Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 249 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 320 reviews
on November 22, 2014
Tempting the Best Man is full of tension! Which is exactly what I've come to expect from this author's romances, so I was definitely not disappointed. Madison's brother is getting married over the weekend and she is the maid of honor. Of course, the best man is his best friend, Chase, who she has been in love with for years. The two had one moment four years ago where they crossed the friendship line, but since then, things have been tense. They bicker like crazy, and I loved it! Upon arriving at the wedding venue, they're informed there was a mix up with the room reservations, so now Madison and Chase are stuck in a room together. More specifically, it's the tacky, old honeymoon cabin, which was only available because it was due for renovations. How will they ever survive?

Madison and Chase's chemistry was through the roof! From the moment they step into their shag rug covered cabin, things get hot. Madison wants him badly, but knows he doesn't see her that way. She's just Mitch's little sister and nothing more. She couldn't be more wrong though. Chase wants her too, but doesn't think he's good enough for her. He's afraid he's going to turn out like his philandering father, and break her heart, and ruin his friendship with her brother. But thanks to some prodding from friends and family, he realizes that he isn't his father and maybe he can have Madison. There are some seriously hot scenes of them throughout, as they try to figure out what the heck they're doing. Of course, there's also a fight, but it's over a misunderstanding so I loved it! Although, they never talk about it. It's just "I love you!" and then happily ever after. Which I oddly didn't mind, because what else matters?

In the end, I really enjoyed Tempting the Best Man. I love couples who bicker and crank up the sexual tension. They were also friends-to-lovers which was great! The horrendous hotel room added a touch of humor, as did Madison's wacky parents (I wish there had been more of them!). A thoroughly enjoyable romance.
on May 13, 2016
I love listening to audio books while working and this was my treat for the day. It is quite a sweet and romantic story with a few hot scenes that can increase your temperature with a few degrees :D The story was definitely entertaining and I enjoyed listening to it. Both characters are quite interesting and even though the story in it's baseline is nothing new, it is given a fresh view.

Maddi is a sweet young woman who's been in love with her older brother's best friend since she can remember. And of course, he's been running from her every chance he gets. That all changes at her brother's wedding when Chase finally realizes that he also has been in love with her his whole life. And he is actually not as bad as he think he is, that he is not his father and he is not going to repeat his mistakes. So yes, it is a story the likes of which you probably read multiple times. But it still fresh and fun to read.

So if you are looking for a somewhat short and relaxing read, this is definitely a good one :)
on June 28, 2017
I've been a huge fan of Jennifer Armentrout ( aka J. Lynn) for years but had never read this series. I'm so glad I finally picked it up. You get the impeccable writing, amazingly to die for lead male character and a great romantic story. Of course, as with most of her books. You get a cocky lead male and nobody writes them better then J. Lynn. This is a sweet, romantic, love story of two people who fight their attraction to one another. The story has great supporting characters as well that I know we get to see in the next few books. It's a quick, easy read but definitely worth it.
on June 28, 2016
Tempting the Best Man is a quick, entertaining read. The book focuses on Madison and Chase. The book is set at a vineyard for the long weekend wedding of Madison's brother. Madison is adorable and sweet and has been in love with her older brother's best friend Chase since she was a young girl. Chase has been running from her since she became a young woman. This book has some of everything; romance, heartbreak, humor, and simple sweetness.

Chase made for an interesting lead. Every time he tried to be a good guy, he messed up. Each time he tried to do what he thought was the right thing, he hurt Madison. Each time Madison's heart broke, mine broke along with hers. I loved the memories each character brought from their shared childhood. It made it so much easier to understand where their emotions were at and their reactions to each other. I also liked the interaction with their families. It was all very sweet which balanced the pain of Madison's bruised heart. Chase's bothers provided the book's humor.

It's a good book overall; I would like to have had Chase's POV more and I would have liked a little more story at the end, but the writing is solid, the characters real, and the story entertaining.
on May 14, 2012
Oh, where do I even begin?! The awesomeness and MUST READ-ness of this book is too much for words. Point blank - YOU. NEED. TO. READ. THIS. BOOK. RIGHT. NOW.

Seriously, stop what you're doing right now and go buy this book, you won't regret it! I loved everything about it. It's got romance, humor, intrigue - everything you need in a good romance novel. And it's in the adult genre so there are some pretty racy/steamy scenes in there that make you swoon and do a bunch of other things, *wink wink*. I loved that the story was told by both Chase and Madison's points of view, because it gives you the chance to see what's really going on and made the story that much more fun to read. I'm a sucker for a male's POV so reading how he felt about Madison and their history together was what really made this an excellent read for me. Seriously, if you could see the Chase I imagined in my head, you'd want him too.

I found all of the characters to be fun and a great addition to the story. The brothers, especially, were the centers of attention and I definitely wanted to know about them.

Anything J. Lynn write is like a drug to me. I devoured this book and honestly couldn't put it down. J. Lynn writing is superb and utterly flawless. As always, J. Lynn captures you right from the very beginning and has you flipping pages like there's no tomorrow. You'll laugh, swoon, and get heated up at all the right moments reading this and if you're anything like me, you'll be begging J. Lynn to write some more about the Gamble brothers!
on January 30, 2015
This was a cute short story. It's the first in a series from the Gambler brothers who are all playboys and haunted by their fathers past indiscretions towards their mother. This is Madison and Chase's story. It was short but it was the perfect length to introduce all the characters and for them since they already had a past. I love Jennifer Armentrout and since this is the only series I haven't read yet I decided to read it. She doesn't disappoint either. This is the only truly adult book I have read from her since more of her others are paranormal and New Adult. If you enjoy her writing I would highly recommend this book.
on May 3, 2012
I know that there will be a lot of people who love this book. A lot. And that's okay, and even understandable with J.Lynn's wonderful writing talent. But this one fell a bit flat for me. I downloaded this book right away as soon as I found out that Jennifer Armentrout was releasing this book under the name J. Lynn. I absolutely love Armentrout's young adult paranormal books. Her writing style pulls me in always, so I was eager to check out this move into an adult contemporary romance genre. What I found was a nice enough romance, but there was little in it to differentiate itself from any other token adult contemporary book found on the market today.

This is basically the story of Madison, who has been in love with her older brother's best friend Chase forever. However, she believes that he doesn't look at her as anything more than his friend's kid sister. At this point everyone is in their mid to late twenties, so they are all grown up and in successful careers, still great friends as they've always been . . . mostly. The book begins as Madison is heading to a remote resort to attend her brother's wedding. She is the maid of honor and Chase is the best man. The entirety of this book takes place during this wedding weekend as Madison and Chase come together, then run apart, then come together, then run apart, and on and on and on. You get the picture. Madison secretly pines for Chase. Chase secretly pines for Madison. As can be typical in these sorts of stories, no one bothers to come right out and say what they are feeling. Feelings get hurt. Apologies ensue. Rinse and repeat. Until the magical happily ever after, of course.

This is a very quick read. For the most part it is a fairly enjoyable read. It seems like the perfect book to grab for a day at the beach. So I would definitely recommend it for that sort of outing. The writing is the kind that I expect from Armentrout with characters who are fairly likeable and a story that keeps me reading in order to make sure that the main couple find their happy ending. However, there were some serious problems that I encountered as I read that kept me from loving this book. First of all I didn't care for the way that the relationship between Maddie and Chase was written. I felt like there needed to be a lot more tension. I kept reading about how the two of them had always been great friends, even though Maddie had mostly filled the hang-along little sister role for most of those years. But there was never any real indication of this attachment at all through the actual dialogue of the book. I wanted better conversation between these two. I don't mind bickering and stuff like that, but I needed to see more of a real connection between Chase and Maddie so that I could pull for them as a couple. Instead I was given scene after scene after scene of the explicit daydreams that Chase had about Maddie and Maddie pining for Chase silently. It seemed as if the only time that the two of them ever had moments that seemed real and authentic, where I could feel the bond between them, conversation went out the window. They never talked. They just kissed a lot. A lot. So I know there will be tons of people that love that about this book. I just needed a lot more emotional bonding as well so that I could be invested in this relationship. Otherwise as a reader it seemed to be a purely superficial relationship.

The pacing of the book felt a little off for me as well. There was no real build up in tension between Chase and Maddie. Of course, Maddie was desperately hoping that Chase would see her as more than just a friend. I understood that she wanted to have a real romantic relationship with Chase. But because Chase and Maddie couldn't keep their hands off one another whenever they found themselves alone in close proximity to one another I never felt the tension that can make books like this exciting. A bit existed, but not enough to make this book one that kept me hooked. And then toward the end there is a big misunderstanding (of course) that drives the two of them apart. First of all, I have a huge problem with big misunderstandings that occur because two adults who are supposedly supposed to be made for each other can't take two minutes out of their day to talk to each other and express their irritations. Just talk to each other! But this is a very common plot device in romance novels, so I find myself reading things like this all the time. Most of the time I just grit my teeth and power through that part of the book, knowing things would work out in the end. In this one however, I was so angry with Maddie's actions and Chase's reaction to it that it almost derailed my experience while reading. Having said that, I know that that is simply my personal feelings about these sorts of situations, so many other readers will not react as strongly against it as I did. But with a big misunderstanding such as that I knew that a resolution bringing Chase and Maddie back together for good was in the works. What happened just fell flat for me. It didn't come across as romantic as I hoped for. Again, others might not agree with me about this. It could just be that I was still feeling some anger about the entire reason that the two of them were separated in the first place at that point. I don't know. I just hoped for a lot more romance between these two characters.

So this first adult contemporary romance by Jennifer Armentrout, written under the name J. Lynn, didn't work for me. However, I still rate her as one of my absolute favorite writers. It was just this particular book that didn't move me the way I expect when I read her books. I expect that others will find it enjoyable though. It is a quick and engaging book in many ways. I just needed more conversation and romantic buildup. Three stars.
on November 7, 2016
Seriously, it was great... but too short. There also wasn't an explanation or definitive a-ha! moment... it almost felt like a dubbed down story... but still phenomenal like all the rest of Armentrout's books.
on December 22, 2014
I feel obligated to rant and rave about how wonderful this was but it just wasn't. I think I'm spoiled by the LUX series, even OBSESSION, the some-what "stand alone" adult novel. Chase and Maddie in this book were kind of a cliche couple in a cliche romance book. It's been so long since I read a romance-for the sake of romance -book that I think my expectations were too high. The Lux series was such a page turner I only stopped reading when sleep got in the way, even then I'd turn it on audio reader to keep the story going. This book I stopped reading q at times outta pure boredom q and disinterest. This is not a must read page turner. In all fairness it had its captivating moments. It's was fast paced never really dull and I liked that there weren't extended periods of time that lagged on between scenes were the two main characters aren't together. J.Lynn should get readers by keeping the main q characters in q the fore front and her supporting characters are always strong and endearing enough that you q can't help but develop a lasting fondness for them as well. The GAMBLE brothers all seem to possess that type of genuine article personality that makes one adore them. I'm glad I read this, haven't committed yet to reading the others. I assume the other books will be about the other two brothers. Intricately this story was just fine. Overall, it was rather general, cliche and in the end rather "bleh"' but I'm sure it did the deed as far as romance novels go. I chose to read it because of the author and the synopsis and I think given The LUXEN introduction I initially had with this author I expected more from this book than what it was supposed to offer. In the end, I guess the book did its job
on March 3, 2015
Hmmmmm. I'm not like humming right now with a big dopey grin and yeah. This chick can write a story. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll keep it short and to the point. It's awesome.

During the story I did get annoyed with the characters a bit but trust me it in no way takes anything away from the read. Chase and Maddie. Maddie and chase. Holy s*** combustible.
This is not a ya and the steam gets down right hellacious. The angst between these two was intense and frustrating but in a good way. I great writing, I laughed and smiled and I may have squealed a time or three. Yes. Her writing is just that damn good.

The absolute only reason I didn't give this fiver perfect little stars was simply because I felt the ending was just missing something. Probably a personal deal but I felt Maddie just didn't lay into him enough. She let him string her along in a way and instead of doing what I wanted her to do-which was grab him by the balls and squeeze until he listened and yes I've done it to my hubby it works, she just ran. And kept it to herself. Annoying as hell for a gal like me. But it was a short and intense story so overall I would say it's a must read. It definitely leaves you with that sappy feeling. At the end I. Felt like Id conquered a mountain. Great job by a wonderful talented author.