Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 23, 2012
Isn't it odd that notorious spammer Tim Ferris has hundreds of 5 star reviews on the day of release? Especially when the book is 600 pages of wandering ill conceived ideas that have very little to do about cooking. I would only advise this book for someone with severe attention deficit disorder who isn't interested in learning anything and has some kind of impacted bowel disease and needs something to pass time.
77 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 1, 2016
I'm sure it a good book , but ... So large though . Not my fit .. So loaded with info , overwhelming .. Too much ... I keep it simple ...
Unfortunately , it just was not what I was looking for , in fact I'm looking for a new home for it ? Anybody want it ? I'll send it to you , free .. Get in touch with me via email , hope it's listed
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2012
Tim Ferriss is a snake oil salesman plain and simple. 40 5 star reviews on the first day of release? What a crock. Save your money, a 650 deadlift? In what oz? Every couple of years this guy pops up with his stupid experiments.
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 20, 2012
Or How to become somewhat able in the kitchen/dining room in 672 convoluted steps, with digressions into the wilderness of rural America to hunt squirrel. really? How to host a dinner party with sample conversation starters? I acknowledge that I am not the target audience here and I did not know who Timothy Ferriss was when I stumbled across the title on my kindle. I did research him after I read the book and I wish I had done so before I made the purchase. You are forewarned and I will leave you to draw your own conclusions if you should choose to check out his credentials.

Many other reviewers have mentioned the ADDH nature of the book. What struck me was the resemblance to the wikipieda centric papers turned in by my undergraduate students, completely derivative and barely one step from the original source matierial. Timothy had the benefit of a book advance to indulge in first person research and expansive (and expensive) toys. Which results in a lot of name dropping and marginal recommendations. I finished the book with the same exasperation with which I routinely walk out of moive theaters following a typical CGI orgy with no actual plot or character development. Sort of like a McDonalds meal when you wanted sushi. Timothy Ferriss is the male version of Elizabeth Gilbert and "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia". Predigested experience(s) for fans of the ultimate fan boy. The gratuitous bits about robust sex and killing various critters in the name of respecting your food could be down right offensive to the unprepared.

I am an experienced home cook - I was sucked in by the words "Chef" and "Pro" in the title. This book will not turn you into a Chef, nor will you be cooking like a pro at the end of it. Not in four hours, not in a year. It may get you sufficiantly past the fear of walking into the kitchen to perhaps purchase a more usefull resource like Alton Browns "Good Eats: The Early Years" or any of Rachael Rays books "Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book: Her Biggest Ever Collection of All-New 30-Minute Meals Plus Kosher Meals, Meals for One, Veggie Dinners, Holiday Favorites, and Much More!".

Alternatively if you are doing market research on self-indulgent egocentric man/boys of the 30 somthing variety, this book will give you a comprehensive insiders view. I gave it three stars because it was hilarious reading, and when viewed in that light was worth the $9.99. One caveat to those serious about the cooking part - the book is very badly formatted for view on a black and white kindle. None of the photos/charts/illustrations are clear enough to be useful on that device they are however, reasonable in color on my ipad.
22 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2012
I ordered this because nutrition guru Isabel De Los Rios sent me a spam email about this great "cookbook" with awesome how-to photos. I did not watch the Amazon trailer, but I should have. This book is more like how to catch and skin pigeons, poach salmon in the bathroom sink, and survive in the wilderness than it is a beginner's cookbook. I was expecting "The Joy of Cooking" and got, well, the ADHD Guide to Life. Obviously I was NOT paying attention when I ordered it :)
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2012
One of the best books I have bought in a long time. 4-Hour Chef is about more than just cooking. Primarily, it's about learning and creating roadmaps for learning anything. It is full of good information, and it is the one cookbook where you need to read every page to get the most out of it.

It is huge, but the most important lessons are deceptively simple. The real meat is in the introduction and the first section. Here you will find a goldmine of information, easily worth the price of the book by itself. Below are some of the things I have enjoyed most so far:

* One page cooking cheat sheet. Excellent example of condensing complex info to one page, most bang for the buck. Also see the four hour body summary.

* Meta-learning section is very good.

