Customer Reviews: That Don't Make Me A Bad Guy
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 1, 2008
In my opinion, Toby has done the smart thing with his new album. He has decided to lean more to his sensitive side ("She Never Cried In Front Of Me," "God Love Her") and tone down his famous in-your-face attitude ("How Do You Like Me Now?")that some have tired of. This is not to say Toby still can't kick things up with such numbers as the title track and "Time That It Would Take." After Toby's dissapointing last single, "She's a Hottie" it's nice to see Toby back with a nice collection of songs sung with feeling and emotion minus the attitude.
on October 28, 2008
This is the best cd since White Trash with Money. It shows the full range that Toby can go, I saw the video today for God Love Her it is awesome it will be #1 in no time. I have been a fan for a long time but I am trully impressed with this cd
thanks toby
on June 12, 2016
Excellent album highly energetic and beautiful ballads.the best songs are the title track, god love her Creole woman. But if u enjoy Toby Keith you will enjoy this. This album ranks up there with shock n y'all.
on October 28, 2008
This is definitely one of the best CD's Toby has ever put out. There are some good ballads. They are very touching such as She Never Cried in Front of me, and Missing me some you. This is by far one of the best CD's Toby has put out and I am a huge fan of his. Keep the good stuff comin Toby it is working.
on September 16, 2012
As always Toby sends out a great album to us the fans and listeners. A nice combination of upbeat songs and ballads that all tell a story, that's true to the Toby style. This album was produced by Toby Keith in 2008; and, is certainly worth going back in time to add this to your Toby Keith collection.
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2008
Bobby Pinson is one of the most respected songwriters in Nashville, and deservedly so. Though he's known for crafting two of the most annoying songs of recent times (Sugarland's "All I Want to Do" and Keith's "She's a Hottie"), anyone who's listened to Pinson's own albums, or followed his songwriting career, knows that he is a masterful songwriter, full of nuance and a rugged grace. So it's telling, then, that Pinson co-wrote (with Keith) eight of the eleven songs here.

Not to say that Keith isn't a solid songwriter himself; of course he is. It's just that, lately, he's become too enamored with selling himself as a roughneck bad boy. Perhaps he is (there's too much arrogance in a lot of his stuff to be COMPLETELY fraudulent), but those of us who've followed his career miss the singer/songwriter of yore. It appears that it took another singer/songwriter (Pinson, filling in for Scotty Emerick, who is conspicuously absent here) to bring Keith back around.

His attitude is present here, most noticeably in "Time That It Would Take" and "You Already Love Me" (neither track a complete throwaway; the only cringe-inducing number here is "I Got It For You Girl," with "Cabo San Lucas" running a close second). But elsewhere, Keith is surprisingly tender and vulnerable--"Hurt a Lot Worse When You Go" is a stunner, and the first single, "She Never Cried in Front of Me," is a perfect example of Pinson's nuanced writing and Keith's subdued wit (often at his own expense). The title track is a good ol' number, reminiscent of "As Good As I Once Was." "God Love Her" is the story of a girl "baptized in dirty water," a little rocker that shows Keith in fine form. He shows impressive vocal restraint on the bluesy "Missing Me Some You," a song flawed only by its shallow hook (as a songwriter myself, I view the phrase "missing me some you"--especially as it is sung in this song--as a filler line, to be replaced later; apparently, Keith got lazy and decided to just go with it). "Lost You Anyway" is another powerful ballad, balanced out by "Creole Woman," another rockin' number kept afloat thanks to above-par writing and musicianship.

THAT DON'T MAKE ME A BAD GUY is definitely Keith's best overall album in a long time (since, say, HONKY TONK UNIVERSITY). He's grown as a producer, and has apparently learned to restrain the attitude somewhat (even to the extent of using it against himself, as he does on "She Never Cried in Front of Me"). While it's not a perfect record, it's proof--to those Keith fans who've appeared late in the game--that Toby Keith is a fine singer/songwriter, with a powerful voice that can convey an array of emotions (not just redneck pride). It certainly begs the question of where his next record will go: Is BAD GUY a bump in the road, or a promise of future craftsmanship? We can only hope for the latter.
on February 2, 2014
Most of That don't ...met my expectations. I bought it to use Cabo San Lucas with my linedance class (teaching linedance), but I am sure that many other tracks will be useful for this purpose as well. Nice to listen to if nothing else.
on November 20, 2008
I'm sorry Toby, but this isn't good at all. You're moving away from country with this album. There are 2 or 3 songs that is good, but the impression I sit with after listening's a weak cd.
It starts out good with the title track, after that it's kind of boring, until the song "You Already Love Me" and "Cabo San Lucas", these two are good. So, all in all...too much pop and too little country.
on March 12, 2016
I have been a fan of Toby Keith ever since he started. I bought this when it first came out in 2008. It has the hit God Love Her which is probably my favorite song on the cd. She Never Cried In Front Of Me was anothre hit. Missing Me Missing You,Creole Woman and You Already Love Me are also highlights. I really like every song on this. This is a good cd.
on December 10, 2008
Not being the biggest country music person myself, I hear many great things on this CD. All of these songs retain a true country feel but add in an impacting rock vibe. The ballads like "I Got it for you Girl" and "She Never Cried for me" blow me away. If you are a country fan and you want to convert a Rock person, have them buy this CD.

1. That Don't Make Me A Bad Guy: Classic Toby song that gets the country people up and dancing.

2. Creole Woman: Now he starts that country rock going with driving force Toby Keith is known for.

3. God I Love Her: Great lyrics, makes you want to roll down the windows and pump up the volume to 10! If you haven't seen the video, you don't need too. Close your eyes and you can see it...(not while you are driving please).

4. Lost You Anyway: Sitting at the bar nursing a beer thinking about the one that got away. Toby's delivery and the heavy under-tones of driving guitar really make this a great song.

5. Missing Me Some You: I love the blues feel to this song. The only thing missing is Eric Clapton playing the guitar solo on it.

6. Hurts A Lot Worse When You Go: Short and sweet.. This is a great song.. I sing this one in the shower! :-)

7. Time That It Would Take: Attention all truck drivers.. Put the pedal to the metal and get hauling...

8. You Already Love Me: Great lyrics once again.. I would love to pick up the guitar and play this one on the front porch, drinking some sweet tea. Wait.. I don't have a front porch.

9. She Never Cried Infront Of Me: Too many good things to say about this song.. The overall feeling that he puts into it is amazing. I really love the skater band vibe that is added into the song while it retains the Tobyness...

10. Cabo San Lucas: Was never really into the country songs about hanging around by the beach, but this one works. I just hope he isn't there skipping out on child support.

11. Got It For You Girl: Again, bringing back the skater band feel.. I just wish it wasn't the last track on the CD. Take out the steel guitar and you could hear this on any rock station covered by Nickel Back or similar.