Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 23, 2015
I'm sorry, but I could not agree with much Prensky states here. I come from this "digital generation" he speaks of, and I see the holes and fallacies in his arguments. I do agree that students need to be engaged in order to learn (NOTHING new here- educators have been saying this for thousands of years); however, what Prensky is pitching is entitlement. He speaks of "real-world" situations, but how many people in "real-world" situations can say they influence their boss on how and what to work on? Not many can say such. Then why do students, from kindergarten to seniors in high school have much say in what and how they're taught? (Furthermore, what do they truly know about learning in the first place?) If we raise generation after generation on such misleading ideals, we're doing them a grave disservice.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on May 4, 2017
The 21st century is here. Direct instruction is gone. Teachers must grow, adapt, change, and partner with their students to give them the 21st century skills thy need to prosper in an ever increasing digital world. Hardcore but thought provoking...and in most cases, right.
on May 11, 2014
A very helpful book, written with authority on what teaching was and can be, both now and in the future. New ideas, shifting parameters, testing (teacher) boundaries to explore what our students can achieve, and want to achieve. This book guides educators on how to achieve dramatic and real change with clear questioning to achieve positive results in our classrooms. I highly recommend this book and I am looking forward to partnering with my students in their journey of learning and discovery.
on December 13, 2010
I purchased this book as a resource for my classroom after referring to it over and over and over in a research paper for my grad class. Prensky knows what makes "Digital Natives" tick and offers insightful solutions to the digital divide that is causing havoc in our educational institutions. This book outlines one of his solutions, called "Partnering," which is an evolution on the student-centered learning method. In this sense, Prensky urges educators to collaborate and share expertise with students; educators share knowledge of curriculum content, while the students share and utilize their digital expertise. Very interesting and useful.
on July 18, 2015
Someone that has not taught in 30 years wants to tell teachers how to teach. He has a few good ideas that would work, if he were teaching in fantasy land. Only buy it if you have to for a class.
on June 17, 2014
Rather than focusing on what's wrong with our public education system, Prensky tells us exactly how to change our educational philosophy for the better! Tired of losing a third of your students to boredom and behavior issues? Tired of watching your best and brightest go through the motions? Learn how to tap into student passion to make education work for them and less work for you!
on June 24, 2010
We've known for years that education isn't keeping up with the times. As the world moves forward, we still teach the same way we were taught decades ago. But this is the age of YouTube, iPhones, and video games. We can't ban technology... we must embrace it. Mr. Prensky's book shows, with plenty of practical examples, how to partner with the students to harness the power of new, ever changing digital technology. Practical and profound, this little book can change the way you teach forever.
on October 13, 2016
Purchased this for a LMS class and really enjoyed the content.
on August 22, 2011
This book is inspirational and a real think tank. Profound understanding of the students we will serve. The idea of partnering is necessary to reach our students. Marc makes a statement that 50 to 100 % of our students are bored 50 to 100% of the time. It's time to embrace this paradigm shift and begin the process of changing the way we teach.
on December 23, 2012
I bought this I love every thing Marc Prensky writes so I didn't really read the contents just the title. It isn't exactly what I was looking for and I bought another of his books, Brain Gain, which I like much better.