Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 20, 2017
I absolutely love this book. It is broken down into easy to understand sections with straightforward information which is easy to understand. I have had good results after implementing some of the authors recommendations. The slow carb diet and cold showers are, in my experience, especially beneficial. The book is much larger than I anticipated, apparently, I ignored the page count when I placed my order. Don't think of this resource as a book that you read cover-to-cover. You can read it however you want but I have found it most useful as a reference book that I can consume topic-by-topic.
9 people found this helpful
on September 17, 2017
Love this book, gift it often.
I've lost significant weight on its protocol (went from 28%MBI to 16% in 10weeks)
It's improved my sex life - cannot speak more highly of kettlebell swings for this and below
Mass gains were meh but still good for the total gym time
sleep manipulation didn't work for me but know it has for others
helped a ton with injury recovery
10 people found this helpful
on April 26, 2018
At first the information seemed a little unorganized to me, as I was expecting more of a step-by-step guide, but after extracting all pieces that were valuable to me, I was able to set a solid regiment for myself.

Important side note about the slow card diet - listen to your body. Eating the amount of protein at the four meal a day frequency he recommended was always way too much for me if I was also having a small serving of beans and spinach or other veggies too (I'm 5'3 and 138 lb), so I wasn't losing weight until I reduced my intake to three meals a day with the equivalent of one egg of protein per meal. I'm also doing the recommended minimum amount of exercise he discusses, eating my meals slowly, following cheat day to a T, doing the PAGG and CQ supplements as recommended, and drinking more than enough water, so it really was just eating too much. Having a decent amount of hunger before a meal helps a lot.
7 people found this helpful
on June 24, 2017
Good book, lost a lot of weight quickly. I lost 4-5 lbs a week easy, had a ton more energy then ever before. Unfortunately I returned to my evil ways and gained it all back over a few months but I know that when I go back on this diet I will lose it quickly again.
17 people found this helpful
on July 21, 2013
At 425 pounds, I realized I had to do something drastic. A good friend of mine knew someone on the "slow-carb" diet that is outlined in this book, and he had lost 100 pounds in a year. I bought the book, thought about it a lot, wondered if I could do this long-term...and decided I could. Here I am, less than 1.5 years later, and I've lost almost 150 pounds. There's no special food to buy, no mandatory supplements, no added costs other than the book. There are tons of online resources to augment what's outlined in the chapters. I can't even begin to tell you how much this has changed and continues to change my life. I'm so greatful to Tim Ferriss and Amazon for providing this book.

UPDATE: After 2.5 years, I lost 250 pounds. While no plan/lifestyle change is right for everyone, this worked very well for me.
review image
298 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on October 2, 2016
Absolutely enjoyable read. Very inspiring with lots of potential action items. Love the Minimal Effective Dose theme. Am testing the slow carb diet, kettle bells, and ab workout among other things. Highly recommend.
10 people found this helpful
on December 3, 2012
I am overweight. No I am fat. To lose weight I have had a gastric by-pass and tried many different routines. The 4 hour body is not a miracle cure, it is not a panacea. It is highly motivating and I find that following a few of its principles during my forget it I am going to eat like a horse periods I can reduce the damage I do to my weight loss.

I think there are a couple of key elements that will make this book better:

1) Never forget the 20/80 rule. For those of us who are not trying to get under 2% body fat but are trying to get down to a manageable weight and who have the will power of a famished dog looking a bowl of bacon it is our key to success. When I fall off the health nut wagon I can still eat a high protein breakfast, avoid carbs especially in the mornings, and still maintain a stable weight. Little or no change during bad boy times is a good change for those of us who have played with diets a lot.

2) The day off is a blessing but for those in my category it is often stretched too easily so I refer you to number 1. If you follow the 20% rules even on cheat days or weeks [just being honest here] then you minimize the overall damage.

3) The little tricks that yield big results are my starting and focal points in the book. I read the entire book but many chapters don't currently pertain to my situation and probably never will. Many of them however are perfect for people like me. Get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the max effort and then, as you feel healthier add to it.

Since I have been working with this diet when I am faithful my weight loss and body change is pretty impressive averaging 4-6 lbs per week and a nice reduction in waist and butt inches with a slight increase in arm and thigh inches. During 3 months of non-adherence aside from protein breakfasts I gained back only 5 of the 25 lbs I had lost (1 month on and 3 months off and still down 20lbs). This also coincided with a return to a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

Every few months I get my mojo back and want to start losing weight again (I love cold weather it actually motivates me) and when that happens I can easily kick in more aspects of the four hour body to take advantage and lose a little more.

So don't be discouraged by his discussion of getting the last couple of % off. If you really analyze the 20/80 rules and apply his book accordingly it is a tome of encouragement to us less than motivated, short cut seeking, beautiful on the inside people too.

Read the book, don't put yourself in a category you don't fit. If you are overweight like me focus on the weight loss and body sculpting and just read the other parts to laugh at what a nut case the author is. There is so much encouragement to get the most from the least and that is the gold mined from this book. The rest may be very useful and good advice but for most of us the focus on the core message is what is truly revolutionary from what we have been taught. More is not better, most return on investment is.

One last comment. The kettlebell swing is a killer. He says 10-15 minutes twice a week, I applied the 20% rule my first time and got in about 3 minutes and two days on disability as my muscles recovered. I am looking forward to building up to a better workout but don't let the light weight fool you when you first start.
30 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on November 23, 2017
TLDR: I'm 37. After following the diet, total cholesterol 165, triglycerides 386. Not on diet: Cholesterol 286, Triglycerides 1800. The diet works and it's super simple.

A friend of mine recommended this book after being on the diet. I was really skeptical about the claims in the book. I've got metabolic syndrome and I've been on statins for a long time. I'm by no means generally super fat or unhealthy in terms of diet or weight: 5'11 200 lbs and I don't eat a lot of junk. A large part of this is genetics.

I read the chapters of the book focused on the diet and honestly I rolled my eyes and said things like "no way" but I decided to give it a shot. I followed an even more simplified form of the book because I have 2 kids, my wife and I work fulltime and I'm always tired and have no time. I went to costco and bought 2 types of canned beans, stew meat, and frozen costco vegetables. I slow cooked the stew meat by literraly unloading the package into the slow cooker and salting it and letting it cook for 5 hours once a week. I put it in tupperware to keep for the week. For a meal I'd open a can of beans (used about half a can per-meal), pour out some frozen vegetables and microwave them for 3 minutes, then combine it all and heat for another minute. I'd have a meal ready in about 5 minutes. For breakfast I'd eat the same thing except I'd eat about half as much meat and add about 4 eggs. I used salt or sriracha chili paste for flavor.

I ate that 6 days a week, 3 times a day, and on Saturday I'd eat like an absolute pig. After 6 weeks I had my blood tested again and the results are better than when I was on statins. I also just generally felt better. I also lost like 15 pounds or so but that wasn't really my focus.

So the claims in the book about the effects on cholesterol are completely true as crazy as it sounds. Highly recommend this.
9 people found this helpful
on March 26, 2018
This book has changed my life. After a decade of steady weight gain and many failed diets and fads, this book has succeeded. I have lost weight and inches without feeling like I am deprived. My well being has improved. My relationship with food and sugar has become much healthier.
3 people found this helpful
on September 8, 2017
Have already begun starting some of his great ideas about physiology and diet, fascinated by Ferriss as a human guinea pig for my benefit as well as his. What an energetic guy, lots of books, videos, and a podcast as well. I am hooked!
2 people found this helpful