Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 26, 2013
I received this book as a gift, and my copy has a few fairly major issues. It skips from page 160 to 178, and pages 178 through 192 are also included twice. The 'Sauces and Spreads' section is also mislabeled as 'Snacks' in the recipe index. I was really excited about this book, but I am very disappointed in the quality so far. I am hoping to have a better opinion once this is corrected as I have really enjoyed Practical Paleo.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2015
We're happy with the recipes and have a few that we really like (as you can see from the stickies on the pages). However, I'm highly disappointed in the physical quality of the cook book binding. The binding has completely fallen apart which makes using the book difficult. If the publisher is online, I'd be happy to return this for a new copy with a binding that's intact and won't fall apart on me!
review image
22 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 22, 2014
I've made several recipes from this book (I have it on the Kindle Fire and it works well there) and they've all turned out well. I'd say I'm an intermediate cook--not clueless but not an expert by any means. I tend to just make things up as I go along rather than using recipes but since I'm trying to keep meals interesting for myself I'm currently using more recipes so that I can make healthy foods that are different from my usual basics. These recipes are interesting without being too complicated or advanced, and while they do tend to use "special" ingredients there are really only a handful of unusual things that get used repeatedly so that it makes sense to stock up on them. I bought the coconut aminos, coconut flour and Red Boat fish sauce, which were the only things I don't normally buy, and I've found them very useful.

I recommend this book for if you have the original 21DSD book and you're looking for more variety OR for if you want to do the 21DSD and don't care to read about the science and nutrition behind it since the basics are covered in here. (The author makes a good point, however, that if you're going to have questions about the hows and whys of the program you should really get the first book.)
on February 14, 2014
This is a different version of the 21-Day Detox Diet I was on. I just assumed they were essentially the same. Her version is ridiculously difficult. Her high fat recipes may detox you from carbs but your cholesterol & triglycerides must rocket up into the stratosphere.
33 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 19, 2016
To be completely honest, I cannot say this isn't a good book--depending on the diet you're following. For Paleo, it's great. For those wanting to ditch sugar, again, it's the way to go. For those like me who are following a ketogenic plan, it's not what I hoped it would be. She has excellent recipes and the photography is beautiful. It's just the addition of bananas, oats, and suchlike that make this a poor purchase for me. So again, for Paleo and diabetics, I'd say it's a good buy (except, again, the bananas for diabetics--nope!). Overall it's a well written, helpful, informative cookbook with recipes that sound delicious. I can, and have, modified one or two of them, but it's not worth the effort if I have to rewrite the book.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2014
As a type 1 diabetic, I didn't think that I needed to do a sugar detox, but I was very surprised at how much sugar/carbs I end up eating in a day. Thank the stars for this amazing book with its easy-to-follow recipes that works as a companion (amazing as a stand alone too!) to the 21 Day Sugar Detox book.

Imagine sumptuous, savoury, mouth-watering pictures of food you want to eat through the page. All the pictures are vibrant, showcasing how simple and easy the recipes are to make.

The coffee and cocoa rubbed ribs (on page 100) inspire divinity in your mouth, with optional BBQ sauce that's detox-friendly. (Have you ever tried to find commercial BBQ sauce that has no sugar in it? Yeah, right.)

Beef and bacon cottage pie (on page 82) will be your undoing (*especially if you can't do nightshades) and is reminiscent of shepherd's pie with a gourmet twist of bacon.

*as for nightshades, the book is laid out much like Diane's other book, Practical Paleo, and has easy to understand guides to help you navigate your way through the levels of the detox and/or specific food allergies.

Many people think that you need to 'go on a diet' to lose weight, and in doing so, usually that means tons of restrictions, but the recipes in this book help you reset your body and metabolism, without feeling like you have to starve yourself.

And lest you fear restrictions, (or end up bingeing because your willpower crumbles like nutty cinnamon crumb cake (page 182), there's quite a lovely non-sweet treat section that features some gems like banana-nut cake mini donuts, and sun butter truffles.

What I love most about it is the meal planning sections. You can take the quiz and pick which level (1,2, or 3) you should follow, and there's a 3 week meal plan for each level, including modifications for food allergies/autoimmunity, or if you're an athlete. It's filled with handy tips and a very handy YES/NO food list.

A huge thank-you to Diane and her crew who worked so hard to put this together. I can't wait to start my second detox tomorrow!
on January 26, 2014
I've been gluten free due to an allergy for several years now and many friends have gotten me gluten free cookbooks with the absolute best intentions and warmth in their hearts. However, the other thing my doctor told me to get off of was sugar - and gluten free cookbooks are often loaded with (2/3 or more) recipes of how to replace cakes, cookies, and breads. Now that I have been eating less sugar and more veggies, good protein, and whole (gluten free) grains, I feel great. But I couldn't find any cookbook anywhere that gave me easy recipes that also worked for those times were you are on dinner solo. Most healthy cookbooks seemed to involve eighteen ingredients, six of them available at specialty stores not in my neighborhood, three of them used one teaspoon of things only available in pints with fast expiration dates, and the others were out of my price range.
Hello you sugar detox cookbook. I can look up easy main dishes/meats or make a simple soup or flip through tasty looking side dishes. If you cook at all most things will be in your kitchen and you'll stop by the store on the way home for just a fresh piece of fish or something. All recipes are fairly easy to prepare (and often quick - 1/2 hour), easy to halve for the single meals, clear substitutions for allergies, tips on where to find some less used ingredients (but then those ingredients are used several times, not just once in the cookbook - like you might have to buy coconut oil but then it is used in lots of the recipes). I wish I could describe more just how much I love this cookbook - but I've found that I can cook almost anything in it, rather than having just a few recipes I can use like most cookbooks. I like to just flip to a new side dish and try it out. You aren't stuck with things that are so odd you don't know what else to put with them. I'm actually not on the 21 day detox, I just like more healthy meals in my diet and it works great for that. It has things from Coconut Basil Halibut with Spinach to Squash Mash to Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries. Mmm mmm. Even tells you how to make your own coconut milk if you are trying to be more organic. It's actually easy. I like the kitchen again!
0Comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2016
Ok, now we've only been using this cookbook for a few days, so take my opinion with a grain of salt of you wish. We bought the cookbook with the intention of doing/completing the 21-day sugar detox. We are just using the meal plan for Level 1 that is in the beginning of the book (which I love that this book provides, because otherwise I find myself getting lost in recipes... Don't have to even think about what's for dinner... I already know!) So far, the recipes taste delicious. Out of our comfort zone a bit, but generally easy to make... With a few exceptions: first of all, if you are someone on the go a lot, or don't have a ton of time to make dinner and prep breakfast every night, these recipes will be challenging. Maybe it's because I'm more or less a kitchen beginner, but the prep time is generally much longer for me than she says in the book. Also, a lot of the recipes call for special homemade sauces, which taste fine, but if you don't have them prepped in advance, plan to spend at least an extra 20-30 minutes making dinner for most of them. (I'm trying to make the 'no-honey mustard pecan crusted salmon' tonight, and am finding myself having to wait almost a full hour for the sauce to be completed before I can finish cooking dinner.) We did a special grocery shop this week and got only what we would need for this week's recipes, so we don't have extra junk lying around, but it took me about 2 hours just planning our grocery list. Wish this book included that along with all the other resources. Also, just a non-food related side note, but we've only been using this book for 3 days and there are pages that are already starting to fall out. A bit of a bummer for a book we paid over $20 for!! Overall, I like the recipes, but I am disappointed with this book's format and the time it takes to make a lot of the dishes. If you're like me, you don't have 1+ hours every single night just to make dinner, much less eat it and clean up. If I had to buy this book again, I would probably skip it in lieu of quicker, more time efficient healthy recipes.
VINE VOICEon February 17, 2014
About a year ago I switched to a Primal/Paleo lifestyle and lately I’ve discovered that too many Paleo indulgences have stalled my weight loss and kept me craving sweets. Even Primal/Paleo-approved indulgences have sugars, be they in the form of honey, coconut sugar or maple syrup…and I was consuming too much of them.

Enter Diane Sanfilippo’s books: The 21-Day Sugar Detox and The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook were sent to me for honest reviews. Here’s my take on the cookbook.

At first I was reluctant to change my way of eating, but I was stalled in my weight loss efforts. Perhaps it was due to hormone imbalance, a bugaboo that affects women of a certain age. Whatever, I needed to make some changes, Item 1: Read and follow Diane’s advice.

Section 1 is an overview of the book that explains what the sugar detox is about (explained at length in Book One: The Sugar Detox), why you should consider it. (Read the background science on why we crave sugar and what it does to our bodies and you’ll never think of it as your friend again.) Following that the recipes and meal plans are discussed (more detail in the Sugar Detox—here it’s more for review). Recipes are categorized into Main Dishes; Soups, Salads, & Sides; Snacks; Not-Sweet Treats; Sauces & Spreads; and Kitchen Basics. A brief couple of pages lists some of the common ingredients used in the book (such as almond butter, flour and meal, coconut butter, apple cider vinegar to name a few. Ms. Sanfilippo explains what each ingredient is, why use it and how much to use.

