Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 3,490 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,795 reviews
on December 26, 2015
The only thing that could be better is a vintage one in good shape. The problem with vintage is that how does one *really* know it is in good shape without taking it home? The best you can hope for is to discern that it actually works. If you don't have the time or money to gamble on vintage gear, go for this one.

I have 3 other turntables, against which to compare it:

1) Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB. (from here on, I will refer to this as the '120' and the AT-LP60 as the '60) This is a great turntable. It looks better, feels better, but I can't say that I can tell the difference in sound it produces. Some of the things we pay extra for on that model are:

a) Quartz timing control. This is something of value.
b) 78 RPM speed, if you want the option of being able to play back the pre-1950 records. This is something of value.
c) Manual pitch adjustment. I'm told some bad recordings had the speed off, so this is a way to manually correct it. I've got a couple hundred records, and have not yet found one that had the speed obviously off, so I can't see any value in this.
d) Reverse direction. I can't see any value in this either. Some records have hidden messages if you play them backwards. Seems like something that might give a little thrill to hear it once or twice, but to pay extra for this ability? Nah, just go listen to those albums on YouTube to get your thrill.
e) Electronic controls. These will probably hold up better many years down the road than the mechanical controls of the 60. No moving parts = fewer failure points.
f) Counterbalanced tonearm. In theory, this is better, as we can adjust the stylus to ride heavily enough in the grooves to provide good sound, but not so heavy as to cause undue wear to the records. I've read elsewhere where someone measured the weight at the stylus and found this one to be 3 g. When I got the weight adjusted properly on my 120, it was 2.5 g. Not a notable difference, in the end.
g) S-shaped tonearm. They say this is better, but I'll be darned if I can hear the difference.
h) Interchangeable headshell and cartridge. They say a change of cartridge makes a big difference in sound. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars on high-end cartridges to tailor the sound just to their liking. That seems silly to me. Why not just adjust the tone controls on one's amplifier? Or get a proper EQ component. Anyway, I can admit there could be some value in this.
i) USB out option. The 60 is available with this too, for an extra $20. It works great with the free Audacity software. I've ripped several LPs to .wav and .mp3. It's worth paying extra for this feature, if only to make the records portable. But you don't need to upgrade to the 120 to get it.
j) Much heavier. The 120 has a big steel plate inside. I'm not sure what is up with this obsession for vibration dampening. There's no discernable difference in sound as a result of all this damping. Any difference heard would be mostly down to the cartridge.
k) LED strobe, to confirm at a glance that the RPM is correct.

More comparison between the 60 and 120 later.

2) Ion Vinyl Transport turntable. This uses the same mechanism as the ever-popular Crosley Cruiser, but adds battery operation, which I love. With the battery operation option, it is totally portable, not just portable in theory. I bring this to me to the Goodwill and other places for listening to used records. Gotta find out if those scratches are "skippers" before paying the full $1 and taking up room in my apartment for more junk. I bought this for sixty bucks at a local Half Price Books store, which also sells records. I just love this turntable, but it is not at all in the same league as this AT-LP60. It has a ceramic cartridge instead of magnetic. Sound quality is pretty terrible in this class of turntable. If you're listening to a Crosley with this mechanism, you're really missing out on how good vinyl can actually sound.

3) Fisher-Price from 1978. I just gave this to my daughter for Christmas. Check feeBay, you'll see the one. Believe it or not, this has a much better speaker than the Crosley/Ion/Jenson ones, and hence, better sound quality. But of course not comparable to this one, since it still has a ceramic cartridge. For techno-geeks, it has a really interesting drive mechanism though! (check YouTube for 'how to repair a fisher-price turntable)

Now if you're looking at this turntable and you're on a budget, you're likely also looking at the 120 model, for over double the price. Having both of them now, I think this 60 is a much value. For the money, it gives just what one is after:

1) Affordable
2) HiFi-grade sound
3) Not too big or heavy
4) Semi-automatic operation. This is the key difference. It makes it very nearly as convenient to play a record as a CD, yet we still have the option to do it manually.

