Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 31, 2011
When my father developed dementia some years ago, I didn't know what to do at first. This book proved to be a big help for my family and me, and now I'd like to be of some small help to you.

Dementia doesn't strike out of the blue. It builds up over a period of years, and in the beginning there is an understandable tendency to consider a loved one's unusual behavior to be just another sign of aging. However, when Alzheimer's or other dementias are at play, sooner or later you may well find yourself in need of some help when trying to deal with your loved one's needs. Indeed, until you understand more about Alzheimer's you may not fully appreciate the struggles your loved one is dealing with. It is a very scary thing to gradually lose some of your important mental capabilities, and there is a resulting tendency among those with dementia to either act out or to withdraw from normal family communications.

Here's your chance. If you even suspect Alzheimer's or another dementia (they are not necessarily the same), I strongly recommend that you get this book and read it. It will help you to better:

1. understand what your loved one is going through.
2. deal with the behavioral issues associated with Alzheimer's.
3. find medical help.
4. find additional Alzheimer's and dementia information from a number of helpful organizations.
5. discover support groups.
6. save a lot of time (when you are a caregiver for someone with dementia, time is usually in very short supply--hence, the title of the book).
7. evaluate financial possibilities.
8. understand that you are most definitely not alone in your dealing with dementia's effects.

This book is written by experienced authorities in the field, and it is easy enough to read for those without medical backgrounds. It is the likely all-time best-seller in its field for a reason.
11 comment| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 24, 2017
I have worked in pastoral ministry for well over 35 years. I have been through multiple scenarios with friends and family. I have been a secondary caregiver and primary with my mom, both my in-laws, in ministry and with many of my friend's parents. I have experienced care-giving for issues from stroke to Alzheimer diagnosis, to brain damage from a fall. And my sister is a care administrator and has dealt with aging and healthcare for years. She first introduced me to many books when I first started visiting "nursing homes" many years ago. THIS book has been the most helpful along the way. It is useful as a study text and as a pragmatic aid for caregivers. One can read the entire thing, read only select passages, or a paragraph here and there. All are helpful. I have not seen or read anything more comprehensive or helpful. And as the book suggests, as a person with dementia ages and moves along the path of dementia, it is wise to re-read over and over again as the scenarios change. Every person is different, every scenario is different. I suppose that is a reason I should not be amazed at the one star reviews. Everybody is different. I just wish they would say what they found that was better. I would certainly read it!
on August 14, 2017
This book is hard to get through, primarily because there are sections describing the suffering of dementia from the patient's perspective. When you're already grieving this diagnosis, it feels even worse to read paragraphs upon paragraphs of terror and isolation, of course imagining your own loved one going through the same thing.

The sections on how to cope as a caregiver are dry but informative. A difficult truth about dementia is that you can't predict which symptoms will appear, so this book covers all of them. And it goes over some of the science behind the more frustrating symptoms, like when the patient is in total denial about their condition, which definitely helps the caregiver cope.

They say this book is the bible of caring for a loved one with dementia/Alzheimers. I wish it was easier to navigate but it's definitely the most helpful guide I've read so far.
on June 22, 2015
This is the "Bible" as pertains to Alzheimer's/dementia. I read this book as one in our family was experiencing the disease slowly (at first) in her later years. The family could not accept or admit this was happening for so long that I needed to learn for myself from real experts. The writing is perfect for conveying the whole story, with many ifs ands and buts that make each person's experience somewhat different. In addition to the technical aspects of the body and brain as one proceeds through this disease, the book is filled with actual experiences of caregivers, patients, and doctors to give a well-rounded idea of what we are all going through, including lots of ideas on what to do about it to make life more tolerable - as much as we can. A lot of what the book is saying is that we must accept what is happening, do all we can to alleviate suffering - physical and mental - for patient, family, and any other caregivers that might be involved. I've given this book to 2 others who are involved with Alzheimer's/dementia because I think it is a must for people to understand this and deal with it as they can.
on September 2, 2015
When I have a specific issue with mom, I turn to the index for quick solution. It is a very thick book that would be impossible for me to store all of the information. Keep it in my purse for quick reference. Great tool!
Along with this book, I have the alzsheimers association phone number stored for questions not answered in this book.
Dementia and your loved ones driving was addressed in this book. If they get to their car and drive off and get into accident, YOU are at fault and can be charged with neglect and face jail time and your loved ones money seized in a lawsuit.
That's when I decided to get my mom's car key (told her I had to have both keys to reprogram her defective airbags, which her car was not recalled), she did remember the airbag recall and gave me her key. That night I opened up electronic key and gutted it, even removed spare key from KEYFOB.
she tried to drive the other day, and something was wrong with her key. Busted!
My other recommendation, if your loved one still wants to drive, install a Zubie GPS tracker. Set up is less than 3 minutes, it plugs into on board diagnostic port. It notifies you after they have driven a 1/10th of a mile from their home.
To all of the caregivers out there, I pray for your peace. This is a horrible disease to deal with!
on April 28, 2015
i have read many books about aging parents and dementia. this is by far the best book written on the subject. i recommend it to everyone that is dealing with this disease. whether your loved one in just starting on this journey or they are at the end, reading this will help you. it helps you understand that their actions are not them. it's the disease. it helps you not take the things they say and do to you personally. it's still hard... but it helps me sort my feelings out. you can read the chapter that you are dealing with at the time and also read it cover to cover. i recommend you read it cover to cover first, then refer back to what you are dealing with at the time.
on November 13, 2016
This is an excellent resource for anyone who has a loved one with dementia whether in your home or in a facility. Not everything in the book will apply to a particular situation but there is so much insight to be gained into this terrible disease with lots of examples from the patient's perspective to help us understand and cope. I ordered extra copies for my siblings and plan to highlight sections that I find most helpful so I can easily re-read them when things aren't going well or I need more patience. The most important take-away is that it's not your loved one who is acting that way or saying those things on purpose, but it's the disease causing it all and your loved one is still there in many unexpected ways.
on April 30, 2016
This book held my wife, my mid-teens children, and me together through four very dark years when most of the local Alzheimer's facilities had applications for victims on waiting lists for over two years. Whenever I encounter a family who is trying to take care of a loved victim of any form of dementia in their home, I send them a copy of this book, which has been very appropriately updated a number of times since 1987
on July 12, 2017
Wonderful book to help understand dealing with Alzheimer's. My Dad suffers from it, and my Mom and I take care of him. She is elderly also, and it's been hard on her. This book helped her to be more patient. My brothers live out of town and don't have a clue. Now they both read it and had an ah-hah moment..... they get it when they come up and take turns for a few days here and there. They even remarked that they now saw signs years ago. A very sad disease, to say the least.
on January 28, 2018
An excellent guide for those who care for a loved one who has Alzheimer's or any other dementia. It's nice to be reminded that it's not their fault, it's just the progression of the disease. Very helpful. I use it constantly as a resource, and even bought one for a friend who is dealing with the same things.