Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 241 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 270 reviews
on November 6, 2013
Cancer thrives in an acidic environment and can't survive in an environment above around 6.5 PH. I thought eating oranges would make me more acidic so I avoided them. I had read an article on cancer and acidic body Ph's years ago but until I read this book I didn't know that your body's response to the acid in an orange is to release bicarb to counteract the acid thereby rendering it non-acidic....Thank you book, I love oranges. This book should be taught in medical school, but wait, that would be a too simple way to deter cancer if not even prevent it and would cost the chemo and radiation doctors a fortune wouldn't it. And that's probably why its not known by most people. Read this book and find out the foods to include in your diets and those to exclude to keep your body ABOVE the recommended Ph and in the right range! This should be taught in high school or even middle school!
on January 9, 2007
This book gives a concise description of what pH balance is, how it affects your health, and the possible consequences of not keeping ones system "in balance". pH means "potential for hydrogen", a term used in chemistry, which indicates whether a solution, fluid or compound is acidic, alkaline, or neutral. pH can be measured in our bodies by testing saliva and urine or blood (pH strips are available for the first 2 tests), and if we have a heavy concentration of hydrogen in our systems, we are "acid based". The scale goes from 0 to 14; to be healthy, we should have slightly alkaline, oxygen-rich arterial blood (7.365 to 7.45 is ideal) - a reading of 7.0 is neutral.

Oxygen rich systems (alkaline based) neutralize formation of acids which might prove to be harmful. To help us stay in the neutral zone, our bodies use calcium and protein from bones, and possibly other places, to pump more alkaline to our systems in order to neutralize formation of acids, so as to keep us in balance. After the passage of time, if we fail to keep our systems in balance, and we become acid based, our bone formation will be reduced, calcium will be lost in our urine (leading to kidney stone formation), proteins will breakdown causing our muscles to waste away, our systems will be unable to repair cells, tissues and organs fully, our systems will age at an accelerated pace, more free radicals will be produced, we will be subject to increased fluid retention, and so forth.

The American diet is centered around foods that create acid-base systems. Dr. Brown lists about 70 pages of foods we eat, and rates them according to whether the food is alkaline-forming or acid-forming. The first time I read through the list, I determined that I could not eat any food without running the risk of forming more acids in my system. To remedy this, Dr. Brown suggest that we eat more dark green vegetables than any other food group. She doesn't require me to give up meat or eggs or nuts, so long as 2/3rd of my plate contains foods that are alkaline-forming (such as kale, collard greens, mustard greens, asparagus, snap green beans, etc.).

Dr. Brown explains the basis for her conclusions. Our bodies have 3 methods of getting rid of unwanted "poisons", or acid forming chemicals, all of which are filtered through our bodies:

First, our lungs supply our bodies with much needed oxygen (as we breathe in), and dispel (exhale) carbon dioxide (the "burned" waste from our system - an inference might be made that aerobic exercise helps cleanse our system, because it requires lots of heavy breathing, which gives us a double dose of oxygen; in turn the CO2 expels the oxidized stuff we don't need);

Second, our kidneys filter unwanted sugars, and other waste products which we don't need (we rid our systems through urine - a preventative measure we can take is to drink lots of pure, and hopefully ionized or ozone rich water, which will keep our kidneys healthy, as well as supply needed oxygen to our systems); and

Third, our skin filters out other things, through our perspiration (which is also produced through exercise).

With the information in this book, we will understand the importance of pH balance, have a list of foods and corresponding indicators as to whether the foods produce acid or alkaline with our systems, and gain a better appreciate of the components of good health.
1313 comments| 560 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2010
The A/A Food Guide is a nice layman's breakdown of the diet we all need to follow if we ever hope to maintain the same energy and vitality in our adult lives that most people (in America at least) only experience when they are children. This stuff is not rocket science, but with the level of misinformation, corporate food propaganda and misplaced skepticism we are unfortunately bombarded with every single day, you would think it is.

