Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tease Monster: A Book About Teasing Vs. Bullying (Building Relationships)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 30, 2014
I had high hopes for this book since as counselor I teach elementary school age children how best to treat each other. The first few pages of the book are great- that teasing is not acting in a kind way. BUT then the book attempts to separate teasing into two categories, mean teasing and "just joking" type of teasing. I think it is extremely confusing to try and make the definition of teasing mean two entirely different things. I think the author should have separated the two behaviors using different terminology, maybe teasing (laughing at somebody- insults, mean words) and joking (laughing with others about a truly funny, harmless situation). The author's examples of the "acceptable" type of teasing are still unkind and insulting. As I was reading the book aloud, I skipped entire pages just to avoid confusing the students. I do not want to reinforcement any type of behavior that could hurt a person. The book sends a message that we shouldn't feel sad when something mean is said if it's just a little mean (the author's opinion of appropriate teasing). This book could have been a great teaching tool BUT it took a very wrong turn. Teasing is wrong- end of story!
on April 15, 2013
Ok, I love this book. I read it to my son's 1st grade class & they all enjoyed it too. The teacher loved it too...maybe it was just my amazing storytelling skills, but I'm sure the book had something to do with it! Great colorful and fun pictures, great message and a fun read! So well written!
on June 12, 2013
Children often confuse the two. Julia explains through example how to determine the difference. Playful teasing does not hurt another one's feelings while bullying does. The book provides an opportuntity for conversation about your own child's behaviors towards others as well as how others have treated him/her.
on April 12, 2013
The story is difficult to understand and doesn't seem to hold their attention. The children I read the story to didn't really understand it. This was not Julia Cook's best story and I usually love her books.
on June 19, 2015
There were a few things I didn't quite agree with in this book, but it provided a great opportunity for me to talk with my son about it. We don't agree with name calling, even if it is meant to be nice, like brainiac or friendly teasing, like klutz. It was good to talk about what behavior we choose, and how to interpret the behavior of others, especially because so many people tease each other these days. Overall, I think this book can really help kids who are being teased at school, to know the difference between bullying and friendly teasing. I will personally teach my son not to tease at all, but to be honest and sincere, and not to call names, but to praise or criticize individual behaviors.
on May 29, 2016
My daughter who is 3 really got this book now she tells me all the time that is mean teasing or nice teasing when she hears something. There where a couple of parts I had to re word for her because her age it was a little confusing to her the way it was written but not many, I just wrote my "corrections" above the sentence to keep it consistent when I read it to her multiple times.
on March 28, 2015
One of my favorite authors. Julia Cook has these books that teach lessons that we encounter on a daily basis in our classrooms but puts a funny spin to it so the children really enjoy the story. When it comes from a "kid" perspective, they seem to understand and relate alot more. I teach first so I had to read this book a little at a time. I think geared more for 3-5
on March 18, 2014
I am reading this book with students in a Language Learning Disabled 3-4th grade class. It generates specific discussions about teasing and bullying and helps students differentiate the terms. It also helps them to self-reflect about their own peer relationships. My classes enjoy many of Julia Cook's books and they reach students in 1st through 5th grades easily with modifications as needed to explain vocabulary and concepts.

EFG, Speech Pathologist
on March 25, 2014
my son, a 10 year old boy, likes to tease others, in different situations, but he hates when some one laughs at him. so, this book showed him that whatever you do to others you must expect for yourself. it was most useful book to teach him some manners towards his friends when something happens to them. thank you so much for the opportunity amazon.com gives us to buy such books from this corner of the world.
on July 9, 2013
My therapy kids love this book and we read it over and over and talk about teasing and how it differs or is the same as being a bully.