A self-quiz guides the reader on which of three levels to follow and gives a meal plan for each. Based on my quiz results, I determined that Level 2 was suitable for me and have been omitting the “no” foods for that level.

Each level offers modifications to fit individual needs.

A typical breakfast might include Banana Vanilla Bean n’oatmeal (made with chia seeds and coconut milk) or the Apple Ginger Green Smoothie (apples, coconut milk, spinach, avocado and minced fresh ginger). I particularly like the Pumpkin Spice Smoothie with coconut milk, banana and grass-fed whey powder.

Whether you’re having Worth the Wait Crustless Quiche (p. 54) or something more substantial such as Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo (p. 70) or Pot Roast with Root Veggies and Mushrooms (p. 92), you will be amazed at the superb blending of flavors in each. As a lover of creamy, flavorful soups, I’m looking forward to trying the Carrot-Ginger Soup (p. 126). Snacks include Smoky Lime Nut Mix (p. 171) and Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips (p. 172), a spicy and delicious alternative to those overpriced ones in most natural food stores. Apple Chai Spice Scones in the Not-Sweet Treats section (p. 180) offer enough flavor in the spicy combination that the sugar won’t be missed. (2 diced medium apples offer a bit of sweetness). Another not-to-be-missed treat is the Sunbutter Truffles (p. 192). One of my favorites is the Lemon Ginger Chicken on page 72. At first I was skeptical that a dish this simple could be so flavorful, but it’s that and more. I didn’t have regular sesame oil on hand so drizzled just a bit of toasted sesame oil over the dish and it zinged with flavor. A tossed green salad and a side of grilled asparagus completed this totally satisfying meal. But don’t stop here. There are more than ninety recipes including spice blends easily adaptable to a gluten-free, paleo or primal lifestyle.

Use the easy-to-follow meal plans and more than 90 simple recipes in this book to end your sugar addiction in just three weeks. The three-level program makes it simple regardless of which level you’re on or whether you're starting from scratch or from a gluten-free, grain-free, and/or Paleo/primal lifestyle. Flexibility is no problem. You can either follow one of the meal plans or just the Yes/No foods (again, explained in detail in book one).

Author Sanfilippo’s book also includes a shopping list, and detailed meal plans. Checklists detail what you need to do days before beginning the 21-Day Detox so it’s almost like having your own personal coach.

All the recipes are easy to find, and a helpful index lists them in the back of the book. A lovely color picture enhances each recipe so the reader has an idea of how the finished product should look.

The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook is a beautiful and practical feast for the senses, filled with fact-based science and delicious recipes to help you on your journey to better health.

Bravo Ms. Sanfilippo.
Diane Sanfilippo has literally come out of nowhere over the past couple of years to become one of the leading voices in the Paleo/real food/low-carb movement--and she's making waves into changing mainstream thinking on health in general. After establishing herself solidly as a respected authority on nutrition through her personal one-on-one client counseling, group seminars around the country, and her popular "Balanced Bites" blog and podcast, she went on to pen what I believe was one of the best health books I've ever read in 2012 called Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle. That book quickly became a New York Times bestseller--where it has perennially stayed ever since!

But she wasn't finished sharing her knowledge and wisdom yet. In October 2013, Diane came out with the paper version of her wildly popular e-book called The 21-Day Sugar Detox where she offered up strategies for dealing with that nagging sweet tooth that plagues so many people. Not surprisingly, that book has gone on to become a New York Times bestseller as well! While there were a few recipes in that book, most of that book was dedicated to explaining more about the importance of coming off of sugar for the sake of your health. If you're already on board with that message, then THE 21-DAY SUGAR DETOX COOKBOOK is the book for YOU!

Containing over 100 delicious and nutritious recipes designed specifically for coming off of your addiction to sugar, Diane has brought her unique savvy for developing recipes people will actually want to eat that match up with her basic dietary philosophy. You get a quick recap of what that philosophy is at the beginning of this book. But then Diane dives head first into the cooking part of this cookbook--things like Pizza Frittata, Asian Ginger Flank Steak, Moroccan Cauli-Rice Pilaf, Pesto Deviled Eggs, Banana Nut Cake Mini Donuts, vegetable oil-free salad dressings, high fructose corn syrup-free ketchup, soybean oil-free mayonnaise, a spice guide, and more!

Plus, you'll get info on common food allergies, recommended products and brands of foods to purchase from the best companies, meal math...whew! You get a hearty wallop of info and encouragement to really ditch the sugar for good this time around. As someone who gave up sugar a decade ago, I KNOW you can do this. Getting this book, sure to become a New York Times bestseller as well, will get you well on your way to achieving that goal. GO GET 'EM!