Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,150 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,441 reviews
on December 26, 2015
The only thing that could be better is a vintage one in good shape. The problem with vintage is that how does one *really* know it is in good shape without taking it home? The best you can hope for is to discern that it actually works. If you don't have the time or money to gamble on vintage gear, go for this one.

I have 3 other turntables, against which to compare it:

1) Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB. (from here on, I will refer to this as the '120' and the AT-LP60 as the '60) This is a great turntable. It looks better, feels better, but I can't say that I can tell the difference in sound it produces. Some of the things we pay extra for on that model are:

a) Quartz timing control. This is something of value.
b) 78 RPM speed, if you want the option of being able to play back the pre-1950 records. This is something of value.
c) Manual pitch adjustment. I'm told some bad recordings had the speed off, so this is a way to manually correct it. I've got a couple hundred records, and have not yet found one that had the speed obviously off, so I can't see any value in this.
d) Reverse direction. I can't see any value in this either. Some records have hidden messages if you play them backwards. Seems like something that might give a little thrill to hear it once or twice, but to pay extra for this ability? Nah, just go listen to those albums on YouTube to get your thrill.
e) Electronic controls. These will probably hold up better many years down the road than the mechanical controls of the 60. No moving parts = fewer failure points.
f) Counterbalanced tonearm. In theory, this is better, as we can adjust the stylus to ride heavily enough in the grooves to provide good sound, but not so heavy as to cause undue wear to the records. I've read elsewhere where someone measured the weight at the stylus and found this one to be 3 g. When I got the weight adjusted properly on my 120, it was 2.5 g. Not a notable difference, in the end.
g) S-shaped tonearm. They say this is better, but I'll be darned if I can hear the difference.
h) Interchangeable headshell and cartridge. They say a change of cartridge makes a big difference in sound. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars on high-end cartridges to tailor the sound just to their liking. That seems silly to me. Why not just adjust the tone controls on one's amplifier? Or get a proper EQ component. Anyway, I can admit there could be some value in this.
i) USB out option. The 60 is available with this too, for an extra $20. It works great with the free Audacity software. I've ripped several LPs to .wav and .mp3. It's worth paying extra for this feature, if only to make the records portable. But you don't need to upgrade to the 120 to get it.
j) Much heavier. The 120 has a big steel plate inside. I'm not sure what is up with this obsession for vibration dampening. There's no discernable difference in sound as a result of all this damping. Any difference heard would be mostly down to the cartridge.
k) LED strobe, to confirm at a glance that the RPM is correct.

More comparison between the 60 and 120 later.

2) Ion Vinyl Transport turntable. This uses the same mechanism as the ever-popular Crosley Cruiser, but adds battery operation, which I love. With the battery operation option, it is totally portable, not just portable in theory. I bring this to me to the Goodwill and other places for listening to used records. Gotta find out if those scratches are "skippers" before paying the full $1 and taking up room in my apartment for more junk. I bought this for sixty bucks at a local Half Price Books store, which also sells records. I just love this turntable, but it is not at all in the same league as this AT-LP60. It has a ceramic cartridge instead of magnetic. Sound quality is pretty terrible in this class of turntable. If you're listening to a Crosley with this mechanism, you're really missing out on how good vinyl can actually sound.

3) Fisher-Price from 1978. I just gave this to my daughter for Christmas. Check feeBay, you'll see the one. Believe it or not, this has a much better speaker than the Crosley/Ion/Jenson ones, and hence, better sound quality. But of course not comparable to this one, since it still has a ceramic cartridge. For techno-geeks, it has a really interesting drive mechanism though! (check YouTube for 'how to repair a fisher-price turntable)

Now if you're looking at this turntable and you're on a budget, you're likely also looking at the 120 model, for over double the price. Having both of them now, I think this 60 is a much value. For the money, it gives just what one is after:

1) Affordable
2) HiFi-grade sound
3) Not too big or heavy
4) Semi-automatic operation. This is the key difference. It makes it very nearly as convenient to play a record as a CD, yet we still have the option to do it manually.

The 60is about 40% smaller and 70% lighter than the 120, yet it functions just as well. It doesn't take up as much room, and it isn't a back-breaker to occasionally move around.

The one con I've found so far about this turntable is that it comes with a felt slip mat. (same as on the 120) These are a disaster when it comes to static. I opened my 60 yesterday for Christmas, then re-packed it to bring home. I wasn't careful enough in repacking, and I crunched up the edge of the slip mat, so now the records don't spin flat. I pressed it underneath something heavy and flat last night, but it is still jacked up. I've got a couple cork ones inbound to replace these. That will address the static problem, as well as the crunched up problem.

In short, the 120 is probably a much heavier-duty turntable. It will run hour after hour, year after year and keep going. No belts to break, no mechanics to break, nothing to really go wrong, except maybe electronic. But considering it is basically a copy of the famous DJ-favored Technics 1200, which was a mature design to begin with, that's probably not even a concern.

