Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 606 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 861 reviews
on October 19, 2015
My first viewing of the Matt Damon/Emily Blunt "sci-fi romance intrigue" The Adjustment Bureau, based as are so many good sci-fi movies on a story by Philip K. Dick, had me cheering. Some of my cheers were for Dick and director George Nolfi (who also penned the screenplay) who combined to create a great thriller that doesn't include a single explosion or gun shot (okay, there's one small car crash) and presented 'villains' who don't need to be nasty-evil to make one fear them. I cheered also for my first view of Damon in a romantic lead, totally believable as a young political up-and-comer and a love-struck man. And saving the best for last I also cheered for Emily Blunt, seen by me for the first time and was all the more impressed with her performance when I later learned she'd had no training as a dancer prior to signing on for this movie. Astounding. Add to that a great supporting cast headed by Anthony Mackie and Terrance Stamp and you have a movie that deserves to be on your DVD shelf.
on July 8, 2014
I truly enjoyed this film, more than once. There is an interesting philosophical question being raised here, one I think we all wonder about. Is our fate of our own choosing? If so our choices may damn us or save us. But if some other force controls our thoughts, our interactions-for puposes we aren't even aware of, then our entire lives may not be of our own choosing - and the results, good or bad, have little to do with us. Is our fate in our stars or in our selves?
This movie is a bit contrived in it's handling of an issue that we must all wonder about but it's quite involving, intelligent, and leaves you with something to think about.

Matt Damon is, as usual, marvelous. He's real. You believe in this guy. I honestly forgot about Matt Damon and felt immensely for the the character, David, that he was playing. What more can you ask of an actor. Ellise,his counterpart, is adorable, loveable and true to the story. It really is worth seeing and recommending to friends.
on August 30, 2016
Might be my 4th viewing. Easily got me into and kept me into the story. Remembered all the broad strokes and a lot of the details, but I still wanted that dang story to advance even though I knew it would and exactly how it would. See? Something else keeps the viewer in the seat in addition to all the film cinematically offers. Probably true of all films that "get me" -- something else unseen there may be in the first or more viewings. Nice. Emily and Matt both delivered. The film has more gravitas than, say, Heaven Can Wait, by a whole notch. My five stars does not mean I thought this film or any of the achievements of it are worthy of the highest rating -- only that five stars is not enough to delineate. 8.5 stars on a ten point system. But when I give five stars here, it means I don't want to deconstruct this work to sleuth out the flaws. It passed all my tests -- YMMV.
on March 2, 2014
Fiction or non? In spite of some lesser reviews, if you are a person who roots for the underdog, wants good to triumph over evil, no matter what the odds-- you will absolutely LOVE this movie. The acting is excellent, the writing is as well. Nolfi nails it. The plot is fine even though the focused "negative" review would have you believe otherwise. He just doesn't get it.
If you have had things happen to you that are, shall we say, unexplained, AND you noticed that what happened doesn't fit, you might actually believe that this could be true. Maybe some unexplained happenstance occurred to the author which prompted him to write this screenplay. Don't worry, NO ONE will ever believe it. And keep it to yourself!!! That phone call that doesn't go through at a critical time, Bumping into someone, the voice inside your head that suddenly pushes you to do something that you would otherwise never, ever do, but somehow, some way, you instinctively just do it. And something consequential happens because of it. I say Screw Fate, SCREW the Chairman, use your free will and just watch the movie. It just might be the thing that changes how you view-- EVERYTHING. And no I'm not a relative of anyone involved in the movie whatsoever. It's worth seeing.
on November 3, 2015
Both Dick and Damon are at their best in this big-budget adaptation of Dick's exploration of politics, predestination, and why things turn out the way they do. The political scenes look just as real as CNN, and the movie looks like a political story -- until Congressman/candidate Damon inadvertently meets The Adjustment Team (title of the original short story). I won't tell who they are and what they do, because that's the whole point of the movie. One special effect that continues to amaze throughout the movie is the Team's power to open doors into completely different spaces. Yes, it's a bit of a love story, but Dick never lets that interfere with his sober and cynical look at the forces of destiny.
on April 21, 2013
After the Dark Ages, "someone" decided that humans don't need to have free will, that it is too dangerous. Then came the Renaissance and the Enlightenment and. Humans did so well, that we were given free will back. Enter WWI, WWII, and the Cold War. Good-bye free will again.

With this premise in mind, the movie opens with David Norris losing the election for United States Senate. He goes into the mens bathroom to rehearse his concession speech. Elise is in the mens bathroom hiding from security. She makes David laugh and inspires him at a crutial moment in his life. They were "fated" to meet. But, they are never "supposed to" meet again.

