Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only $29.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 15, 2014
I had heard a lot of people rave about this book before I finally picked it up and decided to read it for myself. I'm glad that I read it, but I don't think it was quite as life-changing for me as it was for some of my friends. Don't get me wrong, Ferriss makes some excellent points and he's got some really great tips and tricks in here, I'm just not sure how universal they really are.

First of all, when I picked up the book, I didn't expect that he was literally working only four hours a week. I thought he was just talking about ways to spend less time working, but that "The 4-Hour" just sounded good (since he now has a whole line of books with titles that start that way). Nope. Turns out he really only worked four hours every week for a few years. I hate him. Now, with his series of books and everything, that's not true so much, so I hate him less. Now his job is much more similar to what I actually want to do.

As I said, Ferriss has some great ways of eliminating clutter and busywork, including things you don't even think of as busywork. I've already started implementing some of these tips at work, and they've come in pretty handy so far. I keep meaning to get rid of a bunch of my physical clutter, but my laziness keeps getting in the way of that. I'll get around to it in the next few weeks.

I also appreciated his philosophy of taking mini-retirements throughout life, rather than one long retirement at the end of life. I never did understand the point of retirement, so Ferriss's plan sounds much more appealing to me. As he put it, retirement should be nothing more than a fail-safe in case something happens and you are physically (or mentally) incapable of working. My thoughts exactly.

My main problem with his philosophy is that it really only works if you have a product that you are not actually making, but that you can sell. For example, even if I were to quit my day job and write all day every day, I would still be working a lot. Granted, that would make my job a whole lot more portable, but I could never get away with only working four hours per week (at least not until after I sell that bestselling novel, which is such a realistic plan!) In order to do it his way, I would need to have something that is already produced, or that someone else is making (clothes, dietary supplement, etc.) where all I have to do is collect the money that comes in from those sales.

Of course, that's a lot harder than it sounds. His ways of eliminating the useless from his life are really quite impressive, and not to be underestimated, but I still wonder if someone in their twenties, who is just starting out in life, can really make his plan work? Some of his success stories include people negotiating working remotely, because they have built up value in their company. Someone who has only been working at their current job for a year or two does not have the kind of leverage necessary to do that.

Additionally, he talks about the trick to getting out of your job so you can go have that great once-in-a-lifetime adventure. He mentions considering the worst-case scenario and the fact that worst-case is not necessarily all that bad. One of his points he brings up is that, if he loses his job, he can get another one fairly easily. Well, great for him, but the original book was written before the job market collapsed, followed by this lovely "jobless recovery". I was recently unemployed for eight months and it was not fun. I, too, thought I could get another job within a few months, but that did not turn out to be the case. So, if I go spend all my money on a mini-retirement now, and then come back only to find that I can't get a job for another year, I'll be screwed. Yes, even that worst-case scenario isn't that bad. I could always move back in with my parents, but I'd really rather not. I love them, but they have enough to deal with right now, and the last thing I want to do is burden the people around me because I decided to go globe-trotting for a few months. Timothy Ferriss told me it would be fine!
55 comments| 609 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2014
The book should be entitled, "Everything that's Wrong with this Country." All you need to do is cultivate ignorance, outsource everything, and never think for yourself. If you have absolutely no ethics whatsoever and want to con the masses, then you too can Get Rich Quick. Here's how:

1. Pretend you're an expert on... anything. He specifically explains that it doesn't even matter what you might or might not actually know. You do this by repackaging the works of others and selling "your" ideas on-line -- to the gullible masses. Seriously, he begins by admitting he first made his fortune selling (allegedly) nutritional supplements that cost almost nothing to make and weren't based on science, but were then hyped to the point the uninformed public was paying through the nose to get it. This gave him ideas on how to further hype his message to an even larger audience, without bothering to sell anything tangible. Just tell them how they, too, can get rich quick by pretending to actually know something. He then gives advice about "paraphrasing and combining points from several books," borrowing from the public domain, and/or compensating some other "expert." This way, you don't need to be bothered to actually learn anything, which brings me to step #2.

2. Stay uneducated. This is in the chapter entitled "The Low Information Diet." He admits he doesn't bother staying abreast on the news or any other kinds of current events -- even to the point that, during election seasons, he simply asks his more educated friends about whom will win their votes and then votes for those candidates. Not kidding. He justifies this by saying how the time it takes to, you know, LEARN THINGS, is time that could be spent running a business on autopilot or having fun. Apparently, not knowing a damn thing is a virtue he calls "Cultivating Selective Ignorance." I prefer to call it, "The Suicide of Democracy." If having an educated and well-informed populace is fundamental to having a flourishing democracy, this is how we'll end up with a plutocracy where the stupidest few prey on the desperate and stupid masses, while outsourcing all the jobs they might create. This brings me to point #3.