The 60is about 40% smaller and 70% lighter than the 120, yet it functions just as well. It doesn't take up as much room, and it isn't a back-breaker to occasionally move around.

The one con I've found so far about this turntable is that it comes with a felt slip mat. (same as on the 120) These are a disaster when it comes to static. I opened my 60 yesterday for Christmas, then re-packed it to bring home. I wasn't careful enough in repacking, and I crunched up the edge of the slip mat, so now the records don't spin flat. I pressed it underneath something heavy and flat last night, but it is still jacked up. I've got a couple cork ones inbound to replace these. That will address the static problem, as well as the crunched up problem.

In short, the 120 is probably a much heavier-duty turntable. It will run hour after hour, year after year and keep going. No belts to break, no mechanics to break, nothing to really go wrong, except maybe electronic. But considering it is basically a copy of the famous DJ-favored Technics 1200, which was a mature design to begin with, that's probably not even a concern.

The 60 is a lighter-duty unit. It MIGHT wear out after 10 years of constant, heavy use. But its a lot more affordable, a lot more convenient, and a lot lighter and smaller. (though it can still operate fully with the dust cover down)
537 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on April 14, 2017
I have owned 5 different record players including a vintage turntable. There are many things I love about this player. I like that it has a dust cover that you can close while a record is spinning on it. It comes with a slip mat for under the vinyl. I like that it has an automatic arm that will play and return itself for you. I was nervous about having an arm that lowers itself onto the vinyl mechanically, I was scared it would eventually break and scratch up my vinyls. It has not done this and it has proven me wrong. It works so well and fluid.
There is a button to manually lower the arm at any point in the record, which is helpful for when you have something other than a 12" or a 7".
I have owned some lower end record players and I would recommend this over a Crosley any day. I've never owned one of those suitcase models, but I have used them, and don't even think about getting one of those. You will be so much happier with this turntable. The sound quality is great, and the Bluetooth was not a feature I was thinking I would use, but I was proven wrong again. The Bluetooth connects seamlessly with my soundbar that I use for my television. The sound quality is beautiful. I like the sound of vinyl and it really compliments the records even using a soundbar. If you are back and forth between models and can't decide, choose this one. I was you, couldn't decide and deterred by questionable reviews. Get this turntable, you won't be sorry.
Thanks for a great product audio technica!
178 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 10, 2017
I'm just a beginner to the vinyl scene, but I think this thing is awesome. The only downside to it is that if you have people walking around the room while the record is playing it might skip and jump a bit, especially if they are heavy footed (or small children being crazy). The record player itself meets or exceeds all of my expectations. I was really worried I'd have to figure out how to manually place the needle on the record, and I feared I'd ruin it, but the automatic start feature eliminates those fears. This thing is really slick. It seems like perfect entry level record player.

For those wondering what you'll need to get this setup, here's the other items I chose to purchase:

Speakers:
Micca MB42 Bookshelf Speakers With 4-Inch Carbon Fiber Woofer and Silk Dome Tweeter (Black, Pair)

Speaker wire:
AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet

Mini-Amplifier:
Seeduck Lepy lp 2020a Class-D Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply Lepy Amplifier LP2020A

I'm putting this all here because I had to spend some time researching all of this, hopefully it helps someone figure out what they need, or if you don't feel like picking out your own stuff I can tell you that these items will be sufficient to get yourself up and running.

