Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Color: Silver|Style Name: Turntable + USB|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,913 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,261 reviews
on June 11, 2014
This really is a nice table. I have listened to dozens of records on it since I bought it. However, there are two things you NEED to be aware of.

1) The RCA plugs (red and white audio cables) that come out of the turn able are attached. There aren't ports on the turn table, so you have to use the wires that are there already. Those wires are incredibly short. Like short short. Like MAYBE 3 feet short. So, if your turn table isn't setup to be next to/on top of your receiver, it isn't going to reach. You can go out and buy an adapter so you can add another set of RCA cables to lengthen the reach, but you'll need to have the extra cables and the adapter. They're not expensive or anything, but it is (I think) very poor design to need to do that.

2) In my experience, the "stop" button regularly stops working. I contacted customer service (and Audio Technica customer service is AWESOME by the way) and was giving the directions on how to fix it. The issue is: When you push any of the buttons, it essentially pushes a rod that pushes a lever, that actually inputs the command. The problem is, the "rod" is the width of dental floss and gets easily pushed off of the lever. To fix this, you have to unhook the player, flip it over, take the bottom off and realign the rods. It's easy to do, but having to pull the thing apart each time you want all of the buttons to work is pretty obnoxious.

I'll see if I can upload the photo tutorial "how to" that the customer service sent me so that everyone can have the directions to solve the problem.

It plays nicely, and sounds good, and is a good price - but those two annoyances really get in the way for me. If not for those two things (or even just if not for the buttons getting disconnected) I'd call it 5 stars.
review image review image review image
2020 comments| 734 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
5150+ comments| 1,809 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2015
The only thing that could be better is a vintage one in good shape. The problem with vintage is that how does one *really* know it is in good shape without taking it home? The best you can hope for is to discern that it actually works. If you don't have the time or money to gamble on vintage gear, go for this one.

I have 3 other turntables, against which to compare it:

1) Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB. (from here on, I will refer to this as the '120' and the AT-LP60 as the '60) This is a great turntable. It looks better, feels better, but I can't say that I can tell the difference in sound it produces. Some of the things we pay extra for on that model are:

a) Quartz timing control. This is something of value.
b) 78 RPM speed, if you want the option of being able to play back the pre-1950 records. This is something of value.
c) Manual pitch adjustment. I'm told some bad recordings had the speed off, so this is a way to manually correct it. I've got a couple hundred records, and have not yet found one that had the speed obviously off, so I can't see any value in this.
d) Reverse direction. I can't see any value in this either. Some records have hidden messages if you play them backwards. Seems like something that might give a little thrill to hear it once or twice, but to pay extra for this ability? Nah, just go listen to those albums on YouTube to get your thrill.
e) Electronic controls. These will probably hold up better many years down the road than the mechanical controls of the 60. No moving parts = fewer failure points.
f) Counterbalanced tonearm. In theory, this is better, as we can adjust the stylus to ride heavily enough in the grooves to provide good sound, but not so heavy as to cause undue wear to the records. I've read elsewhere where someone measured the weight at the stylus and found this one to be 3 g. When I got the weight adjusted properly on my 120, it was 2.5 g. Not a notable difference, in the end.
g) S-shaped tonearm. They say this is better, but I'll be darned if I can hear the difference.
h) Interchangeable headshell and cartridge. They say a change of cartridge makes a big difference in sound. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars on high-end cartridges to tailor the sound just to their liking. That seems silly to me. Why not just adjust the tone controls on one's amplifier? Or get a proper EQ component. Anyway, I can admit there could be some value in this.
i) USB out option. The 60 is available with this too, for an extra $20. It works great with the free Audacity software. I've ripped several LPs to .wav and .mp3. It's worth paying extra for this feature, if only to make the records portable. But you don't need to upgrade to the 120 to get it.
j) Much heavier. The 120 has a big steel plate inside. I'm not sure what is up with this obsession for vibration dampening. There's no discernable difference in sound as a result of all this damping. Any difference heard would be mostly down to the cartridge.
k) LED strobe, to confirm at a glance that the RPM is correct.

More comparison between the 60 and 120 later.

