Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on November 3, 2013
The whole time I was reading this book, I kept asking myself "why am I still reading this?" The book is breezy and nice, but really doesn't have much new to say, unless you're particularly interested in what Kevin Savetz was doing in high school. The various adventures of the author are often kind of interesting, yet I kept expecting something bigger and/or better to happen. It didn't. Maybe the problem is that I bought this book in a fit of nostalgia after finishing "Commodore: Company on the Edge". The Commodore book was the kind of fascinating nostalgia where you sort of know the story, but are shocked and amazed by the details you didn't know. "Terrible Nerd" isn't like that. Here the details are just sort of amusing, but nothing really makes you say, "Wow, I'm really glad I learned this.". Anyway, the fact that I finished it is proof it's not at all a bad read, but overall I cannot recommend it very highly.
on March 1, 2013
Terrible Nerd is a fun biography from Kevin Savetz on growing up with computers in the 80′s, pioneering on the Internet in the 90′s, and then up to his current day adventures.

So many of Kevin’s experiences were mine back in the day with the Atari obsession and typing pages of BASIC code from magazines.

But while my story stops with having an Atari 400 in the house in the mid-80′s, Kevin shares his path of nerdy fun the whole time through.

Even if you weren't around or didn't get into games and computers back then, it’s a fun peek into Kevin’s coming of age and hearing all of the experiences in his voice that resulted in friendships, hobbies, and a career.

I have known Kevin for years and didn't realize he was AOL’s Internet AnswerMan – I learned HTML from tutorials on AOL and probably asked him a question or two back then.

And I was absolutely fascinated that he once managed to accidentally crash the Internet for all of Europe.
on December 27, 2012
At first I didn't think I'd find much to relate to in this book, since I had very little experience with home computers before the IBM PC and have never had much interest in computer games. I was oh so pleasantly surprised to find that while these are major players in the book, this autobiography is so much deeper and interesting. Kevin goes into detail about the various generations of computer hardware and software throughout his life, but the book is really a story of coming-of-age, finding your way in the world, and doing what you love.

Kevin's shocking openness about some disturbing events in his childhood and his honesty about some actions he's not proud of just serve to draw you into the book even more. All in all, a fast enjoyable read.
on March 27, 2016
The author has a great writing style that is enjoyable to read. This book was not just a great walk through history, but was also a great life story about a real person. Thanks for helping me relive a small piece of my past.
on December 15, 2012
This book had me laughing and reminiscing a lot of the 80s. It resonates well among the geeks and the nerds of that era as we grew up experiencing the changes in lifestyle brought upon by the personal computer and video games. I shared his many experiences with video games and although I'm not a programmer, understood most of the computer jargon he used in the book. For the non geeks out there, this book may bore you but for us, it brings back the lovely halcyon days of discovering new worlds, games and new ways of doing things using the personal computer. This book made me realize how fortunate some of us are growing up in that era. Thanks Kevin for sharing it with us!
on January 3, 2013
A wonderful little trip through the history of personal computing as seen through the eyes of Kevin Savetz.

Kevin’s story is fairly similar to my own, and that of a lot of people I know. We grew up online thirty years before the era of social media. I’ve read a couple of these memoirs so far, and I’ve enjoyed Kevin’s the most. Others I’ve read tended to focus on how many “warez” they accumulated and such. What I like about Kevin’s story is that he takes a longer view and thus sees some of the bigger trends of the dawn of the era of the personal computer.
on January 14, 2013
Very well written and amply creative, couldn't put it down. The book brought back so many fond memories. I was moved by all his relationships, specifically his father. I found great joy with the links to all the old ad mailers. Funny how I thought I was unique in hording all those magazines and ad paraphernalia. I was overboard on anything IBM, OS/2 or Amiga related. I recall getting grounded for calling into BBS's on my parents phone line. He has a new follower in me. Thank you for a wonderful reading experience.
on December 2, 2012
Great book about the author growing up in the early 1980's, surrounded by all the new consumer computer technology that we all begged our parents to buy for us on christmas or birthdays.Luckily for Keven Savetz, he did get a few of those gifts under the xmass tree and turned it all into an interesting journalistic career that we all get read about in his book, Terrible Nerd.
on March 30, 2013
Mr. Savetz, thanks for sharing your history, and many specific informations regarding the old computers (where to find them, where are the emulators, etc).

If you enjoyed computers since those times, or would like to learn about them, this is by far the best book around.
on February 24, 2013
Loved reading about the early computer systems such as Atari, Intellivision, and Commodore 64. The book was fun and easy to ready. I read before going to sleep and I found myself wanting to go up to bed early just so I can read a bit more of the book.