Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 31, 2011
I am not new to juicing, or to Blueprint Cleanse so I sort of knew what I was getting in ordering this book. However, a few aspects were quite disappointing to me. Dividing the book into roughly three sections:
The first third of the book (or so) is all good information, but highly repetitive and if you are health savvy enough to be attempting a juice cleanse, it is probably all repeat information to you. Really, an entire page on bisphenol-A?? Contaminants in drinking water? The importance of eating organic produce etc? Honestly, it felt like journalistic filler that could have been popped into any random magazine or newspaper article and unless you've been living under a rock for the past few years, it's nothing new or proprietary to cleansing or juicing. A little background is fine but it is too big a chunk of the text to be relevant to the topic advertised.

The middle third of the book is probably the section that ended up being most useful to me. It gave an overview of cleansing, tools etc needed, detox symptoms, what is normal and what's not, benefits, methods, etc. There are a couple charts and quizzes to assess yourself in various areas.

The last third of the book is recipes. This was a major disappointment to me. Some of the dressings and salads are okay but not worth the price of this book as a raw vegan cookbook. The juice recipes, however, are TERRIBLE. They are almost entirely comprised of fruit and rice milk beverages. I call them beverages because that's not fresh juice- Drinking fruit and processed rice milk is NOT A JUICE CLEANSE. There are exactly three 'green' juice recipes and they ALL contain fruit. Juice cleansing is amazing, but a juice cleanse following these recipes will NOT be. I bought this book almost solely for the cashew milk recipe and, having had Blueprint Cleanse cashew milk, I knew it lacked the cinnamon and simply added it back in. I've done the actual Blueprint Cleanse and it in no way resembles the juice regimen outlined in this book. To be honest, most of the fruit juices looked gross to me and I would also say most contained rice milk. A real cleanse should consist mostly to nearly entirely of the green juice. I do have a Norwalk and I use it regularly, so it wasn't hard to figure out the 'real' recipes for a cleanse like this. my approximation of the green juice would be:

a third to one half a bunch of kale
one small head of (dark green!) romaine or half a large head
handful or two of spinach leaves
dense handful of parsley
one bunch of celery
two cucumbers
3 lemons, peeled
5 apples, fuji are great for juicing (fewer if you don't mind the taste of the green juice)
one piece of peeled fresh ginger (I don't add this because I'm not a fan)

This makes 2-3 mason jars or about 1.5-2 days' worth if you are cleansing, and occasionally drinking another juice or two. You'd probably want more if you are only drinking the green juice. NOTHING like this recipe appears in the book. I guess the purchase was worth it for the cashew milk recipe, which is very good (with added cinnamon). I have been drinking one quart jar of green juice daily, with small glasses of other fresh juices like apple-carrot-orange (also nothing like this in this book, more of a Gerson recipe with added orange) and pineapple-apple-mint, a Blueprint favorite of mine that is SO EASY to make but again does not appear in any form in this book. Perhaps because pineapple is hard to juice in a centrifugal juicer, I don't know. I plan to branch out a bit more into beet juices and other vegetable juices but again this book was no help in that regard. There were next to no vegetable juice recipes included, and those are the ones with the major health benefits. While there is no added sugar in the fruit juices, they DO contain a good amount of sugar and if that is all you are consuming, you are not reaping the same health benefits. Maybe at some point they will write a book with better quality of information but unless you have other sources for the recipes or you know how to make your own green juices, this book is minimally helpful in following through on a cleanse.
22 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2011
I'd heard about cleansing and, for a long time, I have wanted to try a cleanse of some sort. Unfortunately, I'd only heard of the so-called "Master Cleanse"...the one with maple syrup and lemon. I'm sorry, the idea of basically starving yourself did not appeal to me. Then I heard about the Blueprint Cleanse. I looked up their site on line and was disappointed to see that 3 days of juice would cost $200. I'm a stay-at-home dad and money is a little tight so a $200 grocery bill for three days was not do-able. Then, low and behold, I found this book which basically gives you recipes and guidance to do a three-day juice cleanse!
There are many great things about this book aside from the reasonable price tag. First, they give a thorough explanation of why a juice cleanse might be better for you than other cleanses. They explain about the nutrients contained in the juice ingredients and they give you fairly straight-forward (and mostly yummy) recipes to make your own juices.
The authors are also honest with you. They admit that you will be fantasizing about food during the cleanse. (At the end of day 1, I was craving a nice, juicy hamburger...or a slice of pizza...or just about anything to chew!) They also give a list of some of the negative side-effects you may feel as toxins leave your body.
I have only three minor complaints in this book. First, there is a lot of pseudo-science. Really, there is little experimental data to show that expunging toxins via fasting really is healthful; there is mostly anecdotal evidence. My second complaint is that they assume you can pony up big bucks for a top of the line juicer. While they say you can use a $200-$300 juicer (which is still a bit pricey for most people), they really want you to buy a $2400 Norwalk juicer. Hey, I really want to buy one too, but I have a car payment to make. They acknowledge that less expensive juicers will have lower juice yields, but they provide no suggestions for how to make up for that. Common sense tells me to just throw another stalk of kale in the juicer, but is that okay? They don't let you know. My final complaint is that they want you to buy fresh, organic berries and other fruits anytime you want to do the cleanse. If you like to buy food in season at the farmers' market, this is just not possible. I ended up buying lots of frozen berries as I did my first cleanse in January...not an ideal time for fresh, organic fruit.
The bottom line is that this is a good book if you are interested in doing a cleanse but not willing to pony up $200. The juices are mostly palatable and the book is upbeat and easy to read.
on February 24, 2011
I absolutely love this book and the cleanse program. I am a full time employee and grad student with little time for complicated diet programs, so I was thrilled to learn about The 3-Day Cleanse. I'm currently on day three of transitioning back to solid food. I feel better than I've felt in a really long time. I decided to do this cleanse for two reasons: I recently realized that I'd lost all interest in food. I was still eating, but I never craved anything...and this is weird for me. Everything just seemed boring and unappealing. Also, I've been trying to quit smoking for four years, and nothing has worked. Though not a heavy smoker (less than a pack a day), the difficulty of quitting was really bringing me down. Doing this cleanse was the first thing to ever work.

