Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on October 19, 2012
I purchased this book because I didn't want to spend $1,800 on a commercially-built cage large enough to house my 10-foot anerythristic Colombian boa. Unfortunately, this book is not written with that intention.

Ideally, snakes should have at least 1 square foot of enclosure space for each foot of snake, and the 90-gallon glass aquarium he's been living in for the past 6 years has gotten rather small. For optimal health and longevity, and quality of life, they should be able to stretch out to their full length with a slight space to either side in the enclosure (it should be about as long as they are). Enclosures large enough for this from companies such as Cages By Design are absolutely gorgeous, but far too expensive for people in my financial situation. Products like Vision cages, or BoaPhile products, are plastic and completely unattractive in my opinion.

This particular book provides good information for people who wish to BUY a glass aquarium (or greenhouse) and plant it with live plants to house reptiles. This book does NOT contain information about building any large enclosure from scratch. This was a total disappointment to me. I rated 2 stars rather than 1 because, while it doesn't provide any of the information I was interested in, it does a fairly good job of describing how to create attractive enclosures using glass aquariums.

If you're a DIY kinda person, skip this book. If you want to throw rocks, dirt, and plants into something someone else built, this may be the book for you.
on August 1, 2013
I was disappointed in this book because the section on terrariums was very short but information on terrarium animals took up most of the book.On a positive note the photography was excellent.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Help make you pet feel safe and secure in his home designed to be like he would find in the wild.
on August 23, 2014
Great book. Good information. It will give you good insights into setting-up an enclosure for your reptiles, spiders, or plants. I learned a lot from this book.
on November 30, 2013
This book shows nothing about actually 'constructing' a cage, it was more about decorating for either desert, tropical, ect. Much better books out there than this one
on April 27, 2003
For each setup, a lot of space devoted to different types of animals and each types general care. Would have liked to have more information on design ideas, construction tips, and maintenance of actual terrariums.
on June 5, 2001
I got this book in hopes of finding detailed information about the actual construction and maintenace techniques for terrariums/vivariums. While this book does address those issues for a few pages, the bulk of the content deals with the various types of reptiles, amphibians, crustaceans, and insects that may be kept. If your are looking for a book that addresses the potential denizens of the terrarium specifically, this would make a very good reference - especially if you are still trying to decide what you want. However, I had to give it four stars because I found the title misleading.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2006
The title of the book is absolutely misleading!

I ordered this book together with 7 others and my hopes in this book was totally smashed the moment I opened and browsed through. It contained very little information on what I thought it should and many of the books I already owned had more info. The terrarium set ups were very unexciting. I tried going through amazon.com again trying to look for more books pertaining to "this subject" but much to my dismay, this was the only book recommended. This book contains more on recommendations of terrarium inmates rather than cage construction.
on November 3, 2006
I found this book very useful and informative. I have buildt terrariums since I was a child, collecting all kinds of scaly pets and the number one rule my mom made me follow was making them escape proof. These did not always work out well with missing snakes turning up in the laundry and a toothy alligator taking a bite of my hand when I first started out collecting such wonderful creatures. Boy do I wish that I had this book when I was a kid. This is a great book for both beginner and someone like me who's always looking for goood ideas on the subject.
on November 28, 2003
I bought the book being a person who loves zoos and was expecting it to cover the materials, chemicals, theorys, and design/setup of the cage and what plants to use with what lighting but none of the above really appeared in the book a completely misleading title and poor purchase.