Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on April 14, 2012
This album marks my first Tommy Bolin CD. I had heard of him prior to buying this, but never knew much about his life, career, or playing style. And I must say, he still remains something of an enigma to me. His story is pretty common in the annals of rock music: young player struggles for a hew years to make it big, finally does, lends out talent to a few different bands, goes solo, succumbs to pernicious temptations, dies a tragic and premature death after overdosing. And though this tale had been told and retold before, I nevertheless find Tommy Bolin's story unique. He was in two pretty high profile bands (The James Gang and Deep Purple) before going solo. He released only two solo albums (Teaser and Private Eyes). And he inspired countless other guitarists in his wake.

What makes him so unique in my view is the eclecticism in his playign style. He seemed to be very versatile. At once he can sound like Rory Gallagher, and the next Jeff Beck. He plays slow, melodic tunes, and then shreds with the controlled force of one who's been playing for decades. And his singing voice is several notches above that of the usual guitar god.

This album, Teaser, has some wonderful playing on it. "Wild Dogs" is jaw dropping; "Teaser" and "Dreamer" and lovely tunes, and "Savannah Woman" is a cool little number.

Recommended to fans of incendiary or melodic guitar music.
on April 24, 2013
for those of you that have never listened to this artist than your missing out on a whole different sound of music and thats exactly what it is.this artists has a sound that rises above anything that i've ever listened to and what I mean buy that is that his music ,sound,rythym is so unique and all of his own.He plays that guitar and it comes alive.this music is something that you wished was still around,its different thats what makes so unique.you will be absolutly blown away when you listen to this.its to bad that he is no longer around to share his music to the all that love his sound.you'll love it,thanks
on April 7, 2011
I was drawn to the original Teaser album when I heard the title track on the radio at the time the album was first released. I found the original album to be a frustrating listen because, while I could appreciate the quality of the songs and the performance, the sound was awful. It could have been a classic, if only... A few years ago I got the Japanese manufactured CD version of the original album and found that it sounded much better, even though it did not seem to have been remastered. The balance in the force had been restored somewhat. Then came the two editions of Whips and Roses, with a far more muscular sound and some good re-workings of the original tracks. Whips and Roses was far from perfect though, mainly due to some strange vocal inclusions and variations. The vocal on Lotus, which is so evocative on the original, sounds as if it has been pulped and then reconstituted.

Teaser Deluxe is a continuation of the Whips and Roses theme, including the same horrible vocal on Lotus (only perhaps worse). The most notable difference is that many of the songs are longer than on Whips and Roses, particularly Wild Dogs and Lotus which feature lengthy guitar work outs and extend to over 10 minutes each. While I appreciate that some will love these long jams, I would have preferred a bit of judicious editing and inclusion of an enhanced version of the original vocals. Do we really need to hear "why do you keep playing the parts I don't sing on?" at the start of the Wild Dogs jam?

Anyway, there is some exciting music on Teaser Deluxe and if, like me, you love the original album, you will probably be quite happy to own Teaser Deluxe. I would have given it four stars if it were not for the slightly bitter aftertaste that I experience after listening to it. While I am sure that it is possible to create an ultimate re-worked/remastered version of the original album, perhaps it is time to leave it be.

To the uninitiated, get the original first and find out what all the fuss is about.
on March 30, 2011
The vocals on Lotus sound a little muddy (but the extended jams are great on this song), the jam on Wild Dogs runs a bit long, and the version of Savannah Woman is no where near as good as the original (it's more of a rock version, while the original is jazzier), but this Deluxe CD has many fine moments, along with the inclusion of an excellent version of Crazed Fandango (and an alternate take as a bonus track too). All in all, is this as good as the original album? I can't say--they're different and if you're a fan of the original, you will enjoy hearing these alternate takes on the songs. The sound quality is very good, and the CD is overall every bit as enjoyable as the original album, they're just different! So, if you like Teaser, think of this as a Teaser remix with some extended jamming and a few slight changes here and there, with an extra song (Crazed Fandango) that was not on the original album. Overall very good and must have for any fan of Tommy Bolin--but I say again you should really get the original album too!
on February 25, 2017
Amazing. Buy a copy and discover the alchemy for yourself.
on July 15, 2015
Awesome disc, love it...
on August 5, 2013
Had this on vinyl but was lost or stolen.. had to get it back somehow. and just never lost the appreciation of this album and 'Private Eyes'
on September 12, 2011
I remembered Tommy Bolin's work from back in the 70's - a fine guitarist with a couple of pretty good albums. I never saw him live in the Pacific NW (Seattle). Then a couple of year's ago I heard a cut from the Ebbett's Field disc on satellite radio and got taken in by what a great guitarist he really was when he stretched out. I have picked up a lot of the Archive recordings - really good work with pretty adequate recording quality. But this is special. If you like jam band music (I do) and want to hear what Umphrey's McGee, Moe and Widespread Panic (with Jimmy Herring) are doing today but few people could touch 35 years ago, this is a quality recording with the kind of stuff that never survived onto major label studio albums back in the day.

Great stuff...
on March 18, 2011
Like the other reviews said...it's not the original, from the cover on down, but it's better than the long standing void. I guess I'll need to start the search for a good clean vinyl original. I do like the long version of Lotus but I am disappointed to find out that this whole disc was not what it appeared to be; a straight reissue plus bonus tracks. I guess the alternate cover was a clue? I'm not sure the Amazon description was clear about that.

I can appreciate John Bolin trying to keep his brother's legacy alive but some (many) of his archive releases have been questionable and make me wonder if he's in this for Tommy or himself. It's almost getting to the point of tarnishing rather than honoring the legacy.

Wasn't Nemperor, the original label, a subsidiary of WEA at that time, not Sony? Whomever it is, I hope someone can free the original someday.
77 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2011
Unlike most of the "Deluxe" edition CDs coming out now, this CD is a very desirable retake on "Teaser", so much so that it is like a totally different album. I'll always love the original versions of these songs, these different mixes/takes are much different and Tommy's guitar still rocks with his classic style. It's a must have for any Bolin fan. Excellent production quality too.