|Print List Price:||$7.99|
Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi Book 1) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
This book was inspired by a short story in the Lover Beware anthology, but the story line is completely different. The characters are very real and the descriptions of the settings very good, very much needed in these alternate reality type books. I waited a long time for this book and was not disappointed. This is the start of a very good series and I can't wait for the next one.
Things I like about the Story
1. The main character is an Asian American female, detective on the San Diego Police Department. I'm Asian American, female, from San Diego with lots of friends on the police department. I found Lily easy to relate to.
2. We get a glimpse into some of the obstacles of being a female law enforcement officer, especially being petite and Asian.
3. The story makes me think about places where it is difficult to imagine. As the lupi are being revealed and equality is being debated, prejudice and discrimination rear its ugly head again. Could there be a time and place where we may be ready and willing to mandate registration and then forceably require "the other" (in this case to lupi) to take shots in order to prevent the Change, effectively preventing the lupi from being in their nature, who they really are? We are not that far from history when our government engaged in eugenics and had forced sterilization programs.
Things I like about the Storytelling Telling
1. I like how Eileen Wilks lays out Lily's thinking, how she connects the dots in a manner much like a detective would. I also like how she connects the analogy to gardening:
"Planning a bed was fun. Planting was satisfying, and watching the garden come to life filled her in a way nothing else did. But sometimes she just needed to dig and pull, dig and pull."
2. The first interaction between Lily and Rule is sassy. These two are unexpected. She lives a controlled, ordered life out of the spotlight. He is the gregarious "prince" of the Lupi. The are brought together as the Chosen, where their bodies are farther ahead than their actual relationship. They may sleep together, but it is undecided as to whether they like each other.
3. There are some pretty great lines including:
"You are as close to perfection as it's possible to get without boredom."
And my absolute favorite, in response to Rule's breath-taking, speedy driving:
"Lily cursed under her breath. He glanced at her, and pleasure fled. "I'll slow down. You're pale." "I turn Caucasian at ninety miles an hour and up. Pay no attention."
Why I like the Characters:
1. Ms. Wilks strikes the right note when playing off of Lily's Chinese heritage. Her characterization is not stereotypical, is not a caricature, and is not gimmicky. Lily's Chinese American background is relevant, but is not exploited. I don't often find authors who have the right balance; it is difficult to do. This one is much appreciated.
2. Grandmother is a Padres fan. If you grew up in San Diego, you understand the agony and ecstasy of being a loyal Padres fan. Enough said.
IN A NUTSHELL: I love this world and its characters. I cannot wait to read the next book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Suspense
- Books > Romance > Contemporary
- Books > Romance > Paranormal
- Books > Romance > Romantic Suspense
- Books > Romance > Werewolves & Shifters
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Romantic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal > Werewolves & Shifters
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban