Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

That Was The Year That Was
Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 23, 2001
I first listened to the LP version of this recording when I was a high school student, in 1965 and loved it. I was immediately impressed with Tom Lehrer's ability to demistify the current events of that era, with a unique blend of wit, humor, and music. Every few years, I would buy it again, on cassette and finally on CD last year. Three and a half decades later, and firmly entrenched in middle age, I am impressed with it all over again. Lehrer's social commentaries are timeless.
on December 5, 2012
Tom Lehrer is an equal opportunity derider of everything anyone might ever have held holy. He picks on everyone at some point and it is all astoundingly funny. Politics and religion, various etnicities or races, everyone gets hit. My personal favorites are "Polution", "Who's Next" and "The Vatican Rag". My kids ask me to play this all the time but we are careful who we share it with. Know your friends before you play it for them. For the lighthearted this is a terrificly funny listen. If you're straight-laced though, you might want to play a few on you-tube before you buy.
on April 19, 2013
I ordered this CD because I had an LP at one time but no record player any more. I go way back to the fifties when I was introduced to Tom Lehrer and his first, I believe, recording which was a small LP played at 33 1/3 speed but it was not much bigger than a 78. I remember one song, Be Prepared, but forget some of the others. In the office we were all huge fans and when I played TWTYTW again a couple of weeks ago, I was struck by how topical some of the songs are to the events happening today. A great sense of humour, a wonderful trait.
on December 3, 2016
I bought the vinyl copy of this back in the 70's and played it until it melted. ;-) Now I have bought the CD version of this and a few more of Tom's CDs and a DVD, weird. This is funny stuff, even forty years later.
on September 3, 2016
i loved this album when i fist listened to it in the '60s. It is still good, but has not withstood the test of time -- it was written for the folks of that era, not today's. Let's face it: the Viet Nam war is over.
Don.
on March 26, 2017
Entertaining!
on March 22, 2017
Tom Lehrer sounds take me back to my college years. He is irreverent- but takes me back many years.
on November 28, 2012
First heard this recording (LP Vinyl Record) in 1980's - loved and laughed with it then. WE decided to get a copy of a CD (newest media) and found the content as current today as it was when we first heard it over 20 years ago!! Thankfully AMAZON had copies which we could get at a reasonable cost and shipping methods which allowed us to receive quickly.

However, do not get a copy of this recording if you have no sense of humor - this calls for an open mind and vivid imagination!!
on September 5, 2015
My, my...place todays events in place of his and he becomes our protest artist. Loved every "song" ..grew up from a young age understanding exactly what he was really saying. I am a "duck & cover" generation.
on April 17, 2016
Tom Lehrer's third and final album, containing Smut, Pollution and The Vatican Rag. His is some of the best, funniest music ever written.