3. Outsource everything -- including your brain -- to a 3rd World Country: He hires virtual assistants in various 3rd World Countries, especially India, who are then given fabulous access to all of his personal information to the point they can pretend to be him and make all of his personal and business decisions. They send all of his correspondence, including e-mails and anything of an official nature (which causes me to assume they wrote this book for him. They certainly wrote many of the excellent reviews). Personal business which can be done remotely are always done by them. As he states he can't be bothered to think for himself, it shouldn't be surprising he isn't interested in working for himself, either. Hey, what could possibly go wrong by hiring complete strangers and giving them all information about you in order to think for you, do your work and run your errands? Finally, point #4:

4. Avoid those who want knowledge: If you can't be bothered knowing anything, why should they? Whether it's your boss or your client, do everything in your power to avoid those people because of how they drain your time. The boss wants you to attend a meeting? Just tell him you're too busy and further kill morale by then asking those other suckers - aka, co-workers - for a quick breakdown of what happened. Clients? Don't get back to them right away, if ever. If they demand to actually know something, have those remote virtual assistants send them just enough to get them to shut up.

There are a couple, minuscule, points the author makes that are reasonably valid, such as: It's good to streamline your many processes and it's good to have solid goals. Also, I could say that the book begins by being very motivational. If I were critiquing this on just the first few pages it would likely have 4 stars. As it's written, the unethical, stupid and lazy b.s. kills any chance of this even getting 2 stars.

I wish I hadn't bought this on Kindle.
I wish I had read the bad reviews, first.
1515 comments| 597 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2017
I love tim ferriss and there are some great concepts in here.
Pros-
-Great ideas on what to do when you already have your product.
-Good ideas on what to do when you actually start making money.
Cons-
-Concepts are dated and companies that he describes change frequently.
-Not a lot of information on how to get the ball moving if you have an invention just what to do when you need to outsource.
If you found this review helpful please click the button below.
on August 30, 2015
Several chapters in, Ferriss recommends that you not be hesitant to walk out of a bad movie or to put down a book you are not enjoying - - so I did.
0Comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 19, 2017
I thought this would be a helpful book like it touts. This sounds like a business executive had too many drinks and can't stop preaching to people under him. Ugh. Not an easy guide, or simple to continue reading. I stopped 3 chapters in. I've had better luck tutoring myself over YouTube. Such a waste of money.
on February 17, 2018
Despite the controversial title, it's not a "get rich quick book". It's about working hard, but working hard in a meaningful and efficient way.

For example, if you don't want a million bucks in a bank account but a small automated (or semi-automated) business to support simple and happy lifestyle then you don't have to work your face off every day for 10 years. Right? Hard work is defined by your own goals and ambitions (and not by how much time somebody else put in the work with 10X of your needs in life).

The great thing about this book is that it can be applied not only to business but to personal productivity in general: In last few years, I managed to lower my working hours (I'm a web developer; went from full-time to part-time) while increasing total salary (more than 3X) and launching my own small business (around online software).

Just be aware, that this book is just a foundation to see new options in life and start asking a different kind of questions. For a specific skillset (which depends on who you are and your goals in life) I suggest reading other books in combination with the 4HWW.
on December 16, 2010
 This book changed my life. Literally! I had been on the cusp for some time debating starting a business. The catalyst that put it in motion was this book.

Honestly, though if anything I might contend with it is that it's not a walk in the park. Book almost makes it sound like it might be effortless. I don't completely disagree with that if you have the right mastermind group and mentors it can be. However, starting from scratch learning your way to passive income is no easy task.

That being said the book is jam packed full of fantastic and priceless pearls of wisdom. I have read it a good half dozen times. Each time I learn more to implement. It's a tool for gaining higher productivity and attaining success in personal endeavors.

Tim is great about keeping us on the cutting edge too he has established a strong support network with his blog, forum, and revisions to the book which help me to this day!

My personal advice. If you haven't read the book yet buy it now and read it. Cannot say enough good things about it!
on November 26, 2017
The book that put Tim on the map. Only issue is the title. I know from his podcasts that there were few good names to choose from but when he explained to think of it as how to be 10x productive (eg 40/10=4) not literally a 4 hour work week (no one he respects works 4 hours a week) then it makes sense. Work smarter not harder would have been a boring title but more accurate.
on December 5, 2017
This book wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but nevertheless it was still a good read. I have no desire to take a mini retirement at this point in my life so I didn't have much interest in those chapters. However, I relished the case studies he did of 2 online entrepreneurship start up businesses, it gave me ideas for my own business and answered questions I didn't know I had. Overall, I learned a good deal from this book so I don't regret buying it.
on March 23, 2008
I recently joined the unemployed (not the new rich with plenty of disposable income but the folk who involuntarily don't work). For sure Tim is a bit of a huckster who excels at self-promotion (and he gives you a primer on doing the same). I read this book with skepticism and I retain it: dehydrating to enter a fight in a lower weight class, then rehydrating to regain the weight and pushing a guy out of the ring may win a "technical" championship but it's not mastering the martial art. Boiled down, Tim tells us to start an online store and outsource everything. That said at a time when I am looking at my options and seeking a way of providing for myself that is less masochistic than the office work for 40 or 50 hours a week, I found this book encouraging and inspiring. Perhaps I cannot be as free as Tim but before I go back to work, I intend to consider long and well my values and interests before putting on any (golden or not) handcuffs. To me the real strength of this book is not whether Tim has created a truly workable solution for everyone but that he has generously reminded us that we are part of an equation in the work place, that our needs and not just the employer's needs matter, and he gives you a script to get those needs met. How often do successful people tell you how they negotiated accommodation and rewards? They don't except with platitudes and vague advice about working hard. Whether you think Tim is shallow or not, he does give some workable advice that might just get you home more, working less, and pursuing your interests freely.