Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 14, 2014
I bought this book because of the price and I wanted a listing of every year's nominees and winners -- I am a movie buff with OCD. The book is beautiful and loaded with pictures, but has many, many, errors in it! Some listings even forget to give you the winner, or worse yet, gives you the wrong winner. This book was poorly researched and some of the captions have erroneous nominations, facts, and dates. My goodness, all you had to do is copy the listings from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences or Robert Osborne's book on the subject. A book of this sort needs to be accurate and it isnt!
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on August 18, 2011
This book changes every couple of years, and each time it says "revised and up-to-date." It's got some nice pictures, interesting trivia, and it's very well organized. This is a very good book, but it does contain many erroneous facts: It has some wrong birth years associated with the winners, it neglects to put the death years with some of the deceased recipients, and some of the book's overall trivia is wrong. The next time this book is released, I hope that the authors go back, do their research, and make sure that it actually IS "revised and up-to-date."
33 helpful votes
34 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on December 5, 2013
12/05/2013 6:42pm The Academy Awards Jim Piazza and Gail Kinn 2011 Edition
I have many books on the Academy Awards and this is very current and up to date. The last Oscar year featured is 2010
when "The Kings Speech" was selected as the Best Picture of 2010. I like the format, which sometimes is needlessly botched elsewhere. Simply, start with the Best Picture, Director, all four Best acting categories, briefly describe the film, cast and plot and any past film info. The authors include all nominations on one page which is a major value for this book. Unfortunately, this compressed page makes the print/ type/ font very small, faint and hard to read. Larger print type would be best. The authors also have a column which lists Oscar Firsts, Sins of Omission, overlooked Oscar candidates and other factoids, some times the authors fall in to rumor and gossip, which I can do without such useless stuff. I like the authors to expand that Overlooked at the Oscars and expand it to all categories. I can suggest improvements while enjoying the book.
on September 5, 2015
This is a fascinating record of Oscar history, both visually and in written form. I refer to it often when I am looking for films to watch, and also when I want to understand the background to what I am watching. In the past, however, I have found quite a few errors - both typographical errors, as well as listing incorrect winners,(or not listing them at all). I've only found one error so far in the newer pages I've read. I'm hoping, when I check some of the errors in the older entries, that they've been corrected by now. Despite this, this book is worth every star.
on September 16, 2017
Good book. Will help me with my college film course on best pictures. 😀
on May 1, 2017
Fantastic book about the Oscars and the behind the scenes. Very informative about the winner and nominations.
on November 25, 2016
Nice book to have if you are a fan of the Academy Awards. Good edition and content. Recommended.
on June 13, 2013
This volume has just about everything one could want or need to know about the Academy Awards, straight through 2010. All the winners and nominees are listed, as well as comments about what was going on behind the scenes and who should have but wasn't nominated. The big bonus is that there are photos aplenty. A feast for the eye and the mind.
2 helpful votes
on February 21, 2017
My husband loves the book. Reads it all the time. Highly recommend it for the unknown information about the Oscars.
on March 12, 2014
I got several copies of this because I buy it whenever new editions come out. The best book I've found with not only great information about the winners but fun facts and trivia about the nonwinners and behind the scenes gossip. It's my Oscar bible and I frequently use it year round when I want more information about a movie I'm watching.