Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Acoutsic Christmas Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 18, 2016
First I will say that this in no way reflects upon the exemplary service or low price of the provider of this book, Now that I have prefaced this review by stating that the company that provided me the book gave me 5 star service... the book itself is certainly not worth full price. My first impression of the book is that even among textbooks which are horribly overpriced this shines as an example of why some people who shouldn't be writing in the first place write textbooks regardless of their lack of talents. It hearkens to the old adage regarding those who can't do, teach. Apparently those who can neither do or teach write books about it. A perfect example is the chapter in which the exercises are to add words to "enhance coherence" in an already coherent sentence... or put another way to specify something that a normal person naturally infers from the provided sentences, additionally the author seems to muddle certain concepts related to issues such as clear and coherent. The word coherent includes clarity as a portion of its definition, in fact if a paragraph lacks clarity it is almost certain to lack coherence. I cannot help but believe there had to be a better book on the market that a teacher could use for this subject. Another point that I find lacking is that typically in English, a student is taught to use "economy of words", this text; however, seems to shun that advice and works under the premise that in technical writing you must expect every reader to be a dullard who is unable to connect two sentences into a common thread.

However, I will say that this book can cure insomnia, so it is not without some measure of worth if you have sleepless nights. Overall I would say that without appendices it should be a 400 page book or less, yet the writer used 600+ pages anyway.
on April 16, 2015
Terrible, terrible book. Boring. I've read similar books and they had a better view on how to write this information. I also hated the way it was set on my Kindle. I couldn't read anything because it was so small and I had to zoom in. then, when I tried to turn the page, it wouldn't let me because it was zoomed in. It constantly tried highlighting words when I was just trying to follow where I was reading. it was expensive too. i should've just bought the printed version. That's how bad this was.
on August 10, 2017
Granted I purchased this book for a class while in college, I still hold on to this book today. It shows written examples of technical letters, emails, and notices. I will hold close to this book all throughout my professional life as a reminder of what not to do and what to do!
on September 1, 2016
I rented this book for a class but I liked it enough to actually buy it in the end. This is a great reference for "generic" technical writing like example resumes, cover letters, memos etc. The writing is concise and they have great examples. It doesn't help that much with specific technical writing (ie writing a requirements document for new software) but there are other books for more specific technical writing needs.
on December 30, 2015
This is a good textbook for developing technical communication skills. I used it for an online course and it provided enough detail to easily understand everything without having an instructor give lectures on the material. Also, it is a great reference for how to format different types of documents.

If you are looking to improve your writing for any sort of professional documents (reports, presentations, résumés, business letters, etc.), then I recommend using this textbook.
on January 26, 2014
It discusses such things as etiquette, ethics, email, resume writting, etc. Two or three examples are given of a particular subject, and it is discussed in the text and in comment boxes. Wording is clear and precise, does not ramble (thank God!)
on May 12, 2017
Well written.
on August 4, 2014

on September 29, 2016
Book arrived within the time I initially requested. The book is good for those who would like to know how to improve the websites, grammar, what to do or include when writing important documentation in the workplace.
on July 7, 2015
This is a great book for anyone that would like to learn very useful life skills including how to write a cover letter, a resume, a proposal, and a recommendation report! Amazon also is quite efficient at getting you your books in time for your classes and the renting process is simple and inexpensive!