2) Ion Vinyl Transport turntable. This uses the same mechanism as the ever-popular Crosley Cruiser, but adds battery operation, which I love. With the battery operation option, it is totally portable, not just portable in theory. I bring this to me to the Goodwill and other places for listening to used records. Gotta find out if those scratches are "skippers" before paying the full $1 and taking up room in my apartment for more junk. I bought this for sixty bucks at a local Half Price Books store, which also sells records. I just love this turntable, but it is not at all in the same league as this AT-LP60. It has a ceramic cartridge instead of magnetic. Sound quality is pretty terrible in this class of turntable. If you're listening to a Crosley with this mechanism, you're really missing out on how good vinyl can actually sound.

3) Fisher-Price from 1978. I just gave this to my daughter for Christmas. Check feeBay, you'll see the one. Believe it or not, this has a much better speaker than the Crosley/Ion/Jenson ones, and hence, better sound quality. But of course not comparable to this one, since it still has a ceramic cartridge. For techno-geeks, it has a really interesting drive mechanism though! (check YouTube for 'how to repair a fisher-price turntable)

Now if you're looking at this turntable and you're on a budget, you're likely also looking at the 120 model, for over double the price. Having both of them now, I think this 60 is a much value. For the money, it gives just what one is after:

1) Affordable
2) HiFi-grade sound
3) Not too big or heavy
4) Semi-automatic operation. This is the key difference. It makes it very nearly as convenient to play a record as a CD, yet we still have the option to do it manually.

The 60is about 40% smaller and 70% lighter than the 120, yet it functions just as well. It doesn't take up as much room, and it isn't a back-breaker to occasionally move around.

The one con I've found so far about this turntable is that it comes with a felt slip mat. (same as on the 120) These are a disaster when it comes to static. I opened my 60 yesterday for Christmas, then re-packed it to bring home. I wasn't careful enough in repacking, and I crunched up the edge of the slip mat, so now the records don't spin flat. I pressed it underneath something heavy and flat last night, but it is still jacked up. I've got a couple cork ones inbound to replace these. That will address the static problem, as well as the crunched up problem.

In short, the 120 is probably a much heavier-duty turntable. It will run hour after hour, year after year and keep going. No belts to break, no mechanics to break, nothing to really go wrong, except maybe electronic. But considering it is basically a copy of the famous DJ-favored Technics 1200, which was a mature design to begin with, that's probably not even a concern.

The 60 is a lighter-duty unit. It MIGHT wear out after 10 years of constant, heavy use. But its a lot more affordable, a lot more convenient, and a lot lighter and smaller. (though it can still operate fully with the dust cover down)
33 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2016
I finally bought this turntable after I received the 180-gram (brand new) version of "The Bends" by Radiohead and placed it on my Crosley turntable. skip-skip-skip-skip... I was so upset. I looked into a new turntable and found this amazing one for only $99. I was still nervous that this great record would skip on this turntable. As soon as it arrived, I placed the record onto it and it played BEAUTIFULLY. It blows the horrible Crosley out of the water. It sounds infinitely better, plays infinitely better, and it looks infinitely better, too. Don't EVER buy a Crosley. Spend the extra few bucks and get this amazing turntable instead, you'll be blown away.
review image review image review image
on January 12, 2017
Edit 1/12/17:Changed review a bit

So I recently looked for a new turntable. My last one was discontinued and the needle (couldn't find a new one) was worn causing it to skip around on a new vinyl I got (more on that later) . I looked around and saw this one was on a bunch of lists for top turntables. I eventually got this record player a few days after I ordered and I'm going to break down the review into a few sections so bear with me (I'm also probably going to be the most detailed review here but who knows)

Box opening:
I got the box and opened it. There was a lot of brown paper keeping the player from being damaged. It came in a box the width of my bed! All for a small box!! The packaging from the Amazon facility was perfect!

Unboxing:
Now unboxing this player is like playing the Atari game breakout. You have to open the plastic wrap, open the box, take the styrofoam off both ends of the player, etc. Also unboxing the platter, dust cover and the felt mat was a step to do also.

Setup:
So...this step was kinda weird. The player requires you to put the platter on and set up the belt. Not a big deal. I thought it was fun! Like playing with Legos like a kid (if only there was a lego record player lol) I also hooked up a speaker and turned on the pre amp from the line switch

Operation:
So remember I said I had a new vinyl that skipped on my old player? No problem here! I immediately placed my copy of Metallica's Hardwired (by the way, standard and deluxe versions are both 180g vinyl and they are heavy!) and let the record player automatically queue the first song. I was scared that I damaged the vinyl from trying to get it playing on my old player. When the needle went in the first groove, I was nervous. But everything was fine after the song played. And the pre amp blew my mind!! Hardwired sounded awesome! I eventually played some older vinyls of my collection including Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction. The opening riff of Sweet Child O' Mine sounded great!

Opinion:
For $130, this was amazingly good! It played all my vinyl with no problems. Everything is perfect with the player and I hope it continues to stay that way. My old player was good but eventually started to die down. And the player before my last one....let's not mention their name *Ahem Crosley* But Audio Technica has won me over with their AT-LP60!

Notes:
Now some reviews here were 3 start or lower. People have their opinions and sometimes a unit can be defective. But this player was great and I did lots of research on it before ordering. If you want a record player and do not have money for the better high end ones, get this player. It is a great player with good sound whether you listen to rock or metal bands like Metallica and GN'R (that pairing didn't go so well back in 1992 lol) maybe you listen to artists from now, or that crate of vinyls in your parents or grandparents basements. This player was worth the money, and I hope you think the same.
review image
This has recently gone up in price, even apart from the Gold Box Special that greeted me. In a way, I wish I'd seen the higher price, which would have discouraged me from ordering so quickly. I remember when, in the '70s, it cost more to replace a Shure V-15 Type II cartridge than to purchase this turntable, which comes complete with cartridge, stylus, and 4 different connecting cables to cover just about all situations, even those for customers without a receiver/amplifier. It wasn't long before, in the '80s, the elliptical stylus itself went for over a hundred, eventually taken off the market by Shure due to the scarcity of its rare and costly constituent.

The point: for 60 to 90 bucks, you should not expect anything close to a genuine audiophile turntable--even though the machine includes auto tone arm lift, two instruction manuals, four well-made cables, cartridge and stylus. But the feature missing with this turntable, the one reason I wish I hadn't ordered it and had waited to purchase the next model up, is a counterweight for achieving precise tone arm balance as well as an anti-skating control for reducing pressure (and distortion) on the inside grooves of the vinyl LP, especially the tracks closest to the middle hole.

Nevertheless, given the absence of a counter-weighted tone arm and anti-skating control, this turntable does a highly competent job of tracking most recordings. In fact, it performs better than both of the ailing industry-standard, professional Stanton turntables that were proving increasingly problematic at the station. Also, the tracking pressure that I measured is less than 2 and a half grams, light enough to prevent the stylus from eating up your vinyl (at least not until after 2-3 playings).

The unit comes with built-in preamp, so not only does it not require an amp with a phono jack, but it doesn't require any amp beyond the one in your computer if your primary consideration is converting vinyl to digital. A couple of things to be aware of: the lift on the tone arm is too small to be of use for manual placement. You'll need to be comfortable with the automatic lift mechanism or forget about picking up and dropping down the tone arm with any semblance of accuracy. Also, in back is an all-important lever that switches the unit from "phono" to "line" connection. If you're using the unit without an amp with phono jack (beginning in the '90s, cost-conscious manufacturers began leaving them off of receivers and amps, though with the comeback of vinyl we've seen the reappearance of phono jacks), be sure to set the switch to "line." The same holds true if your connection involves use of any of the optional cables and connectors that are included with the turntable.

The turntable tracks quite nicely from what I've seen, and is worth the low cost. Still, before investing in a USB unit--without or without phono connectors--you may simply wish to save up for the best "conventional" turntable along with an amplifier or receiver that has a phono jack. That way you'll have a better chance of scoring some of the audiophile niceties mentioned above, and connection to your computer will be no problem--whether you have an 1/8" familiar audio jack or an adapter that will transform RCA into USB cables.

The software included with the turntable is Audacity--a respected freeware program that's capable of doing an excellent job but is not known for being the most user-friendly program. Other possibilities are Cool Edit (for PC users); Spin Doctor or Sound Studio (Mac users). Once you've converted a couple of LPs, it's a piece of cake--except for the potential of allowing the process to consume all of your time and life. (Try to resist the temptation to make up your own CDs, complete with jewel cases, printed front and back covers and spines, disc centers, booklets, photos, inserts, etc. Another not inconsiderable expense--in time as well as money.)
1212 comments| 748 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2017
I have waited a year before I wrote this review. This is a good purchase but there are better turntables you can buy... they just cost a heck of a lot more. For me, the best things about this unit are the lower price point, the automatic functions, and the ability to plug it into my old stereo system. The downsides are cannot replace cartridge to upgrade sound and overall flimsy construction...everything is plastic except for the platter and tonearm.

Despite the lack of sturdy construction, the unit is durable as long as you don't abuse it, which means don't punch the plastic buttons for auto-play, auto-stop and raising/lowering the tonearm. A gentle touch is all that's needed. Replace the stylus every year or so and it keeps sounding pretty good. Invest in a decent pair of speakers and good amp and you'll enjoy what comes out.

I mostly play classic rock but sometimes I play classical or jazz and everything sounds fine. The bass is bass-y enough. It won't shake the walls but it does provide the necessary umph. I can play it at pretty high volume (when the wife isn't home) and it doesn't distort, which is key when Zep, Aerosmith, and Black Sabbath are on the platter. But even a Mahler symphony sounds pretty good at high volume.

It doesn't come with anti-skate or a counter-weight for the tonearm but everything is factory set and it works fine. I hate to mess with those things anyway so it's a plus for me that it doesn't have them as features.
on January 12, 2016
Comes with extra cords which turn the audio technica AV connectors to AUX from the turn table to your receiver and vice versa. Not the best record player but sure worth the price. The music comes out superb given a decent receiver and speakers which are not hard to come by. Either way the record player is built solid. Will update if any issues occur during my regular use.
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 2, 2015
(1) I love automatic tables (I've owned plenty)
(2) dual magnet phono cartridge
(3) replaceable diamond stylus
(4) heavy aluminum platter
(5) switchable phono pre amp
(6) DJ style slip mat ( you can use either side)
(7) removable dust cover
(8) rubber feet with traction... This is really the best for the money I've ever seen or heard! Don't buy the USB, like another buyer commented you don't need that extra junk, just plug the RCA cables (included) into your laptop an download the free Audacity software if you want to record.

1 more thing... This will not harm your records because it does not have a counter weight!! Just be sure to watch your needle if needed be replaced (their inexpensive too)... Those who pay $$$$ more power to ya but for a direct drive with a light so you can see the record spin, a reverse button, a pitch control, a S arm and a counter weight just want to justify .... Just push play an relax.... I've played my Near Mint 1968 Deviants Ptooff! promo album on it over an over....
review image
on May 27, 2016
I bought two of these the same day, one silver, one red. Both turntables turned too fast out of the box. You can easily adjust the speed of the turntable by accessing the speed control screws which are located on the underside of the turntable. There's one for 33 1/3, one for 45. Use a sewing-machine sized regular head screwdriver. The screws are recessed in a hole, so be patient and make sure your screwdriver has engaged the screwhead before proceeding. Turn left to slow down, right to speed up. You do not need to turn the screw much to make the adjustment. Use an LP for which you know the pitch (like maybe the first track is in F major) and have a keyboard handy. Play the note on the keyboard, then listen to the LP. If it needs to slow down, take the LP off the table, lift the table up from the front to access the adjustment hole and have at it. You may need to repeat this process a couple of times to hone in and really match the pitch closely.

Remember, turn left to slow down, right to speed up. Should take no more than 5 minutes. Good luck.

Now, about the sound reproduction you'll get from this turntable: this is basically a good entry-level device. The signal sounds pretty good playing through my son's system which is pretty basic. Pop music is OK. However, listening to classical LPs through my higher-end system, the shortcomings are quite audible. A lack of clarity and a rolled-off high end. Granted, I haven't really listened to LPS for decades. I've been listening to CDs, which sound superior in classical music - much more life-like. I can't really say whether it's my CD listening, the turntable or my expectations not being met, but I would say that this isn't the turntable you want if your system is worth over $2,000 - 4,000. You'll probably want to look at something a little more high-end.

On edit (6/22/16): I purchased a stylus update for this turntable through a company called LP Gear. Included for $40 is an elliptical stylus that perfectly fits the cartridge head (which cannot be changed) and a belt that is advertised as being of higher grade than that included from the factory. It took but a few minutes to switch both the belt and the stylus, and I must say that the change is quite noticeable and for the better. The turntable now sounds like a $150-200 turntable, rather than an entry-level machine. I can't speak to the performance of the belt as the factory belt was brand new. But, it was an easy swap, so I made it, saving the factory-included belt and stylus for the future. This is an inexpensive upgrade that I highly recommend.