The picture should explain it pretty well, but in case you need some more help here's how it goes:
You've got the Audio Technica AT-LP60 (the item I'm reviewing). That has a cord that comes out of the back of it. It also comes two adapter cords. One of the adapters creates a female 3.5mm connection at the end of it. The other adapter creates a male 3.5mm connection at the end of it. I used that second adapter and plugged it into the back of the Lepy mini amplifier. Then I took my speaker wire and cut two pieces about 3.5 feet long. You have to separate the ends of the speaker wire at both ends and use a wire stripper to strip away about a half inch of the clear casing. One part of the speaker wire casing has a black line running through it and the other is just clear. The side with the black line is what you plug into the black terminal on the back of the mini amplifier, the clear goes into the red terminal. On the other end of the wire the black line side goes into the black knob of the speaker, clear goes into the red knob. On the Micca Speakers I'm using you have to unscrew both the knobs most of the way and a little hole is revealed in there, thread the stripped part of the wire into this hole and then screw the knobs back in place. I know this is probably really simple stuff to most people, but this was the first time I ever set anything up like this so I figure somebody might appreciate the extra explanation.

Here's what the setup looks like all put together:
review image
58 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
2,054 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on February 7, 2018
I have had two units so far - my original and its replacement. I have had this experience with both of them.

First, about me: I'm not an audiophile, but only because I don't have the money to be. That being said, I will still tinker endlessly to squeeze the best possible sound out of my equipment. I take exceptionally good records and will only accept records from Amazon that are in near-perfect condition. I'm running this record player through a Sony 7.1 channel receiver which I'm very happy with. It's a digital receiver so the built in pre-amp on the turntable was essential.

The build is cheap plastic. It's not a concern to me. My concern is the sound, not the look. Still, this turntable is small and takes up very little space. It's not ugly. It's not awesome. It's just, well, serviceable. The lack of a latch to keep the arm in place is a major minus, especially for a klutz like me. I have bumped it off it's resting spot a fewer times. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's something that I really wish that this player had.

Out of the box, I was pretty meh on the sound quality. It wasn't what I was looking for. After some adjustments on my receiver, this thing came to life. I was really, really pleased with the quality of its sound. Again, I'm not an audiophile but I have a musically trained ear and I heard things in the music that I never heard before. It was wonderful. So, this thing can sound great or mediocre. It just depends on your ear, your setup, and what you think sounds good.

Once the stylus was properly broken in, the sound quality got a noticeable bump. It was about that time that it went south. At random points in the album, the speed would drop and then pick back up, changing the pitch. I tried cleaning everything properly and there was no change. Now, it's fully possible that you may not notice it. It depends on how you listen to the record. To me, it kills the experience. I'm not willing to tolerate it. I can handle the small, subtle variations that all turntables have, but when the pitch noticeably changes, that's unacceptably to me. In terms of fixing it, I can fix too slow. I can fix too fast. I cannot fix inconsistent.

I live by the rule that once is an isolated incident, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend. I've had two. I am sending my second back and have ordered number 3. I will adjust this review based on that experience. If it's the same, I'm switching to another brand.

EDIT: I'm keeping the original text because it may yet be relevant. Just a little while ago I decided to do some "tinkering". I got an app on my phone that measures RPM. Sure enough, there were major speed variations. Then I noticed something curious - as it spun, the speed increased and decreased at the same spot. That told me that the platter was not level. I went and got my level and confirmed my hypothesis. I got some index cards and stuck them under the side that was low. The closer I got to perfectly level, the more consistent my speed. Before leveling the unit I had a 2-3% variation in speed. That's unacceptable. Now I have a <1% variation in speed. That's normal. Further, I have had no major RPM dips. It runs fast - 33.7-33.9 RPM, but it's consistent. Like I said earlier, I can fix slow.
17 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2017
Right out of the box the wrapper reads: "This unit is designed to be used with a line voltage of 115 VAC". That's great IF your line voltage is actually 115 VAC. Unfortunately, line voltages vary from district to district all across the country and this turntable played records way too fast. I measured the speed with a free iphone app (RPM) and it was measuring 43.68 RPM. There were no instructions in the booklet to adjust the speed and I was getting ready to return the unit. After Googling the problem, I found you can adjust the speed by locating 2 holes under the unit marked: 33 and 45. You need to poke through the rubber covering the screw and turn it counter clockwise to slow it down. After several small adjustments, it now sounds just fine. I didn't mess with the 45 adjustments. For all that is holy, why is there not a more convenient way to do this adjustment? And why isn't this important detail mentioned product description or instruction booklet?
21 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2017
Imagine my surprise when I asked my daughter what she wanted for her 13th birthday and she said "A record player like the one at Sam's Club". So it was off to Sam's I went but when I saw the player she was referring to I immediately knew that it was junk. Determined to not have her 1st experience with vinyl a crappy one, I came home and started searching for a good entry level record player. I knew Audio Technica was the brand I wanted but I didn't want to spend hundreds on a player like mine so that helped narrow down my search quite a bit. Enter the AT-LP60!

