Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
Enthusiast: DC Comicson December 20, 2016
A gorgeous edition collecting several of the early Sandman stories by Neil Gaiman. I bought this as a gift for a friend and she was floored to receive it.
on June 10, 2015
I am very happy with this purchase. The volume comes with a nice slipcover, and the book is very large and nice to the touch. The pages are thick and the colors on the pages are vibrant and beautiful. To top it off, it comes with a bookmark ribbon. You can't go wrong with this as your introduction to Sandman. You may initially think it's a little costly, but for the money, it is fantastic value.
on April 16, 2008
Comprising Sandman numbers 1 to 20, the Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 is the first of four oversized, slip-cased hardcover books that will reprint Neil Gaiman's Sandman completely (all 75 numbers, plus some extras). That alone would be highly recommended, but this book has also a new coloring, aproved my Neil himself, plus a new introduction by Paul Levitz, forewords by Gaiman, a copy of the script with sketches for Sandman #19 (A Midsummer Night's Dream) and also sketches from Gaiman and Michael Dringenberg on the Sandman proposal to DC back in the 80s. Ah, and also all 20 covers from Dave McKean.

All of this would mean nothing if the book wasn't really good, and really good it is. Here you'll read the capture of the Lord of the Dreams and his comeback (early collected in "Preludes and Nocturnes"), his encounter with the deadly nightmare "The Corinthian" (previously collected in "The Doll's House), and four short stories from the past of Dream (as seen before in "Dream County" collection). Many great moments from the series are here: the confrontation in Hell with demons over his helmet, the serial killer convention, the encounter with his sister Death, and the already mentioned A Midsummer Night's Dream, the first and only comic book to win a World Fantasy Award.

This book is a work of art, and high recommended. Can't wait to have the 4 of them on my bookshelf!
on July 11, 2014
There is no doubt that this is an amazing edition. However, I bought it thinking that it would hold more than 3 volumes. I had thought I was saving money, but it seems that buying the smaller volumes individually would have saved me a lot of money. Just a heads up.
on December 8, 2013
I own all 5 absolutes and I have to say I am impressed with it. Out of the five, volume 2 had very poor binding. The glue used was not evenly placed and the spine was separating from the pages. Luckily I was able to fix it myself. For a graphic novel of this price, you would have thought that they would do a better job at it. I bought vol 1 thru amazon and the remaining 4 from a different retailer as they were half off. For those planning to collect these, do some research on which site offers the best price.
on August 23, 2012
Love the absolute books. I own absolute hush and now sandman vol. 1 and I can "absolutely" say they are worth the money. This book especially. Provided, of course, that you don't pay the full cover price. It comes with an awesome slipcase cover and the book itself is leather bound and super classy looking. There are quite a few bonus features too, which for me is one of the main reasons I buy absolute. That and the oversized awesomeness of it all. It's like imax for comic books. Buy this if you love sandman. If you've never read sandman then perhaps start with a trade paperback or two but really that will almost be a waste of money because you will love it and end up wanting this edition. It collects the first 20 issues of the series. So worth the $65 price tag.
on September 23, 2016
Wonderful book, the quality is top notch and I love having them on my desk. Lots of people have asked me what it is because it looks so nice. As for the story, simply a wonderful exploration of a unique mythos that causes one to reflect on their own life, as any great work should.
on June 2, 2016
It is the most complete book ever made of Sandman! I can apreciate the images so much more in this size and the new color is impeccable! I'm happy with my book and with Amazon also, because, despite that I live in Argentina, my book arrived very fast and in perfect condition! I highly recommend both!
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 8, 2007
As a longtime Sandman reader, I found this volume to be everything I could ever desire in an Absolute Sandman. This book collects all of the first 20 issues of the landmark series, has re-colored 18 of the 20 issues (this is a HUGE upgrade) from and of the old trades. Trust me, if you are reading anything but the Absolute Edition, you are missing out on a lot of detail and pleasant art. And if you don't care about art (like I don't), you will still find the stories more enjoyable. This book will look good on your shelf, the spine will not break when you lay it flat, and if you ever enjoyed Sandman at all, you will love this series. Just think, these are the weakest issues of the series. Can't wait for Vol 2 and 3!

Re-readability: 10/10

*I always put re-readability in my reviews for people who like to keep their TPB to re-read*
on December 9, 2013
I had been curious about Sandman for a while before purchasing this and it completely lived up to my expectations. The stories are vivid and describe a world which seems at times tantalizingly close. The construction of the volume itself adds a lot to the reading. It feels nice (though heavy) to hold and looks amazing. The ribbon to mark your spot works well and the box itself is well made and although not as pretty as the volume itself provides a good aesthetic.