Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Tex-Mex Grill and Backyard Barbacoa Cookbook
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on June 5, 2010
I'm a Robb Walsh fan from the Houston Press restaurant reviews - and this is my 3rd Robb Walsh book purchase through Amazon. I enjoy his writing style and his tastes apparently. I also like to grill and all these recipes are within my skillset. You know what I mean - you buy Julia Childs and you go "there ain't no #$%^ing way I can cook that". These recipes bring a fresh approach to your backyard grilling. Whether you are cooking a steak for you and the Mrs. or a tailgate for the masses at Reliant Stadium - this is going to help. If you never cook a thing - you will still enjoy the stories and the writing.
on May 14, 2010
Like all of Walsh's titles, The Tex-Mex Grill can be read as a history and cultural lesson just as easily as it can be read for its recipes. It's filled with both vintage and current photographs, and plenty of instructions, tips and sources for perfect preparation. Most important, The Tex-Mex Grill is Walsh's typical good blend of the common and the not-so-common (but not too haughty), and the drinks to go with it all. This cookbook also seems to be geared more toward the "healthier" side of Tex-Mex...more fish and veggies for the grill. Really looking forward to trying it all.
on July 27, 2010
It was eight years ago, back in the spring of 2002, when Robb Walsh's book "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook". I reviewed it favorably in this column and I've enjoyed going back to that back time after time since then. Walsh told the story of Texas barbecue so well in that book, through his words and the pictures that were gleaned from countless archives. That book was so great, I swore that you could lick the pages and taste brisket.

Walsh has been pretty busy in the interim; in addition to authoring cookbooks on Texas cuisine, he is also the food critic for the Houston Press and he's racked up a couple of James Beard Awards. And now he's released another great book, one that I already love almost as much as that other one.

"The Tex-Mex Grill and Backyard Barbacoa Cookbook" ($18.99, Broadway Books, 244 pp.) is on par with "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook" (and maybe even better). Just like its predecessor, this one tells its story in Walsh's folksy style. As you turn the pages you'll feel as if you're riding shotgun on Walsh's forays in south Texas and Mexico, seeking great food in out-of-the-way places. And as before, the pictures tell the story so well. This time Walsh was the lensman for about half the photos used and it's evident his photography skills are just about as well honed as his writng talents. I don't know what you'll enjoy more: reading the stories, flipping through the images or trying out the wide variety of recipes included in this book.
on July 11, 2010
I have to admit that I am a big fan of Robb Walsh. I own all of his cookbooks and have read most of his reviews and articles for the Houston Press. This is a very entertaining book, great recipes and plenty of arcane history. Just get it.
on October 29, 2010
I first saw this book at the library where I checked it out...in more ways than one! I was facinated by the loads of historical facts, stories, and pictures. After almost wearing out the pages, I knew that I had to have this for my own personal shelf. I also ordered extra copies for family members that love to cook and enjoy the history of foods. GREAT PURCHASE....
on January 5, 2013
We own several of Robb Walsh's cookbooks ... all are great, not only because of the wonderful recipes, but also because of the stories and commentaries in each book. We would highly recommend this Cookbook as well as the others!
on March 8, 2014
Very entertaining and delicious. The historical information is enlightening. Walsh is a great research writer and tells the human side - coupled with the "family recipes," I am taken back to younger days in Corpus. Great job!
on March 19, 2014
Great writing, great recipes, great stories. You will die laughing when you read about Walsh taking Meat 101 at Texas A&M.
on July 28, 2012
We have enjoyed reading and preparing the dishes in this book. Great history too. The pictures make your mouth water... then reading the history gets your heart.
on April 17, 2013
Great recipes good food
I love this book. I am Mexican American and love to compare recipes. This is a good one.