BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 28, 2012
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have a way of popping up every few years with fun new ideas while still maintaining their original charm of being four, fun loving teenagers which are quite proficient in the martial arts. I still remember first discovering the TMNT on the shelf of a toy story my grandmother always took me too and for some reason they captivated me. Maybe it was the numerous weapons they came with, the colorful packaging, or the weird variety of characters in that first wave of action figures? Whatever the case, I'm thrilled the TMNT are still around and making a huge comeback. With IDW publishing an excellent monthly comic and reprinting nice collected versions of the original black and white comics, a new cartoon from Nickelodeon premiering soon, and a movie on the horizon, this seems like the perfect time for Playmates to jump in and play off of the nostalgia of adult fans who first encountered the turtles as children. With the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection, Playmates has done much what Mattel has done with Masters of the Universe Classics, Bandai with the Thundercats vintage collection, and Hasbro with the Star Wars vintage collection, the G.I. Joe 25th anniversary line, and certain Transformers releases: Recreate beloved vintage action figures in a larger scale with modern articulation and detail. These turtles are recreations of the original action figures with a smattering of detail from the cartoon series. I think Playmates has been highly successful in their endeavor, but read on to learn more!

Positives:
* Michelangelo, like all his brethren, is just amazing to look at! The colors, texture, and size of the figure really cater to the fond memories of the original toys while offering something better than what we saw in the past. While Michelangelo has pupils (the original toys didn't- that came from the cartoon) the facial expression and head sculpt is a dead on recreation of the original figure.

*This guy is articulated! The package proclaims 34 points of articulation, and they're right. Think of any joints you'd find on any other hyperarticulated action figure (double knee and elbow joints and ab crunch) and add individually articulated fingers and toes. There's nothing this turtle can't do!

*Mikey comes with two nunchucks. They're both silver with orange wrappings and feature real metal chains. Very, very cool and when he's cracking jokes and not skulls, they easily fit into the loops on Mike's belt (which is brown, like the cartoon, and not black like the original toy).

*Each turtle comes with a display stand that looks like a manhole cover. It has the TMNT logo and Michelangelo's name on it. Stands are always a plus in my book!

Negatives:

*I kind of wish Mikey came with another accessory or two. The original figures came with all kinds of extras like throwing stars, fist daggers, other ninja weapons. An extra or two would be appreciated.

*This isn't a complaint, just a warning: It wasn't on Michelangelo, but one of my TMNT classics had some issues with his finger joints (it was Raphael). If your finger joints are stuck be very careful with them, as I could see them possibly being somewhat fragile.

Overall: Of all the many action figures I've purchased this year, these might be my favorites. They're extremely fun, a perfect blend of the vintage looks of the toys and cartoon, and look beautiful as a set. Just having them sitting on top of my entertainment stand almost brings a tear to my eye from time to time. Playmates did a brilliant job with these and I hope we see more characters down the line.
on July 14, 2012
I was so excited for these classic TMNT figures! And I must say that these figures are awesome! These guys are the definitive classics Ninja Turtles! And Mikey is my favorite character of the 4. They have so many great features to them:

Detail and Accuracy: The detail on these guys look so much like the 80s cartoon, it's just fun to look at them and remember my childhood and smile. Mikey has his "M" on his belt! They each have their signature weapons. Michelangelo specifically has his nunchucks, which he can store in his holder on his back. The nunchucks look great and come with chain links!

Articulation: These guys have a TON of articulation! With over 30 points of articulation, you can get them into some great poses. Some of the joints can be a little loose though but still hold position pretty well. Just having the individual finger and toe articulation is great! The finger articulation is tight also so it is no problem to hold their weapons firmly. And even though it is a lot of articulation, it does not make the figure look ugly or overly done in the joints. Sometimes some of the joints can pop loose too but they are easy to put back on since most joints are ball joints.

Overall, Mikey is a great fun figure! Get this guy for your turtle collection!!
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
Michelangelo is a sweet redesign based on his commercially explosive TV and toy debut, so it's a nice blast from the past. This figure has the best articulation and weapon quality of all the playmates license. Here are some ups and downs with the sculpt I bought.

Pros: + Michelangelo's nunchucks more realistic than ever, due to their real chain that connects them for more varying poses. There is an upside to having a the solid plastic ones for dynamic flailing sort of poses, but I still think this is a step up in quality that is best kept in later lines.

+ The articulation of this entire collection is the best so far, with the NECA comic turtles at a close second. The fixed action positions of the old figures are the biggest complaint from lifelong collectors, and the problem is totally eliminated by the enhanced limb, waist, double-jointed knees/elbows, and foot articulation.

Cons: - There is a wonky paint error on Mike's eyes but that's bound to happen once in every group, as it's a frequent complaint from buyers.
on December 13, 2012
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection Michelangelo

I ordered this item from Amazon on December 11, 2012 and received it via UPS today Thursday, December 13th. I love TMNT as a kid so I decided to start a collection of the new 2012 toys. I opened the UPS box and the toy had already been opened. The right side of the package looks like someone had taken a razor blade and tried to gently open it up. I am now considering myself a collector and to be an open box automatically degrades the toy. I am going to send it back tomorrow for refund and attempt to watch this item again on a day to day basis until it becomes available through Amazon again.

The toy looks amazing, but the fact that an Amazon employee packaged an item and shipped it out, knowing that it had already been opened, is not acceptable. Hopefully Amazon won't make the mistake twice.
The toy gets a 5/5
Amazon gets a 1/5
VINE VOICEon July 23, 2012
When I saw that Playmates was releasing 25th anniversary collector's edition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures and immediately went on a nostalgia trip. As a child of the 1980s, TMNT figures was the most important toy line of my youth. Some of my fondest memories as a kid are of playing with the zany TMNT characters.

Well, Playmates hit it out of the park with these figures. The articulation on these guys is amazing, with over 30 different joints, including fingers and toes! The fingers are particularly neat and hold the weapons very well. Even more important, the articulation is decently well hidden, although here I think Playmates could have tried a bit harder to hide the ball joints.

The paint job is generally good if simple. The turtles are painted to look like a mix between the original action figures and the cartoon. The turtles are each a different shade of green with vibrant color bandanas. However, the turtles DO have eye pupils, unlike the original figures.

Michelangelo is a fan favorite and this figure delivers. The nunchuck chains are real metal and you can actually have Mikey swing them around. He's got holders on his back so you can have Mikey hold one nunchuck in both hands and store another one in back. I would have preferred Mikey with a goofier expression on his face, but that's a small complaint. Overall, Mikey is ready to party.
on October 16, 2012
I ordered this Michelangelo action figure for my fiance to replace the one his mother broke in a drunken rage as a child. The detail is beautiful and he has 34 points of articulation and looks just like the original cartoons and not retarded like the new cartoons. However, when my fiance opened it the look of excitement was awesome until after he opened it he realized there were no nunchucks. It's not Michelangelo without nunchucks. I tried to contact Amazon to ask for a replacement and they hid behind their subsidiary company saying they couldn't replace it because their inventory is always changing.

So, now after having to wait 25 years for a replacement I will have to take it away from him again to send it back in for a full refund and then reorder it. Who knows how long that is going to take?

It really is the coolest toy ever so I will be replacing it once my refund comes in, but I'm really pissed at Amazon for their lack of quality control.

UPDATE: Amazon finally got their act together and shipped me another one with free 1 day shipping. The nunchucks are super nice quality with metal links. Love this toy. Highly recommend it.
review image
on August 28, 2012
The turtles are back and in a big way! Anyone growing up in the 80's and 90's will no doubt have a soft spot for these mean, green, fighting machines and Playmates toys is counting on that with the release of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Classics toyline. These awesome figures has as much articulation as they do nostalgia factor and are simply a blast to play with. They come in at 6 inches tall, have 34 points of articulation and each comes with their own personal weapons as well as slots to store them on their belts. If you have fond memories as a child fighting the forces of evil with these totally radical dudes while munching on some pizza or just love great action figures, I highly recommend picking them up. At the very least pick up your favorite turtle, though just be warned you might get addicted and end up buying the whole set.
on June 26, 2013
These classic toy remakes are so cool! Just the retro bubble packaging when you first open the box will make any TMNT fan reminisce about their childhood and Saturday morning, just "in the zone" glued to the TV watching their favorite crime fighting reptiles fight the evil villains who threat humanity on a daily basis! I highly recommend these collectible action figures to add to your TMNT collection, weather they stay in the box or out of it they look great and the articulation on them make for some really classic poses. Enjoy them like you did your original ones you played with back in the day. Cowabunga Dudes!
on February 15, 2013
Easily the best TMNT figure I have ever owned. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and had tons of ninja turtles and GI Joes, (all of which my sister accidentally threw away on her 16th birthday, january 16 1996. Not that Im bitter hehe) so I havent had many for years. I was just browsing online and saw how NICE these looked. Granted they take a month to arrive from France, and Mikeys eyes are staring straight up almost, but there are pretty much unlimited poses you can put em in, You can even make him stand on one leg kicking with the other in mid air. Just a great TMNT figure, it brought me back! Immediately ordered Donatello, see you in a month!
on October 10, 2013
It might be a factory error or a cheap knock off i got. The arms are stuck high and you can see the shoulder articulation was just molded and not an actual working articulation. The shoulders look different on my figure than the one on the pictures. I may have gotten a knock off figure.