The message I took away from this excellent little book, which I already suspected was true based on my own personal experience, is this: 95%+ of fruits and vegetables have an alkalizing (i.e., healing) effect on your body. 100% of meats, dairy products and ESPECIALLY man-made so-called "food products" have an acidifying (i.e., draining) effect on your body. Combine that with the fact that many external factors such as emotional stress and physical exertion also have an acidifying effect on your body as well and you are looking at the reality that we must consume far more fruits and vegetables than animal proteins in order to maintain optimum health. And it goes without saying that man-made chemical garbage--e.g., aspartame--has no place in our diets whatsoever. Anyone who has an issue with these undeniable facts can take it up with our evolutionary ancestors--their eating habits are what determined, as homo sapiens, what our ideal diet is today. I personally don't need any 'scientific' proof for this theory because I have lived it, as a guinea pig, from consuming nothing but acidifying foods for almost a decade and feeling 30 years older than my actual age with frequent bizarre health problems, to consuming mostly alkalizing foods and feeling like a kid again within weeks, both mentally and physically. Just giving up coffee alone (extremely acidifying) I noticed my vitality skyrocket. I recommend that you get this book and start today.
on August 19, 2013
The actual case seems plausible, references to data seem to back up the hypothesis and I personally think there is something to the idea, however the book is not very well written in my opinion and even has errors. Animal cells do not have cell walls, for example. What does 'reduced size of the brain's pool of energy mean? 'More fertile breeding ground for many viruses, including HIV, which require an acidic environment combined with low level of disease fighting antioxidants?' What?! False and just a weird statement like a scare tactic or something - I have a degree in microbiology/bacteriology and practiced for 5 years - this is a huge leap, completely wrong and way way out of context. Or at least give data to back up these rather large claims.

While it is lacking in some areas it is mostly focused on the chart of foods and there effects as well as a brief history of the studies leading up to it.
on November 16, 2012
In my research on eating and nutrition I recently started to look at food and human PH. I found this book on Amazon and ordered it. The price was excellent and it shipped quickly. It actually arrived in one day versus the two days promised - a pleasant surprise. The case that the author builds regarding acidity versus alkalinity in our dietary choices is well presented in the first part of the book. There are many references quoted that provide valuable links to substantiate the facts. The book does fall short in the food tables section. In my opinion the tables are dated and lack proper organization. They could use a serious refreshment of (foods) content and a refinement of (the food table) organization.
on October 14, 2007
I recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand about the acidifying/alkalizing effects of the foods we eat. It explains in plain language how our diets influence our health and cause our illnesses. Most helpfully of all, it includes a comprehensive table showing the acidifying/alkalizing effects of many foods. I have never seen another table this complete. This table helps me choose the most healthful foods to eat. Anyone with a chronic illness should definitely read this book and follow its guidelines. Thank you, Susan Brown, for providing us with such helpful information.
on June 20, 2013
I have tabbed vegetable and fruit sections for easy reference. First part of book explains the science of rating foods across acid - alkaline Ph scale and why you want to stay out of acidic state. Bottom line is the average diet is very to mildly acidic setting the stage for chronic disease. The Second part rates just about every food you can think as to their acidic or alkaline potential on a simple scale. Although Limes and lemons definitely are sour and seem acidic in your mouth; your body digests them and produces a very alkaline result. I was surprised but this rating was borne out by all the research I came across. In a similar way, most people would intuitively believe that watermelon, which is very sweet and has a very high glycemic index, would also have a high glycemic load but that is not true.
on April 21, 2010
I dove into this book once I got it... and realized that I'm probably way OFF kilter in my Acid/Alkaline ballance... just by looking at the food charts in the 2nd. half of this small book... The 1st half of the book the authors share a lot very useful information pertaining to good 'ballanced' health... Good Health is all about BALLANCE... and I totally believe them that when the body is OFF-Ballance then it is much easier for Disease, and other problems to happen... even Cancer tumors to form, Yikes! Therefore, I immediately ordered PH test strips to test my urine pH... Now, I know how far off-kilter I am... The pH test strips show that I am averaging around 6.25pH which means that my body is mostly in an Acidic state... and where an avg. of 7.0pH is the perfect ballance goal. As Americans like me typically eat more Acidic forming foods, rather than Alkaline forming foods... Therefore, now I need to eat more vegetables and fruit, etc... perhaps even take 'emulsified cod liver oil' as well... to help me get IN-Ballance... So, Check out that book for yourselves... it just might save your own life in your future. I ordered even more of this particular book from Amazon to give to friends and family.
on March 24, 2013
In my investigations of the PH/Acidic balances, I was unable to find references specific enough for my needs. In this book, I found that which satisfied me- 6 levels of Ph/acid relationship for each food (Hundreds of foods, cross-referenced for easy reading - both under specific name and under category.) The degree of PH formation / acidic formations range from Very Alkaline/Moderately/low to Low acidic/moderately/Very acidic. It is presented in Chart formation, and takes up over half of the book.
This is, indeed, THE one book to have for reference.
on May 30, 2011
I initially bought this for my kindle, but I couldn't read the charts very well. I tried blowing up the text, but that didn't effect the charts at all. My second complaint is this... If the food you are looking up is on one of the last charts, you have to click the next page button about 100 times to get to it. So, in summary this is just too much work to access a chart that is barely readable. I am buying the actual book today. I'll read the written chapters on my kindle, and look up food charts in the actual book.