This little player sounds amazing! I paired it with a cheap set of Insignia 2.1 speakers I bought for $29 at Best Buy and everyone at her party was blown away by the sound quality. The LP60 plays old vinyl and the new thicker vinyl with ease and set up was stupid simple! If you are in the market for a record player to introduce yourself to the world of vinyl, I can't recommend this model enough!

As always shipping was fast and free and the player arrived exactly as described! BTW - My daughter LOVES it!
review imagereview image
14 people found this helpful
on July 7, 2017
I can hardly begin to express how disappointed I was in this product and in the customer service I received from Audio Technica. I purchased this turntable with the intention of getting back into vinyl, and, at $96, it seemed like a low-risk investment. For that price, I wasn't expecting to get a lifetime of use out of it. But I WAS expecting it to work for more than 15 months. Instead, just three months out of warranty, the turntable died. And since I play records just a couple of times a month, it wasn't exactly from overuse.

After trying ever troubleshooting tip I could find, I contacted Audio Technica to see what they could do. They offered to fix it, if I simply sent it to them. Of course, there's nothing simple about the process of sending a turntable to their corporate center in Ohio. I looked at their return/repair instructions, and the cost to send the package to them and have it sent back is about $60. They'll give you an estimate on the repair, but if you opt not to fix it, they charge you $30. God knows what it would cost if they actually did the repair.

In short, the process of fixing the turntable would quickly exceed the cost of purchasing it (inclusive of shipping), so I'll be buying a new one -- and NOT from Audio Technica. They have a slick website and declare that they stand behind their products, but that's hard to believe, judging by my experience.
12 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2015
for the price and has a preamp in it, you can not get a better turntable...i have albums and 45's in boxes and i took a chance on this because of the price and reviews...I cannot be happier.. 3 easy steps to putting it together and then hooked it to my stereo and i was in business..listening to records with their snap crackle pop again brought me back to my youth.. totally automatic, push a button the arm automatically raises and comes down at the beginning, record over, arm raises goes back..flip the switch for 45's same thing.. the best is there is a button to raise the arm and then you can postion the needle over the track you want to hear and hit the button and it comes down slowly and then plays..no more dropping the needle down manually and damaging it or the record..with the preamp in it, if it's not loud enough, flip the switch in the back and the preamp comes on and makes it louder, also means you can hook speakers to it direct if you don't have a stereo..Also can hook it to your computer..can't beat it for the price..
review image
26 people found this helpful
on April 7, 2017
1. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED/WAREHOUSE 2. Best value on affordable turntable on Amazon.

I went through 3 different refurb/warehouse deals turntables and they were all awful. First I tried the USB version, but what was shipped did not have a USB connection. The other two were stripped of parts. After this mess, I went ahead and bought a brand new one. I'm glad I did! Before trying out the Audio Technica turntables, I tried the cheaper options on Amazon (the suitcase looking turntables, etc..). They sounded TERRIBLE. The sound was distorted, the platters were warped. They looked cool but sounded/functioned terribly. When I finally got this one (a new one, not refurb), I was BLOWN away by how fantastic it sounded. I'm hearing sounds and nuances on my favorite all time records that I missed on Spotify/Apple Music. So glad vinyl hasn't gone away. Someday I'll get a direct drive turntable but for now, this works fantastic and at a great price. Thank you Audio Technica for not sacrificing sound quality. It's too easy to do with turntables and you didn't let us down.
4 people found this helpful