The 60 is a lighter-duty unit. It MIGHT wear out after 10 years of constant, heavy use. But its a lot more affordable, a lot more convenient, and a lot lighter and smaller. (though it can still operate fully with the dust cover down)
33 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
5150+ comments| 1,905 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2017
I have owned 5 different record players including a vintage turntable. There are many things I love about this player. I like that it has a dust cover that you can close while a record is spinning on it. It comes with a slip mat for under the vinyl. I like that it has an automatic arm that will play and return itself for you. I was nervous about having an arm that lowers itself onto the vinyl mechanically, I was scared it would eventually break and scratch up my vinyls. It has not done this and it has proven me wrong. It works so well and fluid.
There is a button to manually lower the arm at any point in the record, which is helpful for when you have something other than a 12" or a 7".
I have owned some lower end record players and I would recommend this over a Crosley any day. I've never owned one of those suitcase models, but I have used them, and don't even think about getting one of those. You will be so much happier with this turntable. The sound quality is great, and the Bluetooth was not a feature I was thinking I would use, but I was proven wrong again. The Bluetooth connects seamlessly with my soundbar that I use for my television. The sound quality is beautiful. I like the sound of vinyl and it really compliments the records even using a soundbar. If you are back and forth between models and can't decide, choose this one. I was you, couldn't decide and deterred by questionable reviews. Get this turntable, you won't be sorry.
Thanks for a great product audio technica!
on December 23, 2016
For the price it's a nice turntable. I had a Pioneer PL-530 back in 1977 that was direct drive and one of the best at the time but it was very expensive back then. To be honest this one plays as good, minus the strobe and a few features. This unit looks nice too. Wish vinyl records never went away for so long because they truly sound better. This will be just fine for someone that wants good quality without spending hundreds more.
on July 31, 2014
I'm not an audiophile or a tech head, but I am a musician and I generally know what I like to hear. I know what sounds 'bad' to me, and I know what sounds 'good' to me. And to me, this turntable goes significantly beyond 'good'.

I have a fairly simple setup. I have this turntable connected to a Sonos Connect, and I send the audio to a group of Sonos Play:1 speakers throughout the home and occasionally the Sonos Playbar as well.

The turntable itself was a breeze to set up. Removed all the packaging and securing tape, put the turntable in place and fed the drive belt over the drive spindle, plugged in the power, plugged in the audio cables, and removed the needle cover. I was playing a record in 5 minutes from the UPS guy delivering this.

There is incredible clarity across the entire audible spectrum. The lows are deep but not muddy. The mids are punchy but not over-powering. The highs are crisp but not shrill.

For the price, I don't think I could have done any better. I love this turntable!
on January 3, 2017
Great deal for your money if you want an entry level turntable for ocassional LP listening (my case). Can't explain myself with those technical or esoteric (lol) concepts about vinyl and turntables but I can say that this one meet my expectactions offering a great sound through a good old Akai system that I own. Bass run smooth and treble don't hurt that much. Stereo signal is very well placed and enough wide (I tested with the 2016 edition of Piper at the Gates of Dawn). This is a entry level turntable as I said, so there's no weight or antiskate arm control. What do you want for THAT price? Plugged through the PHONO input of my amp/receiver the LP60 is really a very easy gear to setup and enjoy. Very well packaged, understable user`s manual, 3 different cables for the 3 different configurations of listening you can choose. About the design is very simple (aluminium finishing) and maybe is a bit light, dust cover looks not that solid so an extra caution to manipulate it will be good.
on February 10, 2016
My 70's vintage Technics needs some TLC, and while it's out getting refurbished I didn't want to miss out on playing my collection of vinyl. This arrived today, and I'm now listening to the Eagles Hotel California album.

Setup is simple and straight forward, just make sure you read the directions when you put the aluminum platter on and put the belt on. The sound quality is excellent, the controls are logical and easy to understand. I route it into the home theater system, and the only (very minor) complaint is the length of the RCA jacks. They are short, but a little equipment rearranging solved that issue.

This is good enough that I'll probably leave it in place when my Technics is returned, and the Technics will go downstairs and plug into the home theater system there.
on August 30, 2016
Sounds great for a cheap turntable. The last time I heard a quality turntable, I could barely walk so I am no expert, but I have this playing through a harman/kardon AVR 3700 which is connected to two JBL Studio 590 tower speakers and I cannot hear any extra noise. For a $99 turntable playing through $2500 speakers, I can only say it sounds great! I've only had issue with skipping on one part of one specific side of one vinyl, so I know it is not the AT-LP60's fault. I would say this is a go to starter turntable, if you've already got powered speakers, or a receiver/speaker set-up. If you are looking for something easily portable, or with built in speakers, this is not your turntable.
on April 16, 2016
I ordered this after its big brother the AT-LP120-USB and it's almost as good as but not quite. It is the best as you can get for the price! The dust cover does scratch really easy but that has nothing to do with the quality of music this plays. I would recommend it if not enough money for its big brother the AT-LP120-USB without hesitation!
on February 9, 2017
I'm no expert on turntables, but I do know it sounds good and my dad can now listen to his record collection again. I got it on sale during the holidays and I couldn't be happier neither could he.

If you just want access to vinyl, this is the turntable for you. It sounds as good as any other music device to the untrained ear and untrained it shall stay.