The first thing I loved about this book is that the program offers three levels of cleanse (think beginner, intermediate, advanced) and a quiz to determine which level is right for you. After taking the quiz included in the book, I decided to try Cleanse Level 2. I grew up eating tons of leafy green veggies, so even though I've strayed in the past few years, I knew I could handle a cleanse which included more green juices. Though my quiz suggested I try level 3, because of my last few years of bad habits, I decided that might be too hardcore for a first time cleanser like myself. I really enjoyed all of the juices (fruit and green.)As long as I went no more than 2 hours without a juice, I never felt hungry. And the nut milk at the end of the day is a delicious treat! I also appreciated the fact that I was able to find all of the ingredients needed for the juices and nut milks at my regular grocery story (which has an organic/natural foods section).

Though the book recommends fancy, expensive juicers and blenders, I used a juicer and blender purchased for about $75 total, and they worked just fine.

I love the meal recipes included for building up to the cleanse and transitioning back to solid foods after the cleanse. Each recipe is numerically coded to let you know how far before or after the cleanse the meal should be eaten. It's been three days since my cleanse, so I'm now eating level three meals. I've enjoyed all of the food immensely, and have been pleased that there's really no requirement to add odd and expensive supplements (like some cleanses I've researched) to your diet. If your grocery store has a health food section, or you have something like a Whole Foods in your neighborhood, you can find everything you need quite easily and at an affordable price. Also, if you get tired of the recipes, there are suggested "ways of eating" to help you continue your new healthy habits.

Finally, the results: From the very first day of my cleanse I started to notice my complexion looked amazing. Some of the tiny lines around my eyes have even disappeared. Even on that first day, I never once craved a cigarette (no crankiness either). Tomorrow it will be a full week since my last cigarette. I'm suddenly drinking water instead of soda on a regular basis (was shamefully not much of a water drinker before), and I've replaced my quad-shot lattes with once cup of green tea and had no discernible side effects. I'm sleeping better, I don't feel dead at the end of the work day, and yes! I am enjoying food again. I've also noticed my tastes in food have changed...when I think of my next meal I crave crunch veggies. Oh, and in case you're wondering about the skinny jeans claim in the title, so far I've lost 6 lbs.
on June 1, 2013
Enlightening about how the body digest food. I wish there had been more details about it and also more on what foods work well together and which ones don't. I now don't eat fruit with my meals but as a snack or breakfast only. The rest of it went right over my head as I don't know much about carbs, starches, etc. I don't cook much and eat out a lot so the recipes were interesting to read but I will probably not ever use them.

