Customer Reviews: Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Stereo Turntable System, Silver
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

Color: Silver|Change

on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
4848 comments| 1,484 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2010
You really can't get a better turntable for this price. It wasn't broken or cracked when it arrived, it was easy to assemble, and it sounds great. For under 100 bucks that is more than I expected. The other cool thing about this turntable that is not in the description is that it's easily upgradeable. The turntable comes with a ATN3600L stylus. You can replace that stylus with the ATN3600DLX stylus for even better sound quality and performance. You can also get a better belt for it too but I haven't looked into that yet. It's not going to get any better than this until you hit about the $300 range.
9393 comments| 846 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2011
A very nice "workhorse" of a turntable. You will more than likely need a receiver. This table has phono plugs in back and comes with 2 adapters with a 3.5mm headphone jack. One for female 3.5mm and one for male 3.5mm. I have my turntable running into my PC and have the 3.5mm auxiliary in jack enabled all the time so all I have to do is turn the turntable on and ..presto! over my PC. Easy for recording. There is nothing fancy about this beauty. The "pause" button is a nice touch. You can press the pause and it will raise the needle so you can leave and come back later to the same place. That is also how you pick tracks. Just press pause and then nudge the needle to the desired track. There are no "extra" controls etc.. that is what a receiver is for. Check out a cheap receiver and the Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers for cheap speakers. [...]
I bought my speakers from Amazon for $40 and they are a great addition to this turntable. Well built from quality materials and at 60 watts a piece. I can't recommend a receiver though. Mine is an old old old Realistic. Anyhow, this is a fantastic item. I think the rubber belt will break in the future but probably not for years. It is thin. In my opinion but still strong enough. Like I said I give it 5 years of steady use or so. A very cheap part to replace. I will place a pic of the rear panel in the product images section. Check it out if you are wondering.
review image review image review image review image
1414 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2010
I ordered this turntable so that I could (hopefully) listen to LPs I haven't been able to hear for the past 25+ years. (Old turntable broke; CDs were the "in" thing at the time, so I never replaced my old turntable). I'm not an audiophile as some are, plus I have hearing loss in one ear, so all I know is "Does it sound good?" Well, I can tell you that I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound that I heard from LPs that are old, and some not in the best of condition.

First, the set-up. I worried a bit about putting the belt on. (Did I also mention that I'm a klutz?) However, when the package arrived, I took everything out, read all the directions first, and within 2 minutes after that (that is not an exaggeration), I had the turntable set-up accomplished. It couldn't have been easier!

Initially, I hooked the turntable up to a pair of miniature speakers I bought for my iPod. I just wanted to make sure the records would play. I put the first album on the turntable, cleaned it with Discwasher cleaning kit, and pushed the Start button. I actually got tears in my eyes when I heard the LP play. Even with the miniature speakers, the music sounded pretty darn good. However, the miniature speakers do not have sound control, so I attached a pair of computer speakers (Altec). The music sounded even better. Today, I believe I'm going to bite the bullet and hook the turntable up to the stereo component (I still have one that has Phono input). I'm anxious to see what the music sounds like coming through a Bose speaker system.

Some reviewers commented on the short phono plugs that are permanently attached to the turntable. They are short, but 2 different types of extensions are shipped with the turntable, so I had no problem attaching my speakers, and I don't believe I'll have trouble when I attach the turntable to the stereo system.

I've only used this turntable one day (but I played albums for 4 hours last night!), so I can't comment on its longevity. However, based on what I experienced last night, I believe this turntable, especially for the price, is great. An FYI: This is the first review I've ever written for a product, so that says something about how I feel about this turntable.
55 comments| 387 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2011
I was looking for something to play some special edition 10-inch records I have, as well as some older LP's from the 60's and 70's. The AT-LP60 worked right out of the box with my PC setup, as I don't have a stereo system. With the included adapters I can either plug the turntable right to my powered computer speakers, or if I ever want to rip a vinyl album to an audio file I can plug it directly in to my PC through the audio input jack. A receiver is NOT necessary for this turntable if you're using it with powered speakers or a PC, as it has an internal preamp. After unpacking, setup took about 10 minutes and is extremely easy. Before long I was playing 12-inch and 10-inch albums. As the description states, operation is fully automatic with the front buttons (play/stop), but you also have the option of playing it manually. I had to do this with my 10-inches, as there is not automatic preset for this size.

As far as sound quality, I am hardly an audiophile but to my ears it sounds incredible. Vinyl to me has always sounded "warmer" and seems to have more depth than audio CDs or mp3s. The AT-LP60 sounds amazing with a worn original Abbey Road pressing as well as a brand new Radiohead LP straight out of the packaging. The unit looks great and has a good feel to it. Obviously, for $75, it doesn't feel as "solid" as a more expensive player, but the price, overall sound quality, and ease of operation make it a definite good buy.
review image review image
on November 18, 2014
Let me start by saying I'm not a person that writes Amazon reviews. But, in an effort to help folks avoid the same mistake I made, here we go:

I'm not an avid vinyl connoisseur, by any means. I'm a regular guy who likes $1 records I find in garage sales and I very occasionally pop for a new re-release of a favorite album here on Amazon. I really needed a new record player and I did a little research and bought this one. Let me cut to the chase and tell you this: Here I am less than 6 months layer and I just bought ANOTHER player because this one was so frustrating.