* How to shoot a three pointer appendix is great. I play basketball at least 4-5 hours a week and have done so for 15 years. Reading this section improved my shot instantly, and working on the form here has continued to improve my game. Great, concise example of conveying complex information in readable, learnable format.

* The memory, or encoding section, is good but would have liked to see some other book recommendations. Memory is one of my favorite subjects and a five page treatment just barely scratches the surface. Below are some other book recommendations for memory if you want to learn other methods.

Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It - Practical and theoretical, a good starting point.

The Memory Book - Practical only, but excellent introduction.

Moonwalking with Einstein - Excellent memoir, first got me interested in memory. If you aren't sure if you want to commit the time to use your memory effectively, read this first.

Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters - Very practical, great instruction on using the loci method.

Train Your Brain For Success: Read Smarter, Remember More, and Break Your Own Records - Some unique memory methods here that I have not found elsewhere. Great information, especially body-loci method.

Bottom line: Buy this book. To paraphrase Ryan Holiday, "If you don't have copy of this book, you are an idiot."

PS - To address all of the noise on the reviews about five star ratings and how soon they came out . . . if you complained about this, you don't know how the book industry works. I own a small publishing company. It is standard practice to give early copies to those who you believe will offer positive reviews. After all, they are your fans or interested in the book in some way or they wouldn't receive a copy. When Amazon allows reviews for any product, everything is fair game. Many have a review written but don't post it until Amazon allows it. There is nothing strange about getting multiple five star reviews the day a book comes out. . . . in fact, if an author has done their job, its what should happen.

* 11/20/2012

First Impressions: This book looks great. If you like books, do yourself a favor and pick this up. It's a great design and Tim Ferris and his publisher did not pull any punches. It's a great looking book.

After flipping through the book and reading a few sections, I am excited to read this book and learn how to cook. The method may not be for everyone, but the layout of this book is perfect for me. Can't wait to get started and work my way through it. The bonus sections are just as interesting to me as well, and the learning method that is explained in the first section is the real gold in the book for me.

Two other things to note:
One, the size of this book is daunting. It's huge, complicated looking, and full of information. Take your time and read the Table of Contents - you will see that it is carefully organized and laid out to be the most helpful, even though it is massive.

Second, my wife opened before I did and looked through it. Her impression is "That's a man's cookbook, I would never use it." Probably a lot of truth in that.
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2012
Excellent book even if you have NO Interest in cooking. Takes the guess work out and gives nice little anecdotes such as "The reason to use cold water instead of hot water for cooking at home".

Very practical in eating choices for maximum health benefits and everyday living. Your spouse will thank you for it on date night (whether you eat in or dine out).
Spend the $30. You won't be sorry.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 21, 2012
I wouldn't recommend this book to someone interested in meta-learning. I love the 4HWW and the 4HB, I knew exactly what I was getting and you really got the benefit from all of Tim's testing and experience in both business and fitness. I was hesitant to purchase the 4 Hour Chef because, although I like cooking, it didn't really warrant buying a huge book of recipes.

Tim said himself, this book isn't really about cooking, it's about learning to learn. That being said, probably only about 10% of the books content fully addresses this. The rest is pretty much about food or random, boring information (gun facts). I actually really like Tim Ferriss and I will continue to take an interest in his future work, but this is a bit of a let down. Some mention that it's the best book yet, not by a long way.

What I would like

- Greater detail about how to go about learning complex skills
- Tim claims that this is cooking made easy, designed to ease beginners into the process before getting to overwhelmed. And yet, the very first recipe demands the use of a "raw or finished cast iron dutch oven". I don't know what that is, doesn't sound like a normal oven to me, and if it is, TELL ME. I'M A BEGINNER!
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 20, 2012
I have to confess that I have been skeptical, to say the least, of Timothy because his past books sound too good to be true. I mean, according to him, you can be both super-rich and have the most amazing sexual copulation parties that you could ever dream of only by reading his books! Wow! If only...if only...However, I think that The 4-Hour Chef is the real deal, homes. Whereas the other two books clearly sounded too good to be true, I fully believe that this tome is very practical and realistic, not filled with any self-promoting exaggerations, questionable "science" or sensationalism in the slightest. No siree Bob!

I truly believe more than ever that I could even be the next Top Chef (Hiya Tom and Padma!!!) just by absorbing all the radical awesomeness contained within this tubular book of cowabunga awesomeness. In just a very short read of almost 700 pages--double-spaced, so you know it's not really that long and more like 350 pages--I learned so much that I really believe I can cook like almost any pro that you see on the Food Network (I am, of course, talking about esteemed chef Juan-Carlos Cruz, the Calorie Commando). Let me give you some amazing examples of what I learned from this sweet, bodacious book.

I learned how to open up a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese dinner, and make it all by myself from scratch! Amazing! I know! Prior to reading this book, I would only be able to open the aforementioned box, but not do anything else with it! Sure, Timothy could have focused on more intricate cooking such as molecular gastronomy or at least julienning some vegetables, but I think that opening a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is already quite high-class enough so never mind.

Also, I learned all about mixing iced tea crystals with water to--get this, get this--make my own iced tea. Hot da/m/n, lemme tell ya, hot d/a/mn! Before absorbing all the nuggets of valuable info in this book, I could only pour water into a glass and then drink it. Now, I know all about the complicated procedure of making my own iced tea. Thanks, Timothy, thank you!!

I urge you, naturally, to purchase this book because it is more credible than Timothy's prior books for all the reasons outlined above. Sure, you may not have that much money anymore because Obama is raising gas prices and making you more dependent on food stamps, but pawn whatever items you need to in order to purchase this book. You will not regret it--I guarantee it!
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2013
My husband found out last night that he's going to be laid off at the end of the month. Last day's gonna be the 26th, 3 weeks from today. I started reading this book before I found out about all this, but this just makes the lessons that much more poignant.

Stayed awake by myself most of the night, though I did sleep for about 4 hours. Wasn't really worrying, just kinda thinking about the situation and considering it from a few different angles. Thought that I probably could be stressed out and nervous about this, but knew that that wouldn't help us solve the problem quicker, so decided not to do that.

My husband seems under pressure, though he was composed about it last night and this morning (though we still prayed together about it multiple times), and he slept pretty well. He knows that he's been thinking about getting a new, better job/career/business for a long time, so we're both taking this as just one extra push forward to get ourselves out there and not wait around for every little thing to fall into place. I've been coming to terms with this for a while as well.

As for me, I'm still in the process of pursuing voice acting as a career (though I haven't e-mailed my demos to agents since I had our baby Alex, since I wanted to rest up for a while), and am working on multiple other projects as well, including writing a couple books (fiction and non-fiction), researching internet marketing (both the niche internet marketing and actually learning how to market on the internet, as they are two VERY different things XD), behavioral psychology, mindset, and probably at least 5 or 6 different other subjects for QUITE a long time, making a miniscule amount of money because who has time for putting it all into place when THERE ARE LITERALLY MILLIONS OF BOOKS I HAVE YET TO READ AND I GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL?!

So, I decided to stop being a crazy person in that regard (I have, for the last few days, made close to zero progress on the new website/blog I'm building because I'm having trouble figuring out how to put clickable links in a Wordpress page and WE CAN'T MOVE ON TILL WE GET THAT ALL TAKEN CARE OF, CAN WE?!). So, uh, yeah, I'm gonna start focusing my time more on the things I can do and the things that matter (and that I can leverage) and ask questions from people who can help when I need something taken care of quickly (and I will ask about those LINKS!!! later on today, I already have a couple people in mind, but if anybody here has any ideas, I would certainly love to hear from you. XD). But I just want to be able to do something meaningful and help a lot of people, while also being able to receive a lot of money for it and spending ample amounts of time together as a family as well.

And this will also include widening my scope for a job of my own (as long as it makes financial sense to have someone else take care of the baby, or if my husband can), and help my husband look for a job/career/business as well, and being open to anything greater as well coming along, of course. =)

And if we do end up having to be homeless for a while, in addition to all that I've learned so far about going for the "big wins" and things that matter, at least I'm also learning from reading this book how to catch and cook pigeons and squirrels. XD

But yeah, this is actually a really great book, I'd even say it's more like a user's manual (Tim calls it a "choose-your-own adventure" book, which I love) to learn basically anything rather than a non-fiction "novel", which might be where a lot of the confusion seems to be coming from in other reviews, as it can jump around a lot on the topics, since its layout IS more like a manual.

- Liz Chen