BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2015
(PROPELLER NOISE FIX!)

Alright so I purchased two of these filters for my tank to replace the older models (but still quite similar) that I had. First off I'd like to clarify that I also had issues with it being noisy, at first; however I was able to find THE FIX!

The problem I had was very much similar to the other reviews, I noticed that I had not properly seated the propeller tube assembly in the filter housing correctly. If you look closely where the propeller tube assembly sits on the housing you will see two small notches. MAKE SURE you align the notches up correctly and more importantly MAKE SURE you put enough downwards pressure to properly seat the tube. It can take quite a bit of force and is a bit scary because I feared I would break the plastic tubing.

Once you feel the propeller tube assembly snap into place all the way you will quickly realize why it was making so much noise.

(The photo attached shows where the notches are at, and where you will need to apply the stern pressure in order to get it to seat properly)
review image
77 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2016
Excellent price on Amazon Prime. Comes with a bio filter and tube extension, everything you need. Great flow! Bought six, (4) 40's, (1) 30, (1) 20, two "used" and saved few bucks but made a terrible noises that could not be troubleshot away. Had an extra impeller, and replaced it, to eliminate noisy pump. The cover did not fit properly. Contacted the seller and they said they had not experienced these issues before, and made no recommendation for resolution.
02/17 - Lowered 5 star rating to 4 for that reason.
06/17 - Bought the Whisper Filter - 20, for a temporary 10 gallon set up, it was missing parts, media, and leaked all over the place since it was not assembled right. This also made excessive noise. Cover did not fit properly.
Lowered rating from 4 stars to 3 star rating!
Note: The Whisper 40's are the highest quality, but do not allow fit of the hood and lighting on the micro tanks. A plus: all model filters come with a Bio-sponge, which make this filter a 3-way media filter (Bio-sponge, Polishing Bio-bag w/carbon).
Because the fiber bio-bags tend to deteriorate - even after a month, recommend utilizing the universal reusable "media bags" of various mesh, installed on the frame, holding the carbon/ ammonia remover, keeping the media contained.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 23, 2016
Update: the replacement filter works! However getting it running was overly frustrating. My filter was making zero sound, as if it wasn't plugged in at all. I tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions in the directions and none of them worked. I had almost given up in frustration when I deciddd to look at the questions posted on this site. I found a suggestion in one of those answers to try and turn the power box clockwise while the filter was plugged in. I had tried this but not while it was plugged in. That did the trick!

The company was very responsive and offered to send me some free cartridges for my hassle which I appreciate. They were quick to address my issues and seemed genuinely interested in making it right and the customer happy.

My filter doest work. First time setting it up and it doesn't even attempt to bring water into it. Did all trouble shooting. Very disappointed.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2015
This filter works when given proper information on set up and care . First, The Power filter 30 impeller is leaps and bounds better than the one in the Power Filter 40 . The Black bio media foam is easy to care for just rise it in a bowl filled half way with purified water wan gently squeeze rise it in it the Floss Carbon filter is simple Get the 12 pack put together pack and get a 50 oz jug of Marineland ammonia neutralizing crystals and just go half and half with the carbon pouches included with the Power filter 12 pack Bio Bag kit . I have a full grown Plecasumus and a shubunkin goldfish and Fan tail goldfish and the they are happy with the filter set up Note : use q-tips to clean the impeller hole on the motor and use a regular pipe cleaner to clean the inside of the impeller after you carefully remove the rubber "button" on the steel shaft . To clean the "Wonder Tube " I use a Flexable cleaning brush like this http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Aquarium-Cleaning-Bendable--Perfect-Especially/dp/B008LR2KCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429158641&sr=8-1&keywords=flexible+aquarium+brush
on April 28, 2017
Great product for the price. I like that it has a knob on top to restrict flow while feeding the fish. Saves on food and reduces filter changes. I also like the filter cartridges, in that you only need to replace the filter material and not the plastic frame. This lowers cost, reduces plastic waste and by reusing the frame, the biological growth that is helpful for the aquarium environment remains. Other filters use a bio-wheel to do this, something that would be nice to see on this filter, but perhaps it is patented...

The filter started out very loud, but it seems that after a couple days has quieted down a little. Still louder than I'd like, but still only on day two.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 18, 2017
Installed this filter a month ago. Cleaned the tank up quickly after a soil/gravel mixture... A week ago, it stopped pumping. An internet report on it said to clean the impeller and pump cavity. Did that. And it quit pumping again, and again, and again. At least every other day, it stops pumping... It seems like this is a problem with this particular filter.... Any help would be appreciated!
on July 12, 2013
I bought this filter system for my 20 gal. tank a little nervous that it might be too big but its just right. You can adjust the filter valve tube so that is one inch above the gravel in different size tanks. Other reviews complained about it sucking up their fish but there is no reason to if you leave the last part of the filter tube on (adjust your flow isn't going to prevent that without that part).

The extra power allows me to keep my tank clean which has been a struggle with my goldfish. It runs pretty quiet, just make sure your water level isn't down or it will make it sound louder than what it is. I took a big chance buying this on sale but it was cheaper than something smaller at the store so I thought I would try this. All in all love system and highly recommend it.
Enthusiast: Makeupon July 19, 2014
Perfect! I use this for my RES turtle's kiddie pool. Does an awesome job keeping the water moving & clean. I really like the double filter system (charcoal & sponge). I had a 20gal tetra filter & I was SO happy to see I can still use those filters. I like how it hangs on the outside of tank/pool so it frees up space. It's pretty quiet, the waterfall pretty much muffles any motor sound. It did rattle at first, but I just adjusted the lid & had to adjust it's support.
Oh, and read the instruction...apparently you need to ADD water to fill the reservoir before you plug it in, otherwise the water won't pump through. (Rookie error!)
Also the tube is hard plastic but it has extensions for lower water levels...you need at least a few inches of water.
on May 31, 2017
I love that his one resides outside my tank, rather than inside. It is quiet, and quiet suitable for my 29 gallon tank. It keeps the water quite clear with suitable filter changes for the number of fish I have. The filters are expensive, and you might want to consider getting the "unassebled" filters, which can save you a good deal of money.
on August 28, 2017
It works as advertised, but not whisper quiet. There is some impeller noise, but for $22 bucks, you get what you pay for. There was some vibration between to top and the canister. I super glued a few pieces of rubber band on the edge and that stopped. I hope once the slime builds up around the impeller magnet, it will quiet down a little. I'd give it a 5 on a 10 scale for noise. I like the fact that I can buy the empty Bio-bags and make them up myself. It's easy and that's what it's all about. If you want silent, you're going to have to shell out some bigger bucks.