Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,125 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,409 reviews
on December 26, 2015
The only thing that could be better is a vintage one in good shape. The problem with vintage is that how does one *really* know it is in good shape without taking it home? The best you can hope for is to discern that it actually works. If you don't have the time or money to gamble on vintage gear, go for this one.

I have 3 other turntables, against which to compare it:

1) Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB. (from here on, I will refer to this as the '120' and the AT-LP60 as the '60) This is a great turntable. It looks better, feels better, but I can't say that I can tell the difference in sound it produces. Some of the things we pay extra for on that model are:

a) Quartz timing control. This is something of value.
b) 78 RPM speed, if you want the option of being able to play back the pre-1950 records. This is something of value.
c) Manual pitch adjustment. I'm told some bad recordings had the speed off, so this is a way to manually correct it. I've got a couple hundred records, and have not yet found one that had the speed obviously off, so I can't see any value in this.
d) Reverse direction. I can't see any value in this either. Some records have hidden messages if you play them backwards. Seems like something that might give a little thrill to hear it once or twice, but to pay extra for this ability? Nah, just go listen to those albums on YouTube to get your thrill.
e) Electronic controls. These will probably hold up better many years down the road than the mechanical controls of the 60. No moving parts = fewer failure points.
f) Counterbalanced tonearm. In theory, this is better, as we can adjust the stylus to ride heavily enough in the grooves to provide good sound, but not so heavy as to cause undue wear to the records. I've read elsewhere where someone measured the weight at the stylus and found this one to be 3 g. When I got the weight adjusted properly on my 120, it was 2.5 g. Not a notable difference, in the end.
g) S-shaped tonearm. They say this is better, but I'll be darned if I can hear the difference.
h) Interchangeable headshell and cartridge. They say a change of cartridge makes a big difference in sound. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars on high-end cartridges to tailor the sound just to their liking. That seems silly to me. Why not just adjust the tone controls on one's amplifier? Or get a proper EQ component. Anyway, I can admit there could be some value in this.
i) USB out option. The 60 is available with this too, for an extra $20. It works great with the free Audacity software. I've ripped several LPs to .wav and .mp3. It's worth paying extra for this feature, if only to make the records portable. But you don't need to upgrade to the 120 to get it.
j) Much heavier. The 120 has a big steel plate inside. I'm not sure what is up with this obsession for vibration dampening. There's no discernable difference in sound as a result of all this damping. Any difference heard would be mostly down to the cartridge.
k) LED strobe, to confirm at a glance that the RPM is correct.

More comparison between the 60 and 120 later.

2) Ion Vinyl Transport turntable. This uses the same mechanism as the ever-popular Crosley Cruiser, but adds battery operation, which I love. With the battery operation option, it is totally portable, not just portable in theory. I bring this to me to the Goodwill and other places for listening to used records. Gotta find out if those scratches are "skippers" before paying the full $1 and taking up room in my apartment for more junk. I bought this for sixty bucks at a local Half Price Books store, which also sells records. I just love this turntable, but it is not at all in the same league as this AT-LP60. It has a ceramic cartridge instead of magnetic. Sound quality is pretty terrible in this class of turntable. If you're listening to a Crosley with this mechanism, you're really missing out on how good vinyl can actually sound.

3) Fisher-Price from 1978. I just gave this to my daughter for Christmas. Check feeBay, you'll see the one. Believe it or not, this has a much better speaker than the Crosley/Ion/Jenson ones, and hence, better sound quality. But of course not comparable to this one, since it still has a ceramic cartridge. For techno-geeks, it has a really interesting drive mechanism though! (check YouTube for 'how to repair a fisher-price turntable)

Now if you're looking at this turntable and you're on a budget, you're likely also looking at the 120 model, for over double the price. Having both of them now, I think this 60 is a much value. For the money, it gives just what one is after:

1) Affordable
2) HiFi-grade sound
3) Not too big or heavy
4) Semi-automatic operation. This is the key difference. It makes it very nearly as convenient to play a record as a CD, yet we still have the option to do it manually.

The 60is about 40% smaller and 70% lighter than the 120, yet it functions just as well. It doesn't take up as much room, and it isn't a back-breaker to occasionally move around.

