there were some defective disc sets, which wouldn't play on any machines, and other non-defective sets. Your experience shows that even the sets that seem okay don't play on all players on which they should play.

Your word, "frustrating," really describes it. But what is even more maddening to me is that Sony evidently doesn't care. I asked a guy I now who works at Hastings, where they are still stocking the Blue-Ray set, if Sony had issued a recall. Nope. He let me look over a set they had just recently gotten in to see if there was a notice, perhaps in tiny print, that a previous pressing had been defective and that the defect had been fixed. Nope. Since I still want to see the extras on the second disc, which won't play at all on my machine, I rented one of the brand new ones. Will it play? Have they fixed the defect? Nope. I went to Sony's web site looking for information about how to get a defective set replaced. Was there such information? Nope. Conclusion: Sony doesn't care whether its products are any good or not. Nor does anyone associated with this high-profile disc.

My guy at Hastings did comment that several who had bought the Blu-Ray had replaced it, as I did, had the same problem, as I did, then eventually given up, as I did. He also said that this had recently happened with a couple of other recent releases, all Sony.

Anyway, congratulations on discovering a way, albeit expensive (replace the Blu-Ray player itself!) to get the damned thing to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:19:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 9:49:18 AM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Unfortunately my 'fix' wasn't intentional. I got the new 3D player "free" with my new TV. It's just coincidence that TGWTDT BD disc plays in it.

There are some- maybe even many- who say the era of owning a physical disc is over, streaming is now the way...Blu-Ray never caught on anywhere nearly as big as the (quantum leap) DVD format did.. etc

With Sony's apparent disregard for the many who don't have this year's BD player, apparently they think the same thing.

I usually rent via cable/stream whether it's On Demand or whatever, only buying the discs for movies I think I'll want to view more than once. So perhaps they're using this reasoning. Blu-Ray sales are secondary to renting via stream (or purchasing via stream on Amazon). A glitch is your own problem.

Still doesn't make it right that these newer discs are unplayable in slightly less than state of the art players. It's simply wrong and- yes- very frustrating.

Sony and others need to put compatability stickers on BD discs that may not play in some players. Immediately.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 3:06:26 PM PDT
ChrisP says:
Never had this much trouble trying to watch Blu-Ray and my player is updated. A disappointing experience.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:59:44 PM PDT
BillO says:
I have a Pioneer BDP-330 Blu-Ray player that I just upgraded the firmware on last Monday (7/02/12), and it will not play this title either. This movie is the only BD disc that this player has not been able to play. Interesting to see I'm not the only one. And trying to view the movie on the included DVD that is burned, not stamped, seems kind of out of the question.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 11:30:51 PM PDT
It's clear from the posts in this discussion (and conversations with friends) that this Blu-ray of this fairly important recent film is simply defective --- at least, many impressions of it are defective. Perhaps what's most discouraging is that Sony seems not to care. Surely they must be aware of this problem (although I couldn't find on their web site a way to send them a message about it). I can remember, not that long ago, when far less dominant companies than Sony would immediately repress defective DVDs (and offer to replace, for free, defective copies of the initial pressing). Really disappointing. I wonder if Fincher knows?

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:47:14 AM PDT
I am glad it's not just me, I thought I was going mad. My Dragon Tattoo Blu Ray won't play on a Pioneer BDLX-08. I thought it was just my player which has been tempremental (putting it kindly!) since I bought it a couple of years ago. My copy of the film works on a friends Blue Ray player just fine. Unfortuantely, the film was a birthday gift and I'm not sure where it was purchased from, so I'm kind of stuck with it!

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:37:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 9:59:11 AM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Update for me.. Due to this GWTDT BD isssue: disc wouldn't play in updated firmare Pioneer BD player or in my computer, which had CyberLink Power DVD 10 (Blu Ray compatible)- Cyberlink just made $70 off me to upgrade their software to version 12.

With the earlier OEM software I got a "disc is not in a recognized format' error message when trying to play Tattoo in the computer. I'm getting ready to head to the mountains for vacation and always take the computer and some discs to plug into the tv at the timeshare (only basic cable there, not sure about broadband speed for streaming).

The issue with GWTDT made me wonder about other BD discs I'd bought since last summer's trip, so I figured the upgrade was going to be needed one way or the other. Using Power DVD 12, the disc plays.

To recap my odyssey with this BD disc: Tattoo plays in my newish 2011 Panasonic 3D BD player but does not play in my (near top of the line) 2 year old Pioneer BD player- with the latest updates. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol - a slightly newer release purchased after Tattoo- plays in both players. And Tattoo now plays in my computer's BD drive, after upgrading to Power DVD 12 ($70, ouch)...

In an earlier post i said Sony should put compatibility warnings on new BD disc releases that may not play in older players. I still think they should do this...though now have upgraded my stuff, intentionally or not (the new BD/3D player was 'free'/bundled with my new tv) so everything seems to play on the primary devices- at the moment.

I haven't seen any mention about the Tattoo Glitch anywhere else- espeically not officially from Sony- so I guess they are letting it go as a one off BD authoring glitch, where this disc obviously doesn't play in all BD players- esp some Pioneers.

My advice is return the disc if possible, don't let them profit from a bad product.
--------------------
On a semi-related note, I bought a Roku streaming box recently and it works fine if you can find the content you want. With Comcast On Demand, I'd already been buying fewer and fewer discs, just the 'keepers.' Roku takes this a fairly big step further.

I've not jumped on the Netflix disc through mail program (but have the $8 per month streaming service for Roku/computer) but *may* finally do this as many friends have done- most years ago. Actually 'owning the disc' is more and more a thing of the past for me- and many folks, I think.

The issue with the Tattoo disc just pushed me toward full-on streaming quicker.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:15:21 AM PDT
spassmeister says:
I'm using Netflix for this disc, and returned the first copy believing it was an issue with my 2 year old, and up to date (firmware) Samsung BD player. I assumed it was the disc. The next one arrived, same problem, so I used my Sony BD player - and - it had the same problem: it loads and starts to work, but if you stop/re-start the player, it tries endlessly to load the disc and cannot. Will have to wait and download an soft copy when available through Amazon.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 4:24:41 PM PDT
BillO says:
I just updated the BIOS on my Pioneer BDP-330 to BU12051700 and it now plays GWTDT. I viewed the first few minutes of it today and look forward to watching it next weekend. I wonder what's so perculiar about this movie that so many Blu-Ray players won't play it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Mar 29, 2012
Latest post:  May 17, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Daniel Craig (DVD - 2012)
4.1 out of 5 stars (1,602)