From the Back Cover
- Automate routine administration tasks you've always performed manually
- Instantly collect and modify IOS router configurations and other data
- Write Syslog scripts to document failures, monitor network health, collect statistics, and send alarm messages
- Implement automated network performance measurement using IP SLA
- Use the Embedded Event Manager's event detectors, server, and policies to customize device operation
- Trigger preplanned actions to correct problems as they arise
- Simplify policy management using the Tcl script refresh feature
- Protect Tcl script security with digital signatures and PKI
- Understand how Tcl functions within the Cisco IOS environment
- Master Tcl syntax and commands through hands-on practice
- Learn best scripting practices through expert examples
- Quickly modify this book's examples for your own environment
About the Author
Ray Blair, CCIE No. 7050, is a Vertical Solutions Architect and has been with Cisco Systems for more than 10 years, working primarily with large network designs. He has almost 22 years of experience with designing, implementing, and maintaining networks that have included nearly all networking technologies. During the early stages of his career, he wrote many applications using Assembly language and C. Mr. Blair maintains three CCIE certifications in Routing and Switching, Security, and Service Provider. He is also a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and coauthor of the Cisco Secure Firewall Services Module book.
Arvind Durai , CCIE No. 7016, is an Advanced Services Technical Leader for Cisco Systems. His primary responsibility in the past 10 years has been in supporting major Cisco customers in the enterprise sector, including financial, manufacturing, e-commerce, state government, utility (smart grid networks) and health-care sectors. Some of his focuses have been on security, multicast, network virtualization, and he has authored several white papers and design guides in various technologies. He has leveraged Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and Tool Command Language (Tcl) scripts in various customer designs. Mr. Durai maintains two CCIE certifications: Routing and Switching, and Security. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in electronics and communication, a master’s degree in electrical engineering (MS), and master’s degree in business administration (MBA), and is a coauthor of Cisco Secure Firewall Services Module.
John Lautmannis a Software Engineer for Cisco Systems. He has developed and enhanced network management software for nearly 14 years. Before joining Cisco, he held positions in customer support and software testing. With six networking patents, John has been involved in the development of new Cisco IOS features such as data-link switching, syslog, configuration rollback and archiving, IOS Tcl interpreter, digitally signed Tcl scripts, and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) ping and trace. Mr. Lautmann holds a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science and master’s degrees in both business and engineering.