BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 6, 2017
I don't review music or movies as I find them to be a highly subjective subject and open to a vast array of opinion which may influence people in ways not meant to and I prefer to sway no one's opinion. I learned of Melody Gardot through a friend. I listened for myself and bought ALL of her CD's instantly. This CD is a more "seasoned" Ms. Gardot. I liken her work to Peggy Lee. I love a sultry dark sexy throat to bathe my ears in times gone by. Ms. Gardot does it well. I have also downloaded a couple songs NOT on her CD's from YouTube. I can hardly wait to obtain her latest work and hopefully those 2 songs will be on the new CD. I have no idea when that will be, but I WILL buy it when it comes out. I love her voice and style.
on November 13, 2012
From the very first bars of the opener "Mira," it's clear that Gardot has moved worlds apart from her Philadelphia beginnings. The Absence reflects Gardot's travels through Spain and Portugal during the recording process, as many songs don a light Euro air. Her characteristic whispered delivery is further cushioned with strings, plucked nylon-strung guitars, and layers of light percussion. "Lisboa" recalls mid-60s Astrud Gilberto, right down to the quivery vibrato, as she samba'd her way past the Ipanema girl. Gardot's melancholy murmurs may suggest a naughty Oughtie, but she also owes the Brazilian 60s, as The Absence has a presence in both eras.
on July 5, 2013
The first time I heard this (bought the Mp3 album), I was a bit taken aback as it was SO different. Then, I couldn't stop listening to its sophisticated music and gentle vocals. Toe tapping in places, atmospheric in others, it is a beautiful album that marches to its own drummer. Melody Gardot, some professional critic said, has "prodigious talent." That is certainly true--and when you also see her live you get a much jazzier feel and extended songs. The albums don't always reflect that. Even so...this is a stone cold winner and she is simply brilliant.
on October 9, 2017
Melody Gardot is new artist for me having been told about her by an Australian I met on a trip. This album is much different from the other I bought but both are wonderful for their own reasons. Read her story, it's interesting enough that it alone will want you to have some of her music.
on November 13, 2012
Melody Gardot is one of the most unique young artists in the world today. She harkens from Philly, but her soul is Parisian. Her voice is soft, there is a lot of tremolo. Think Sidney Bechet. She sings songs in a style that is all her own and it transcends any established genre. Almost coming out of the tradition of Edith Piaf, but not exactly. She is, to quote Duke Ellington, "Beyond Category."
on November 9, 2012
This album makes you feel as though you are at Rio de Janeiro or the the South of France. This feeling is entwined in both the music and lyrics. It is saucy and sexy and reflects a subtle change in musical style, though maintains the undeniable artistic identity of Melody Gardot. If you have her music in your collection, I highly recommend this album as a welcome addition.
on February 7, 2013
I really, really love Melody's instrumental compositions and her lyrics (where one can discern them), but I can't compliment the production values applied. As some others have commented, Melody's voice all too often blends into the instrumental in such a way that the "the absence" here becomes her voice. Her lyrics often come across as very muffled. She might as well be singing scat. One keeps wondering, what were those words she just sang? Listening again and again won't give you the answer. Nor will the liner notes which do not contain the lyrics, a glaring omission for an album of all original music. If the liner notes contained the lyrics and if her vocals stood out more from the instrumentals, this album would be a 5 star and her best to date, but as it stands, it's a near miss.
on December 14, 2014
This has a more South American/Spanish feel and style than Melody's earlier album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Her voice remains consistently good, and slightly ethereal, so don't expect screaming rockchick music. Expect thoughtful tunes and gentle arrangements. I especially like 'Amalia' which combines all the best elements of the overall album. A slight change of direction, but a change is as good as a holiday. Recommended.
on January 22, 2015
I love every thing Melody does-and this is no exception. Marvelous music. I have everything she has ever released.

Diana Krall? *Bleh*.....this is the real deal folks!

"Worrisome Heart" is her best.....this is her second best.
on October 17, 2013
One of my favorite artists has delivered yet another CD with excellent sound, tones and music! I don't care much for the almost bare Melody on the cover or inside the case, but cannot complain about her music. My 16yr old daughter has listened to her music since she was little and now has also fallen in love with Melody's style. This CD has a variety of Jazz on it and is enchanting to hear. Great Great CD!!