Later, David is on his way to a new job. The "free will police" are "supposed to" make him spill his coffee by 7:05 AM, so that David will miss the bus and therefor also miss seeing Elise. They fail. David is to discover that the people who determine "fate" are a powerful group, don't enjoy being thwarted, and have ways of making you comply with the Chairman's "plan." David and Elise will use coincidences, guile, and devotion to fight against predestination in this Harry-Potter-meets-Big-Brother film, modeled on the Philip K. Dick short story, "Adjustment Team." The ending is not what you'll expect.

Stars: Matt Damon from "Good Will Hunting" and Emily Blunt from "The Devil Wears Prada"

Genre: Action, Romance, Science Fiction

Year: 2011

Inspiration: 1954 short story by Philip K. Dick titled "Adjustment Team"

This movie has a slow build-up to the major plot line. The first ten minutes introduce the characters, but do nothing to explain the predestination and fate complexities that later plague David and Elise. Based on those first ten minutes, a viewer would believe the movie is a political romance, and that is not close whatsoever. Pay attention throughout to catch the subtleties of the plot; once those first ten minutes have passed, the movie is packed with scenes that you don't need to miss in order to keep track of the rules of how the Adjustment Bureau ("Free will police") work.

I have recommended this movie to family and friends many times. Reactions have ranged from "WOW!" to "thought-provoking," but all have been positive. Each time I have a chance to watch this film with someone, I do. Again and again, the movie reveals something new to me through the eyes of another person. I still recall the first time. The last half hour was full of unexpected craziness, and the conclusion wass nothing I would have predicted.

The religious undertones have various interpretations. A person can watch the movie simply for fun, or one can scan the dialog and inferences for hidden meaning. Researching the original "Adjustment Team" story will help in the determination of the movie's possible underlying message.

Read the original Philip K. Dick short story in...

Adjustment Team and Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick

Another movie based on a Philip K. Dick short story is...

Minority Report (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition)
on February 18, 2013
Do we control our destinies; do we have freedom of choice; or does our omnipotent and omniscient God and his band of angels - the Chairman and his Adjustment Bureau - sometimes step in and predestine the affairs of men? Interesting question, that has been debated by Christians and Jews - perhaps the followers of other religions too - since time immemorial. In this compelling, well crafted film, Matt Damon, as David Norris, is an up-and-coming politician - a Hollywood liberal democrat of course - who has been predestined by the Chairman and controlled by Adjustment Bureau caseworkers to accomplish bigger and better things...to include the penultimate goal of many politicians - the Presidency. He meets a young woman - Emily Blunt as Elise Sellas - after losing his first Senate race, who encourages him to be honest in his campaigning. That meeting is also planned by the Adjustment Bureau; but Elise and David fall in love...and that is not in the Bureau's plans. Elise's destiny is to be a great dancer and her chances will be diminished if she and David become a couple; and David's chances for the presidency will be ruined. That will set the stage for what is a beautiful love story, combined w/some excellent sci/fi...fiction it may be, but if you believe in religious fate, it is altogether plausible. Blunt and Damon have superb on-screen chemistry and both deliver outstanding performances. Damon, of course, is the veteran of many such performances; and while Blunt is considered an up-and-comer by comparison, she also has some superb performances on her resume..."The Young Victoria", The Devil Wears Prada", etc. Anthony Mackie, John Slattery and Terence Stamp also deliver excellent performances as Bureau caseworkers. Excellent film; highly recommended.
on March 5, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies. When I bought a lightly used version I was expecting one for at home use. This is a former rental and has no special features available. The movie plays fine, but the case and disk say rental all over them. If this matters to you please check the fine print before buying.

Great movie about love, destiny, and the choices we make in life. Are all of them really our choices? In this movie there is a master plan for all of humanity handed down to the "Adjustment Bureau" from "the Chairman". David accidentally discovers that this whole other side of reality exists and that they direct the fate of all of us with little nudges to keep us on course. The problem is when he falls in love with a woman who is not on his plan and the bureau has to act to keep them apart. What would you do to be with the one you loved? What are we all capable of? And are winners and losers chosen?

Deep, thought provoking movie on the nature of existence and what it means to be free.
on June 24, 2017
cannot find enough great words in my vocabulary to describe this movie, inspirational, totally on point, so well acted..... the list goes on.
on March 7, 2014
I am a sucker for a good romantic movie plus it also has a supernatural element in the persons of the Adjusters. Their job is to make sure that people follow the predetermined course set for their lives by divine authority. If people go off course then the Adjusters work behind the scene to nudge them back in line. Matt Damon plays a politician running for office in NYC and Emily Blunt is a dancer (not exotic). These two people meet in a hotel mens room after Damon loses an election bid. The chemistry is electric.This is a match seemingly made in heaven. Matt Damon accidentally finds out about the Adjusters. Who inform him that they can not be a couple. Their paths go in different directions. With this setup its him against the Adjusters. Damon trying very hard to get together with Emily and the Adjusters trying just as hard to see that they don't. Who will win? I recommend this film. Its light and without excessive language or violence.