Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon May 28, 2012
Book One: Cades Cove

David and Miriam Hobbs go to Tennessee for their fifteenth wedding anniversary. David finds an old bag while they are visiting the old ravine in which used to serve as Cades Cove's "Lovers' Lane". Stitched near the top are the words "Allie Mae's Treasures". On impulse, David takes the bag with him. Once David and Miriam return to their home in Littleton, Colorado, strange things begin to happen. Allie Mae had seen them at the ravine and has mistaken David for one of the two boy from her past. Allie Mae also believes that one of David's sons, Tyler, is the second boy from her past. Her spirit is angry and thirsty for revenge.

In hopes of ridding his family from Allie Mae's wrath, David tries several ways to dispose of the bag. As Allie Mae's anger becomes deadly, David decides to travel to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There, with the help of Ranger John Running Deer, David will try to banish Allie Mae's spirit. If David fails to do so, his entire family will suffer.

**** FOUR STARS! This tale of a vengeful spirit became downright creepy at times. In the latter half of the book, the author delves into Indian Lore and ceremonies. To say I was riveted would be putting it lightly. Like many horror novels, this one ends with a scene that makes one wonder if it is truly over. Unlike many horror novels, this one ties up just about all loose ends. The only real loose end deals with another entity and its details are listed during the last few pages of this story. This entity will be the focus in the next title, The Raven Mocker. ****

Book Two: The Raven Mocker

Ruth Guarni'er "Auntie Ruth" travels to Colorado to spend the Christmas holidays with the Hobbs family. She brings some gems that have been in the family for more than eighty years. Before Auntie Ruth can even settle into the guestroom, another wicked spirit makes itself known.

When the remains of Allie Mae are recovered (end of Book One: Cades Cove), authorities also find items from another source. The remains and a scepter belonging to a much more ancient entity shares the resting place in the sacred Cades Cove ravine. These remains are over a thousand years in age. Evidence shows many bones and some clothing from several different eras. They are believed to have been sacrifices, but that has yet to be proven. The University of Tennessee's Knoxville campus has claimed these items. The university has no idea of the severe consequences it has set into motion.

After witnessing some odd phenomenon in the guestroom, the Hobbs family calls in Sara Palmer, a gifted parapsychologist. Sara informs that the being longs for the restoration of a world he once knew and reigned in. However, the ancient one is not only tormenting the Hobbs family. Ranger John Running Deer's home and family in Tennessee is under siege too.

**** FOUR STARS! This story begins about six weeks after the previous title ends. If you purchased Cades Cove and The Raven Mocker separately, rest assured that both stories can stand alone. You do not have to read the first title in order to enjoy this one; however, I strongly suggest you do.

This story has a higher body count than the first and a lot more gut-churning suspense. The farther into the tale I read, the creepier it became. If you are looking for a horror story that tempts you to sleep with your bedroom light on, this is it. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on January 18, 2011
Cade's Cove is a great book just so much fun to read, I could barely put it down. I felt like a kid again reading all hours of the night under the covers with a newfound secret. I'm such a horror fan and this book had me scared of every creak and sound I heard wherever I went, this book will definitely stay with you! David Hobbs the main character was so likeable that I went through every emotion with him through his hell on earth haunting that he had to endure. I have always believed that ghosts/demons can be attached to items and Allie Mae's Treasures brought that story to life. I am so thankful I purchased the 2 novel pack because after Cades Cove I wanted more and the second book The Raven Mocker is satisfying that appetite.
on September 22, 2011
I picked this one out initially because of the "Cades Cove" in the title. My family has been going there my entire life and I was thrilled at being able to pick out some of the landmarks. After the first few chapters, it's clear that Cades Cove itself is not integral to the story, which is to say that it could have taken place anywhere. Miriam and David are a couple from Littleton, CO on a trip to Gatlinburg to renew the heat in their marriage. They come across a clearing hidden deep within Cades Cove, where they find a little pouch. David takes the pouch with the intention of turning into the parks service, but that never happens and he returns to Colorado with it. As you can imagine, wackiness ensues. A female ghost, and a rather vicious one at that, begins her reign of terror on David and his family and friends. Through the course of the story, we learn what has happened to this girl during another time in Cades Cove and what David can do to make it right. Along the way, he meets John Running Deer, a long time resident of Cades Cove who believes David's story and embarks on the journey to help him.

The first novel was scary and quite difficult to put down. The second one, though, was a bit over the top, and you are left thinking, "Come on, really?" All in all worth the read, and I'm not typically into paranormal stories. This one combines history, folklore, culture and many other things to make an overall satisfying story.
on December 7, 2011
Aiden James has produced a pair of riveting tales here. The Characters are well-developed and quite believable. The settings seem to be accurate. The stories are original concepts and will keep your heart pounding. The only reason that this is a 4-star review instead of 5-stars is that the stories are in need of an editor. All too often, I find myself racing through the story and suddenly stumble upon a grammatical error, requiring me to pick myself up, dust off, and reestablish my pace. Adverbs especially are a weak area, which a good editor could fix with the stroke of a pen.

I still am glad that I had the opportunity to read this pair of stories. Mr. James has a knack for spinning a terrific tale.
on April 8, 2011
Folks I have read a lot of horror and suspense novels over the years,but Aiden James has really been a pleasant discovery as authors go.His character development is strong enough that the reader will be doing a bit of head scratching,thinking you know or have known the characters in these two books.The settings are also a very big plus,especially for those readers that have ever visited Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and know something of the layout of this serene pastoral mountain cove.Thrills,chills and horror,yes indeed as Aiden James has woven plenty of all this into a very absorbing storyline.Get these two books and you will pray that nothing goes "bump" in the night in the hours between midnight and dawn!
on August 30, 2011
I really enjoyed both these books- the Evil contained within them is well imagined and the suddenness of it's stikes and use of emotional terror is brilliant. My fav character is John Running Deer, whom I desperately wanted to survive and continuously rooted for. He reminds perfectly of the elder Native American and embodies the ancient wisdom that was passed on and has since fallen out of times. I loved how I was able to purchase both books and have them loaded in my kindle app as one- kept me awake and lost sleep reading, clinging to my device just HAVING to know what happened next!
on January 24, 2016
To me it has a slow start but once you really get into it it is really hard to put down! I could read it again and again!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 21, 2014
well written and very good plot, it was a very interesting read held my interest during the whole time i was reading the book
on May 3, 2016
Excellent! Love the home town feel when you. Read the books
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 23, 2011
These two books should definitely be bought together because after you read the first one you won't be satisfied until you read the next one. Now I can't wait for another one. I hope Aiden James continues this series because he has a sure winner on his hands. Lots of literary praise for Aiden and his writing.