- Shipping Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Domestic Shipping: Item can be shipped within U.S.
- International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More
- ASIN: B000HCW6YE
- Item model number: CAMS01
- Date first available at Amazon.com: October 9, 2007
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #20,878 in Software (See Top 100 in Software) Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please click here
- Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes
Camtasia Studio V 5.1
- Camtasia SmartFocus keeps track of where the action happens during your recording. Then it produces a video that zooms in on the parts you need to show, keeping viewers mesmerized...even on iPod-size screens.
- Get started faster! Camtasia Recorder takes the guesswork out of selecting an area to record. Use the clever, new crosshairs to effortlessly select a window or region.
- TechSmith ExpressShow creates a single, beautiful Flash SWF file that can be easily embedded into any Web site, blog, or multimedia project. This is Flash video that makes you look good. Very good.
- Camtasia Studio lets bloggers record and publish to Screencast.com, and blog about it in less than 15 minutes. Or using the built-in FTP support, moving videos to your own server can be just as painless.
- Before you start editing, let Camtasia Studio know how you intend to use your videoWeb, CD, blog, iPod, etc.and you'll see a live preview of the final result the whole time you're editing. No surprises!
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Camtasia Studio – Train. Present. Persuade. This is the power of screen recording. Delight audiences near or far with training, presentations, demos, and screencasts that get results and look fantastic. Camtasia Studio software is smart, powerful, and does the hard work for you. Easily record your screen, PowerPoint, Webcam video, and audio. Record in front of a live audience or from your desk. Edit for professional polish, enhance foremphasis. Share crystal-clear videos at any screen size…on Web pages, blogs, CDs, or portable devices like the iPod. Make them wonder how you did it. What's new in Camtasia Studio 5.1: 1) Focus attention with Spotlight and Highlighter callouts 2)Add callouts faster, edit them easily 3)Set the mood with a music track 4)Put your screencasts on the iPhone and iPod Touch 5)Customize FLV videos with ExpressShow 6)Organize and present Flash videos with Camtasia Theater.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Camtasia's core competency is capturing the screen, adding audio narration (during capture or in post production), editing to a final cut, and producing in a wide variety of formats. It excels at all of these tasks. This latest version adds some clever and very useful Zoom-n-Pan functionality, which automatically follows the center of attention on the screen. I have found this very useful, because I can capture at 1600x1200, getting all of the details, edit, then render at a smaller resolution depending on my target delivery media (web, CD, etc.)
I'm not going to go through all the features here. Go to the publisher's web site at techsmith.com web site to watch a bunch of video demos that do a great job of showing what the product can do. Instead, I will share some experience:
1. To take full advantage of this product, you should probably buy the book Camtasia Studio 5: The Definitive Guide (Wordware Applications Library) by Daniel Park, available here on Amazon. Camtasia has good online help, and the aforementioned videos also help, but this book is the missing manual.
2. Bugs dropped my rating from 5 stars to 4. If you make a very complex video (more than 100 clips!), the program becomes a bit unstable, and the project file can get corrupted. This is a big problem, and I would have saved 10 hours of grief if I had known about it ahead of time. It is an indication of how much I otherwise like this product that I did not deduct more stars for this bug. But tech support was very knowledgeable and helpful when I called, and this kept me to a single star deduction.
Please note that very few users ever make a video that complex, so you may use the product for years and never encounter that bug.
3. The Techsmith.com user forums are an invaluable resource. Read through the threads to learn how to use the product and avoid more obscure problems.
4. Get a good microphone! You can't create good audio without a good microphone. Many laptops have very noisy audio input stages, which may impact the quality of your audio. This is not a Camtasia issue, but rather a laptop hardware issue. A good microphone coupled with a clean audio input can create fantastic audio. The book mentioned above has a whole section on capturing good audio. I use a good quality wired Plantronics computer headset that gives good results.
5. Study and try the various output options. Camtasia includes a nice Production Preview feature that lets you create multiple previews, then compare them in the Production Preview Manager. This helps you understand the tradeoffs in audio and video quality with various compression levels for internet delivery.
6. For web delivery, if more than a couple of people will ever view your videos simultaneously, you probably need a streaming server. You can set one up yourself, or you can just Google for a "streaming service provider". I evaluated several after people complained that our web server was too slow. Eventually I purchased a plan from Streamcast.com, which is also owned by Techsmith. Their pricing plans beat everybody else cold, and I've been very happy with their delivery for the last three months.
I think Camtasia is the best solution on the market for screen demos, software training, etc. It is well worth the expense.