I'm not a juicer type so I purchased the Blue cleanse on line and did a 3 day cleanse. I followed the books instructions and weaned myself off of food a few days prior to the arrival of my juice which I had delivered to my Job, put it in the fridge and took it home when I left work. I started the cleanse the next morning as the book said your juice was good for 6 days after delivery. I felt great, it was like doing a biblical juice fast but on good juice on steroids! In the past I would buy welches at grocery store and water it down half and half. With the 3 day cleanse I wasn't ever hungry AND out of juice for the day. I found that every 2 to 3 hours I would be hungry and drink a bottle. Then I'd be fine until the next hunger. I didn't have cravings because I had weaned myself off food like book suggest in details. I spaced juice out just like the book recommended and I continued with life of course no dinner engagements (why put your self in harms way) for a about a week while I pre-prep'd my systems for a change in food consumption and then post prep'd for my systems for reintroducing food consumption.

I'm 5'4 in my mid 40's and was 151 lbs pre cleanse, I dropped 9 lbs during these pre/post prep days (about 10) and have gained back about 4 or 5 after eating normal foods again so i got to maintain a loss of 4 to 5 lbs and I feel so much more cleaner on the inside. I also got a chair message as the book recommended! It was ooh sooo good!!! I will most likely do this 3 day cleanse again probably in 2 months when I get back from my alaskan cruise! I can't wait! It's best to clear your schedule or do it when schedule isn't as busy because then you can find time to cleanse the mind also with a good book while cleansing the body and giving it a rest! I chose the Bible and weigh down diet book to read 2 great books! These 2 books will help me maintain the weight loss! It was easy, enjoyable and feels great! I recommend it!
on August 5, 2010
If you are thinking of doing a cleanse or their BluePrint Cleanse, this is a good book to understand the science behind it. It totally makes sense and explains everything in simple terms...also comical sometimes. I followed their pre-cleanse/post-cleanse diet and decided to buy the drinks online for the actual juice cleanse. They do have all the recipes for the juices in the back but I found it easier to order because I didn't have time to make the juices and still go to work. The juice cleanse was not hard at all b/c I followed their pre-cleanse recipes (simply eating very clean prior to the cleanse). Throughout the cleanse, I did not have any cravings and was not hungry at all.

the recipes are so easy and incorporates lots of veggies. The best part of the whole thing is that I know how to easily incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my daily foods. I never have any cravings because the recipes are all so tasty. Plus, I will never buy dressing. There are so many great recipes on how to make your own. My husband loves that I did this cleanse and enjoys all the great foods I make now.
on April 24, 2013
The book is a fast read and simple to follow, but I have an extensive collection of detox books in my home library, so I gifted this to my sister. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a natural cleanse using this method, but research what detox is and coordinate with your healthcare professional to rule out any contraindications or other health concerns specific to your medical history.
on January 21, 2016
Love this book. I learned so much, found it very informative and helpful. Yes, buying there juice is expensive, yes, making the juices properly with their recipes and buying a juicer is expensive. But that is also what I expected. Organic produce and a good juicer cost a lot (thats why their juices do). Even if you do not end up doing a cleanse, there is so much to reap from reading this book.
on October 29, 2013
I have always wanted to do a cleanse- not because of all of the debatable 'gimmicky' results but to see what I would actually experience. This book offers the 'whys' along with recipes. I enjoyed making my own juices. First off, it is a lot more economical compared to the hundreds of dollars a cleanse can cost. Second, I felt like there was more ownership in the cleanse when I purchased the ingredients and made my own juices. Third, having the recipes allows you to make healthy drinks on your own for when you are not even in a cleanse...you do not need to cleanse to drink juice like this!
on August 6, 2014
Anyone who wants to try to the BluePrint Juice Cleanse, owns a juicer, and wants to put in a little extra work should buy this book. The BluePrint Juice Cleanse is super expensive. Around $300 for a 3 day cleanse. If you already own a juicer, you can use this book to make all the same juice recipes that come prepackaged in the cleanse, yourself for a lot cheaper.
on June 10, 2013
I wanted to buy the prepared juices for the Blue print 3 day cleanse but at $200 I couldn't do it! I have a juicer at home so I bought this book and off I went to Trader Joe's to get my organic fruits and veggies. I bought glass bottles and prepped my ingredients and started juicing. It was great! I was a little hungry the first day at around 4:00 PM so I ate an avocado. The book said half an avocado but in my defense it was a small one. I lost 5 Lbs. I no longer have cravings for Cheetos. Since the cleanse I have had juices everyday to replace one meal, usually breakfast or lunch.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse