Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on May 28, 2016
This is seriously one of the best, most practical books I've read on the topic of inflammation and what to do about it. As it seems, inflammation is pretty much the root of all evil (physically speaking - it looks like even diabetes may be inflammation induced). After 3 months or so I let the program go and started to do my own thing again - not the best choice I could have made. So I am about to start it again. It was pretty easy once I got started. Did not lose a lot of weight, but I did look good and I felt great, and the problem with feeling great and looking good is that I decided I had it under control and didn't need to do this any longer. Until I manage to get my thinking in a better place more reliably, so that my body processes can go back to their natural, healthy, state vibrationally, (see anything at all by Esther and Jerry Hicks aka Abraham-Hicks), this is my physical path.
on May 14, 2008
I agree with the reviewers who say that this is a fantastic program. However, I'd like to point out that the time for meal preparation on this plan isn't any different than "normal" meal preparation unless you get every one of your meals through a drive through (and even then, you need to consider the time it takes to get there and sit in line). I've actually found bringing meals to work takes no more time than before I started the plan. Before starting this plan--breakfast bar, soup/microwave entrée, munchies. On the plan--boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, can of tuna/left-over chicken breast, salad dressing. It takes the same amount of time to shop, prep, stuff it in a bag, and get out the door. I boil eggs in a big batch, peel them, and grab them as needed for breakfasts and salads. I cook extra protein at dinner and bring it for lunch. I've also noticed many stores in my area sell boiled, peeled eggs and cooked, sliced chicken breasts. How convenient is that? How hard is it to swap a candy bar for an apple?

The first week of the exercise routine was difficult. Someone who is out of shape will not find this "easy," but the exercises are do-able, and being able to go from 1 push-up to 10, even though it doesn't seem like much to "fit" folks, is motivating. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? :)

If you're looking for a "quick fix," this isn't for you. If you are looking for a plan that will change your life and your relationship with food, get this.
on June 1, 2008
I HIGHLY recommend this book! It was a life changer for me. Thanks to the food plan, I no longer suffer from extreme carb cravings, brain fog, or being extremely cold all the time. Those symptoms are gone! It also is great for my IBS. Not to mention, the amount of energy I have is through the roof. Hallelujah!!!! Notice I said food plan? Dr. Lydon walks you through a diet where you eliminate certain foods at the beginning and slowly add food groups back in over a period of 6 weeks checking for adverse reactions to foods along the way. Each phase is nutritionally complete. I already knew I was allergic to gluten, but also found I'm reactive to soy and cow milk. Now I'm eating foods that benefit my body rather than causing low levels of inflammation. The crazy thing is I don't crave the foods I've eliminated. I can now walk into the kitchen anticipating a delicious meal where I'll feel satisfied rather than dreading I'll blow my diet by eating too much or munching on sweets.
The exercise routine hits all body parts and my muscles have developed faster on this program than any other I've tried plus it very fast and great for people who have little time. Dr. Lydon clearly explains why long term cardio workouts and carb/calorie restrictions (i.e. carb deficit) do not work and can actually set your body up to become fatter. She explains the myths surrounding calorie burning (how our bodies handle protein, fat, carbs differently and how it adjusts to exercise) and why your body can handle 1 cup of nuts per day and still loose inches. She bases everything on scientific studies, which are quoted so you can read them for yourself. I greatly appreciated her friendly writing style and felt her explanations were clear and concise for the average lay person. The appendices in the book summarize the exercise/food/supplements for each week. The food selection is huge plus it is so simple to do. You do not have to measure, count calories, points, etc. It is very liberating!
Dr. Lydon also started a forum (same name as the book), so people can ask questions and share results/experiences or any problems their encountering. There is also a recipe section and many members of the forum are food geniuses!
Oh, and best of all? You will loose inches and reshape your body. I certainly did! For motivation, just read the success stories on her website. Good luck to you!
on August 20, 2013
I bought it mainly for the nutritional advice not so much the exercise program.

The exercises, in my view, are little bit too light. I want a longer, tougher work-out. But someone who is looking for something easy, then this book might be just right.

With that said, the nutritional advice is spot-on. A very simple and easy to follow plan, and scientifically correct. It is clear that the author knows her stuff. (She is a medical doctor and also an athlete -- trained in competitive body-building for a long time.)
on April 2, 2010
it was really rough to get started with the elimination, but once i got through it, i feel great! so many people quit diets or vitamins b/c they start to feel bad...PUSH THROUGH IT...it's your body flushing itself and trying to get used to a new way of doing things. THE RIGHT WAY, BY THE WAY! The first 2 to 3 wks are hard, but very worth it! PUSH ON!!!!
on April 2, 2008
Just received my copy and read it through immediately. Know I've tried every diet plan known and invested lots of money on books. As I read, I was so excited...finally, this is it! Throughout the years, I've conformed my eating to what everyone was saying was working. I might have gotten skinny for a momment, then back would come the pounds, as I deprived myself of foods I loved, but were "no-no's" of some plan. This is how I would eat if left to my own devices, protein with all the fruits and veggies I want, and I don't have to eat grains or dairy, unless I want to after so many weeks. Know these principles have been written down before, but this book is so readable, believable and well thought-out. The advice does fly in the face of tightly held thinking, but it makes so much sense. Really did feel a sense of relief and "coming home" when I read it. This is just my initial response to the book, I just started today, but I've never been thi excited or inspired by a bood before.
on February 13, 2008
Most successful plan I've read. Lost my cravings by day 2. Total cholesterol went from 190 to 148 in 4 weeks. Exercises are doable, even for an arthritic 60 year old!
on June 16, 2016
It's a great book filled with doable advice for practical healthy eating and exercise choices.
on May 20, 2014
This diet works like a healthy Atkins diet. I like that I can eat all the fruit and vegetables that I want to. The exercise plan was easy to do and works pretty quickly. I would recommend that people give this a try. It worked very well for me.
on May 26, 2016