The one con I've found so far about this turntable is that it comes with a felt slip mat. (same as on the 120) These are a disaster when it comes to static. I opened my 60 yesterday for Christmas, then re-packed it to bring home. I wasn't careful enough in repacking, and I crunched up the edge of the slip mat, so now the records don't spin flat. I pressed it underneath something heavy and flat last night, but it is still jacked up. I've got a couple cork ones inbound to replace these. That will address the static problem, as well as the crunched up problem.

In short, the 120 is probably a much heavier-duty turntable. It will run hour after hour, year after year and keep going. No belts to break, no mechanics to break, nothing to really go wrong, except maybe electronic. But considering it is basically a copy of the famous DJ-favored Technics 1200, which was a mature design to begin with, that's probably not even a concern.

The 60 is a lighter-duty unit. It MIGHT wear out after 10 years of constant, heavy use. But its a lot more affordable, a lot more convenient, and a lot lighter and smaller. (though it can still operate fully with the dust cover down)
33 comments| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
5150+ comments| 1,889 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2016
TL;DR -- broke after 3 months. RPM was never correct since buying the device. Audio Technica, Amazon, and Seller basically told me they can't do anything for me.

I've owned the product for about 3 months. When I first received the product the player would not play at the appropriate RPM. I was told there was an adjuster at the bottom of the player that you can calibrate the speed of the motor. I was able to get to get the speed at the right pace. Than one night I was playing a record it was not playing all the way through and it would skip over and over again. I took the plate off and checked the belt to make sure everything was in order. As soon as I put everything together the speed dropped and it was only spinning at about 25RPMs. The adjuster on the bottom was no longer calibrating anything.

I reached out to Audio Technica and they wanted to charge me to get the system fixed. (nope)
Contacted the Seller (asavings) or something like that and they said they couldn't do anything for me
Contacted Amazon and they also couldn't do anything for me. Buying a product and having it break in 3 mo and having no real assistance other than paying for it to get fixed is a bit extreme. I don't think I'll be buying another Audio Technica product again.
on April 25, 2017
Really good sound but sadly this came broken out of the box where the table spun forever even when stop was pushed. The cure for this was to take off six screws from the bottom and adjust the small levers slightly. Although it was an easy fix, I shouldn't be fixing things out of the box. A couple of quick things. I have had no issues with speed but there are adjustments for pitch on the bottom with two screws. One for 33 1/3 and the other for 45's. They're not easy to adjust and since the table would essentially need to be held up to access them I pray I never need to access these. Have had no issues actually playing albums. For the measly $79.99 it was not a bad deal for it but it's just so cheaply made. The other big complaint is the wiring. It is set up for the non USB player to have just a red and white rca output and the lines only run about a foot and a half off the table so unless you're right above or below your receiver you're gonna be buying extension cables. Overall I'm happy to bring life to my vinyl that has been collecting dust but I would love to upgrade this table to a really nice one that's $400 or so.
on March 21, 2017
When I first opened this turntable, I was extremely disappointed in the quality of materials. This machine was obviously built with the least expensive materials possible, to keep the costs down. The cassette is nice, but everything else is about as cheap as it could be. With that being said, this table sounds amazing. Audio Technicha clearly knew what they were doing when they produced this model. It accomplishes exactly what they intended to: It produces amazing sound, at unique unbeatable price point.

Overall, I'm happy with this player, and I think that it's a good value. If you're used to a heavy duty, old school turntable, that weighs about ten times this much, you may be a little shocked when you realize how light and tiny this table is. Once you plug it in, and play a record, you'll feel a lot better. It honestly has the best sound of any record player that I've ever used.

I'm starting to get used to the light construction, and the machine doesn't look cheap, sitting on the shelf. Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase. I wish my vintage Yamaha that I was replacing sounded this good.
on January 3, 2017
I did a lot of research before choosing a record player and an Audio Technica seemed to be the obvious choice for my price range. I have been using it for about a week so far and am really enjoying it. I purchased a pair of Edifier powered speakers and everything was very easy to set up. The sound is great and the quality of the record player itself seems to be good. I am happy with my choice!
review image
on October 13, 2014
This is a very good Turntable, for the money. It sounds great (with the right stylus), and operates flawlessly. There are no balance, or tracking, adjustments on the tone-arm, but that has not been an issue at all, so far. out of the box the turntable sounds good, but I highly recommend replacing the stock stylus with the AUDIO TECHNICA ATN3600L stylus. This replacement stylus is much thinner than the stock one, and really brings out the mids, and highs, in music. Bass sounds great also.The original stylus can sound kind of muddy at times. Trust me, you will notice a huge difference. Having a built-in (switchable) pre-amp is also nice. It allows you to connect the turntable to a receiver that does not have a dedicated phono input. You can also connect the turntable to a computer (line-in), amplified speakers, or a stand alone amplifier. The turntable already comes with RCA female (stereo) to 3.5mm male, and female adapters, in the box. The turntable outputs are non-removable RCA male (stereo). and not very long. Since the turntable has a built in preamp, I have tried it with several lengths of good quality RCA extension cables, from 1 foot, up up to 25 feet, and have noticed no degradation in sound quality, or any annoying humming. This is a real plus. You would not want to do this if connecting a long cable up to the standard Phono input, as this could cause all kinds of noise, and sound quality issues, unless you use the line-out, and install a phono preamp very close to the turntable, and then connect the long RCA extension cables to the AUX/Line in of a regular amp/receiver. I have had no problems with this turntable in any configuration. The turntable also comes with an adapter to play 7" 45rpm records. The automatic features are great, as the turntable will automatically return the tone-arm, and shut off when the record is finished playing. The cueing feature is nice also. I replaced an old Pioneer turntable (that finally died) with this one, and cannot tell any sound difference, as they both sound great. I have been listening to records, since the 70's, and still enjoy it today, even with all the other modern forms of digital music available. I would highly recommend this turntable to anyone looking to get into vinyl, or replace an aging, existing turntable. You cannot go wrong, for the money.
on March 16, 2017
This is my first vinyl player and will be my last, (not that its a bad thing). I just wanted something inexpensive and reliable to play vinyl records. This is it. I got it used with one minor unnoticeable scratch on the cover. I simplicity of this player makes it easy to "plug and play" your records. The rca cords already being connected to player doesn't bother me at all. If you want to know about the usb use of this product please read another review because I have yet to use it. My records plays expected. I have this vinyl player connected to my studio monitors.
on April 14, 2017
I have owned 5 different record players including a vintage turntable. There are many things I love about this player. I like that it has a dust cover that you can close while a record is spinning on it. It comes with a slip mat for under the vinyl. I like that it has an automatic arm that will play and return itself for you. I was nervous about having an arm that lowers itself onto the vinyl mechanically, I was scared it would eventually break and scratch up my vinyls. It has not done this and it has proven me wrong. It works so well and fluid.
There is a button to manually lower the arm at any point in the record, which is helpful for when you have something other than a 12" or a 7".
I have owned some lower end record players and I would recommend this over a Crosley any day. I've never owned one of those suitcase models, but I have used them, and don't even think about getting one of those. You will be so much happier with this turntable. The sound quality is great, and the Bluetooth was not a feature I was thinking I would use, but I was proven wrong again. The Bluetooth connects seamlessly with my soundbar that I use for my television. The sound quality is beautiful. I like the sound of vinyl and it really compliments the records even using a soundbar. If you are back and forth between models and can't decide, choose this one. I was you, couldn't decide and deterred by questionable reviews. Get this turntable, you won't be sorry.
Thanks for a great product audio technica!
on May 4, 2017
Improvement over my 1990's Sony. It's still an entry level table and not an audiophile item but for sporadic listening it's very good. If you have been away from vinyl records or want to get started I can highly recommend this turntable. I suggest it as a first turntable for it's ease of use and to be honest you could probably enjoy it for several years unless you become addicted to vinyl like I am all over again and feel the need to upgrade. You can't upgrade this table due to fixed cartridge. You can change the stylus though. I had a crappy turn table in the 70's and this is a huge improvement. Easy set up. Don't know of the longevity of the product but with care it should be as good or better than my previous Sony.