To keep things short, my major problem was the lack of 'tracking weight' adjustment (how hard the needle pushes down on your records when it plays). There's really no needle adjustment at all.

Before you think "so what", let me clarify: If you ONLY play brand new records, it's not a big deal. They'll play fine. But put on a less than perfect record (which I have plenty of) and it WILL skip. Not because there's a big scratch anywhere...but because older records that aren't mint condition will cause this player's needle to jump. Since the tracking weight isn't adjustable there's nothing you can do besides put a penny on the needle arm to increase the weight (which ruins your records even more).

The fact that the tracking weight is too light and not adjustable makes this player worthless if you play a wide condition of records. Don't do it, no matter how tempting it looks unless you play ONLY brand new records all the time.

After learning alot in those 6 months, I took the advice of going to a local record shop that sells old/vintage turntables that have been refurbished (so you know they're in good shape). I only spent $50 more than I spent on this player and the difference is night and day. The vintage player is FAR higher quality than this adn only cost me maybe $50 more. Do that instead, don't make the same mistake I made by buying this.

Hopefully this will send someone in the right direction and save them the money I wasted. Good luck!
on January 17, 2011
This is what it is, a decent turntable at a great price. I bought it for more than the seventy clams it's currently going for, and don't regret it. I should note that I am only playing new vinyl, stuff I picked up since my last birthday. Some of this needed cleaning out the box to remove static/pops. Point being new doesn't equal clean. After cleaning LPs sounds play clean with a low noise floor. The built in preamp does the trick for being able to hook up headphones or self powered speakers out of the box. I have a set of M-Audio AV40s and they hooked right up to the turntable via included cables. You could get some cheaper computer/desk speakers and be ready to play for about a hundred bucks. Not bad.

This table also can be upgraded. LP gear has a kit that'll allow you to upgrade the needle and the belt for a good price. You can keep the ones that come with it for later use. That same place also has some higher end options for needles if you have money to burn. There are some upgrade options on this site too, just search around upgrades are out there.

The automatic play feature is nice, set a record on and hit button and you're off. If you need to manually control things it'll do that to. Hit the furthest right button and the arm moves up, hit the start to get things moving, put the arm where you want it, and at last press the furthest right button again to put the arm down (and commence play).

In finishing up this review: you get a brand new upgradable table for under $100, that's unheard of.

P.S. Do not forget, you'll wanna get some cleaning solution (on amazon or search around) so that your new (or old) vinyl will be sounding right.

EDIT 2/4/2011:

I've upgraded mine with the LP Gear upgrade kit. This means a new belt and a (supposedly) better stylus. The belt was obviously better quality, it was much more rugged than the rubberband that came with the table. The stylus was tougher to tell, it looked more or less exactly the same as the stock one. Overall everything sounds good, though of course many would argue you can't get good sound out of such a *cheap* table.

EDIT 5/17/2011

I'm still using this despite having a much *better* table that sports a Shure mx97e cartridge. It's really easy to use, so sometimes I just dig the fact I can hit the start button and go. And the sound, it's not bad at all. I mean the more expensive table setup does sound better, but it's in the nuances. For the most part this table just hits a sweet spot. I'm serious about music, but I'm not crazy enough to delude myself that this table isn't producing great sound; it does so at a rock bottom price! I do wonder how long this thing can keep things up; while build quality isn't crap, it is nothing close to the more expensive table I own. I mean the tone arm, if you can call it that, is like a drinking straw.
3333 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2010
I needed to replace my year-old Sony so I was pretty discouraged when I started my search. I was pretty much settled on the Pioneer and was researching reviews on the net when I stumbled on the Audio Technica AT-PL60 reviews that were so positive. So I switched and researched the PL-60 and decided to buy. Don't let the low price scare you off! It Sounds way better than my Sony which cost three times as much. It took two minutes to set up to my system and my vinyl came to life again! Family, Love and the Electric Prunes never sounded so good! I would Highly agree with the other reviewers that this is the best turntable under $300!
11 comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
I had forgotten how good records sound. Before cd's came along, they were brought up to very high standards. With this t'table the sound comes across with good detail and range.

What else I like:

1. It sets up in a few minutes
2. It automatically lifts arm, places it on record, and put arm back on the arm rest when record is finished
3. It is simple and attractive. Understated class. Seems well built.
4. It has a dandy little dust cover
5. It comes with adapters, either male or female, for speakers or other inputs. I use computer speakers directly and sound was excellent.
6. It has both line out and phono out. I use line out for my speakers.
7. It has switches for 7 inch or lp sized records, and a speed for 45's, with adapter.
8. It was under 80 bucks, with Prime. Why pay 400?
9. Amazon shipped it in 3 days.

What I don't like: hmmmmm.....give me a minute.
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2010
I bought this when the stylus on my old Soundesign turntable and saw that for $20 more than buying a new stylus, I could upgrade to a better record player. The player itself has 2 settings for autostart" 7" and 12" which covers most of my records. Unfortunately, there is no 10 setting. There are also only 2 speeds: 33.3 and 45 RPM. No 78 RPM setting, so older records will not play on this turntable. Sound-wise, this record player is a big improvement over the player I was using before. Unless a record is very scratched up, you will not hear crackling when using this turntable. Overall, if you want an inexpensive turntable you can't go wrong here. This is definitely the best turntable in its price range.
3535 comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse