Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Terminator Salvation (Single-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 281 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on December 5, 2009
for the movie itself, i give it 5 stars. I loved Terminator Salvation. But overall, the Director's cut was kind of a let down.

the regular version is exactly 115 minutes, Director's Cut is 117 minutes. THe only real added shots in the Director's cut is a surprise terminator attack at the beginning of the film (when Connor leads his men down the water filled tunnel), a bit more Connor speach where he mentions his mom right before "then what is the point in winning" and the "nude" shot of Moon Bloodgood.

the 2nd disc features 2 Terminator Salvation features. the 1st one is solid, called "Refocusing on the future". This feature runs about 20 minutes and is pretty neat, but way too short. Clerks 2 for exampled had a feature that ran over 1 hour covering everything from pre-production to post production.

the 2nd feature has about 4 short (3-5 minutes each) features that talk about the moto-terminators, the return of Arnold, the use of the Air Force in helping with the film, etc.

Overall, the movie is awesome, but the DVD Director's cut is a let down when you really think about it. They really could have just stuck everything on one DVD instead of 2.

for this reason, 4 stars.
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2009
I terminated 2.5 hours of my overcast afternoon to get to and wait in line for the sneak preview of Terminator Salvation, so I figured that I might as well try to get my review up tonight to help people make an informed, spoiler-free decision this weekend. I know I waited about the length of movie in line, but I did walk into it knowing what to expect and I got exactly that: a summer blockbuster action movie.

The plot is basically what you think it is given the plots of the first two movies (the third one doesn't really count in the continuum of this movie's timeline, from what I remember of it). In the future, the government contracts Skynet for defense technologies, which creates robots that end up becoming self-aware and decide that humanity is a threat on "Judgement Day" and start trying to destroy the entire human population. Unlike the first two movies, which take place because robots from the future travel back in time, this one takes place in the middle of the war with John Connor right in the middle of the resistance as they prepare to attack Skynet. If I tell you any more than that then it would spoil what little there is to be spoiled (but the trailer does spoil quite a bit).

It's really easy to pick apart this movie. Let's face it: it's a hardcore action movie. No one is going to see it for quotable dialogue. Sadly, you never really connect to the characters so you don't care much about them. Character development is slim-to-nil, even with the leading role of Christian Bale as John Connor. Some of the supporting characters give predictably weak performances, most notably Common (although he is very good at hip hop). The only characters I ever felt myself caring about were Sam Worthington's and Moon Bloodgood's. I'm not even going to get into the scientific impossibilities or inconsistencies in the movie, or its strange idea of time (which differs with Lost and Star Trek). Of course, no one is going to this movie for a character study though or scientific accuracy, so to critique those points would be dumb. You're really going because you want to see evil robots trying to kill people.

You will definitely see a lot of that. Those robots get pretty creepy, so if the robot apocalypse scares you excessively then this is definitely not the movie for you. Seriously, the robots are creepy, and there are some startling moments (not a whole lot, just a few). I definitely don't think the movie is appropriate for any kids younger than 13 (though I think even 15 is kind of pushing it). There's no sex or excessive gore, but there's plenty of violence and the robots are eerie. The dystopian future it paints can just be a lot to handle for a young teenager.

Anyway, the action is definitely stellar. There's also a lot of it. It reminds me of Mission: Impossible 3 since the breaks between action scenes are few and far between, and each action scene is ridiculously intense and has you very anxious. I have to admit that it's a bit of a stressful movie to watch after a full day of work, but it's still fun. The only criticism I can viably make about the action is that at times the characters didn't seem sufficiently scared about the situations they found themselves in, but I could believe that they live in a world where the stuff that happens in this movie just doesn't phase them anymore because they've been totally desensitized to it.

I was sitting in the very front of the theater and I didn't notice any crummy CG. Whatever CG they had was actually pretty believable. They do an incredible job of creating a world and a reality that you believe could happen. I seriously found myself pondering what I'd do to deal with the robot apocalypse at points in this movie. I really wished they took it a step farther and covered a little bit further some of the ethical/logistical issues they touched upon with regard to robots rather than skirting them or handling them awkwardly, but I knew that it really wasn't that kind of movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I'm not the pretentious film critic who's going to give this movie an F just because it wasn't the best movie of the year. Sure it didn't measure up to Watchmen or Star Trek, but it was a solid action movie. We live these super busy lives where we don't take a whole lot of time to stop and just rest and enjoy something, and I think that Terminator Salvation, ironically enough, gives us something to enjoy as a fun experience. Assuming that you don't think you're going to have nightmares about the robot apocalypse, I definitely recommend seeing this movie while it's in theaters. I've seen better action movies so I have to give it a solid B-, but I still think it's a very worthwhile B movie.
77 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2009
The movie was good, a few bad lines, but mostly the editing was really off, they shouldn't have cut the time down to under 2 hours and made it a PG-13 flick. That was a big mistake, that's like making Rambo a G-rated film, it's just not right. Christian Bale is good as John Connor, he gives an alright performance, but he could have done a little better. Anton Yelchin (Young Kyle Reese) did a superb job portraying the young hardened soldier who will eventually go back to protect young Sarah Connor, but not in this film. The movie is good, but due to editing and script changes here and there, caused the movie's poor performance at the box office. It's still a good film to watch, it gives us a fresh new look at the world post Judgment Day. It's NO James Cameron film by a long shot, but still decent with good action. Just don't expect to follow the plot as it has it's ups and downs by the different writers that wrote the screenplay. Expect a future blu-ray/dvd Terminator Salvation: Extended Cut (I don't know what they will call it) to contain most of the deleted scenes 30-40 mins worth with the original ending and an alternate storyline to debut sometime in late 2010. It's an alternate version of the film, much like Donner's Superman II cut. This only has 3 mins added, with Moon Bloodgood's breasts and a couple of F-Bombs in this sad director's cut.
1212 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2011
Don't get fooled by the digital copy claim that is on for this product. It expired in December 2010. Other than that I am happy with it.
on December 2, 2009
[....]

Now, with that out of the way....

This "Rated R" cut of the film is truly the best version of it. I don't agree with the way that some of the additional scenes were dropped in, but it probably serves the film better to not have eloquent wipes and dissolves. That way, the viewer is dropped into it and it's an enjoyable ride. McG and Co. really put forth the effort on this film, and contrary to the scathing reviews by the so-called "professionals", it is rather enjoyable. It sure as hell beats most of the other films that came out around the Summer period!

The action, effects, and storytelling were done very well. However, there are times when Worthington and Bale's Australian and English accents came out in the dialogue. I must admit that it distracted me from the experience and reminded me that it was "just a film" until the next chase or explosion came along.

The Bonus Features Disc has some great behind the scenes and "how they did it" stuff, but was kind of short and felt like there could have been more.

Overall, a good effort and a good starting point for a new series of films. Terminator films, even with their flaws, take us on a wild ride. Mission accomplished. I await the next one!
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2009
I agree with previous posts! I am so tired of them trying to shove Blue Ray down everyone's throats by forcing them to purchase BR instead of DVDs because they are not putting extras, or alternate versions, or even second discs with the DVD versions anymore. I don't own a Blue Ray player and I'm not buying one just so I can watch extras (however the extras are half the reason I buy a movie a lot of times). I'll keep buying regular old DVD's if they have the FULL PACKAGE or I won't buy any at all and wait until they release it with all the extras. It's crap.

I'm in the entertainment industry and I want to see the storyboards, the preproduction, the special effects, hear the commentary, etc. Every time a new wave of movies are released there's less and less on the DVD and they're putting it on TWO blue ray discs (which defeats the purpose of blue ray anyway - it's supposed to hold more and they're putting the same mount of content on 2 blue rays as they did on 2 DVDs). They're just trying to get as much money out of people as they can. It's CRAP.

Overall I enjoyed this movie, but am not happy about the DVD vs. Blue Ray release. Might as well stop making DVD's altogether if you want us to buy Blue Ray so badly.
3636 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
I like the Terminator movies pretty well. This movie is definitely better than the 3rd, which I didn't really care for.
SPOILERS AHEAD, STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT...
I really enjoyed Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, he is a really good actor. Sam Worthington is a decent actor with one caveat: his accent. The man cannot hold an American accent to save his life. I found his dialogue very distracting. The second thing that bothered me was the ending. Like they could really pull off a heart transplant under those conditions. I know movies require a degree of suspended disbelief but the ending actually made me laugh out loud at how ridiculous it was. Aside from those two things I found this movie pretty entertaining and would recommend it to anyone who likes the Terminator franchise, or action/sci-fi films in general.
on August 8, 2015
If you like the other Terminator movies, you will most probably like this one. Because it really does not have Arnold in it for more than a cameo, it is not quite like the others, but still good. It does keep the story of John Connor ongoing.
on November 14, 2015
I liked this move. I thought it was a great revamp of a tired franchise. Bale was a great addition fresh off his Dark Knight boost. I thought the ending was rushed and implausible, but hey, that's the future and maybe they could do a medical procedure that quickly. I watch it periodically.
on April 14, 2013
Sam Worthington did an outstanding job as Marcus Wright, the convicted murderer who is given a second chance by the dying Dr. Serena Kogan in 2003. However, Marcus's second chance begins in 2018 when he is awakened or freed from his Skynet cell for a special mission.

Of course Marcus is unaware of his true, altered self and his deadly mission programmed into his brain by Skynet. As the film evolves, the concept of what is truly human is examined in intricate detail.

Michael Ironside as General Ashdown gave another stellar performance as the war-weary commander who wanted to end Skynet once and for all with an all out assault with a secret weapon. Ironside always delivers a memorable character.

Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, the most wanted man on the Skynet world, and his young apprentice, Star played brilliantly by Jadagrace added a nice touch to this CGI laden film. You could say Star saves the day at the end of the film.

There were a few new twists to the story which this film explored. The scene in the manufacturing facility where John Connor is searching for Kyle was a surprise for fans of the first three films. This was well done.

Overall, the film is a good story told well and the CGI is well integrated into the human interaction. The ending is not as surprising as intended since one could have surmised what the second chance motif actually meant throughout the film.

The $200 million feature made over $371 million worldwide. Terminator 5 will see Arnold Schwarzenegger "in the flesh".