- Paperback: 216 pages
- Publisher: Pearson; 3 edition (March 2, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0137154534
- ISBN-13: 978-0137154531
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.4 x 10.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 15.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,226,812 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Teaching Children Science: Discovery Methods for Elementary and Middle Grades (3rd Edition) 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Discover what to read next through the Amazon Book Review. Learn more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
Teaching Children Science: Discovery Methods for the Elementary and Middle Grades, Third Edition
Joseph Abruscato, Retired from University of Vermont
Donald DeRosa, Boston University
Using the discovery approach made popular through Abruscato’s comprehensive text Teaching Children Science: A Discovery Approach, Seventh Edition , this truncated version excludes the content and activities covered in Parts II-IV of the larger text. Written in an engaging style to attract readers’ interest, this text offers the first nine “methods” chapters of the comprehensive text that cover cooperative learning, questioning and active listening in their classrooms, planning and managing discovery-based units, assessing students’ learning and understanding, and integrating science across the curriculum.
New to This Edition
- MyEducationLab: An Integrated Online Resource. Bring the classroom to life through classroom-based video examples and access to numerous web resources. Look for the www.MyEducationLab.com logo in the margins of the text to identify related media assets. To make this online resource available to your students contact your local Pearson Representative for ordering information.
To order this book WITHOUT MyEducationLab use this ISBN: 9780137154531. To order this book WITH MyEducationLab use this ISBN: 9780136101017.
- New! Coverage of technology/multimedia, engineering, and energy conservation appears in the new Chapter 8 Using Technology to Enhance Science Learning, which includes more earth-friendly and “green” science activities.
- New! Universal Design for Learning discussion in Chapter 9, Adapting the Science Curriculum, presents an approach to designing course instruction, materials, and content to benefit students of all learning styles.
- New! Coverage of curriculum materials including how to distinguish between good and bad science kits and how to utilize them effectively in the classroom.
About the Author
Joseph Abruscato is a former public school science teacher who is presently teaching science methods and curriculum development to pre-service teachers at the University of Vermont. All of his students are engaged in school practicum work that includes the planning and teaching of science units and lessons. He has also authored or co-authored a variety of materials for teachers and students including Teaching Children Science: Discovery Methods for the Elementary and Middle Grades, Third Edition and The Whole Cosmos Catalog of Science Activities.
Dr. Donald DeRosa has worked in the field of science education for twenty years as a classroom teacher; teacher educator; and director of CityLab, a biotechnology-learning laboratory for teachers and students at the Boston University School of Medicine. He is a member of the Department of Curriculum and Teaching where he teaches courses in elementary science education. His research interests focus on the development of effective methods to teach scientific thinking. In addition to conducting workshops on biotechnology education and inquiry-based science teaching for in-service teachers, Dr. DeRosa has co-authored several curriculum supplements in biotechnology and has consulted in the development of biotechnology programs throughout the United States and Europe.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?