Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 394 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 21, 2015
I would give this thriller 4-1/2 stars. I've read four novels by Linwood Barclay now, and love his books. This was probably my least favorite, but the last 100 pages really ramped up the mystery and the action, and I wound up really liking Glen, a good guy in a bad situation.

Glen is a contractor who has a world of troubles. His wife may be the cause of a car accident that killed two people besides herself. His business is doing badly and he's not sure if he can trust his employees. There might be a New York City thug unleashed on his friends, and his young daughter is getting harassed at school. And it gets worse from there!

You know how when you read a book or watch a movie and the characters do stupid things or outrageous things, things that no real person would do? Well this was a nice change of pace in that regard. Glen tries to do the right thing and the consequences seem realistic. He consistently makes thoughtful and mature choices and always tries to do right by people. I liked that about him.

With a sympathetic everyman protagonist and a well-paced last hundred pages, I would recommend this thriller, but if it's your first book by this excellent author might suggest Never Look Away or Trust Your Eyes first.
on January 13, 2014
Glen is a loyal husband running his construction/building company in the small town of Milford. He loves his wife, Sheila and is a good father to their young daughter, Kelly. Times are tough financially for this family and Sheila tries to bring in some extra money.
This will set into play a series of events that affects all of the characters in the town. Glen will have to work his way through terrible grief. He will have to investigate many events, daily. Their friends and neighbors put their lives at risk trying to get their hands on an envelope full of money.
Glen will have a hard time knowing who he can trust as bodies start piling up and suspicion becomes the norm. One thing that never wavers is his love and protection of his daughter.
Enjoy another great thriller by Linwood Barclay. I did.
on December 28, 2014
This is my second book by Barclay and I really enjoyed it. I had recently read No Time for Goodbye and I will say that I like The Accident better. The pacing, story and suspense are the strengths of this novel and is a can't miss for the fan of the genre.

The story centers around a contractor named Glen Garber who has recently lost his wife in a terrible car accident where she killed two people as she was drunk and got behind the wheel. As he picks up the pieces of his life and tries to raise his six year old daughter by himself, he starts to figure out that there was a lot more to the accident than he first thought. As other people start dying in this small town he starts to realize that there are criminal activities taking place in this sleepy town and that his wife's death might be involved.

I started reading Barclay because I heard he wrote like Harlen Coben, and I saw this common thread much more in this novel than in No Time For Goodbye. I believe a fan of Coben and of course of Barclay himself will really enjoy this novel.

Grade: A+
on July 12, 2017
Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed this book for what it was. A Fast, entertaining thriller. My problem with it is the same many reviewers have: It requires a big suspense in disbelief for it to work.
on August 6, 2015
Too far fetched, the author was trying way too hard with this one. Plot became so convoluted with so many murders going on. Shallow characters and 8 year old character's dialogue was far too mature for a child of that age.
on September 28, 2011
I like Barclay's books. They hook me in and are easy, fast, fun reads. But this one had me questioning the story--like a lot. I kept thinking, really? This would never happen. Ever. Even though some of his other books have wild plots, somehow when I read those I thought--ok this could maybe happen. But I just wanted this book to be over b/c it was so silly and over-the-top.
on August 4, 2016
I had borrowed "The Accident" from the Library TWICE and then realized I wanted to read it a third time and purchased it from amazon.com. I enjoyed it just as much the third time as I did the first time! All of this author's books are exceptionally good - he is a wonderful author, telling compelling stories with unexpected twists and turns.
on July 24, 2016
The Accident was a great thriller filled with many twists and turns in the plot. You need to pay close attention cause there are many characters througout and each one plays an important role. This is a hard book to put down once you begin reading. It's a true page turner! I truly was grearly entertained with this book!
on June 8, 2015
Another terrific read from Linwood Barclay. I've read most of his books and they're always good and keep me turning the pages. Thrillers are hard to write, so I always give credit for the complexity. I will admit this book stretched my suspension of disbelief almost to the breaking point, but I enjoyed the story just the same. I'm already reading another book by Barclay and he remains on my favorite author list.
on August 5, 2015
I am afraid to write an honest review.

The book is good. Hows that Amazon critics?