Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,694 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,357 reviews
on April 18, 2016
What an incredible writer is Lee Child. Here is the 16th in the series and they just get better.

The Affair is absolutely priceless and does that thing: It really makes you think. This is a long book, giving one lots of time to think things out; and lots of time for him to mislead you.

I love a long story. As far as I am concerned, if it's 300-400 pages, all the better. Because I realise it's not the denouement that's the most important; although it is important of course; it is the process that offers the most satisfaction. The opportunity to really think things out for oneself, that's the real importance.

Like all his others, again Mr. Child gives us a very well thought out novel. For aficionados of this genre, you will enjoy every satisfaction.
on August 3, 2015
If a whodunit is still a page-turner on the second read, it’s a good book. The Affair is a good book. Even though it’s my second time reading it, even though I knew how it would end, I still found myself turning pages late into the night until I finished it.

The Affair is set in 1997. Major Jack Reacher is an active duty soldier and an experienced investigator in the military police. In response to the Clinton Era peace dividend, the U.S. Army is winnowing the ranks, and Reacher’s own career is on the line.

He is ordered to investigate under cover the murder of a woman near an Army base in Mississippi. Members of a special ops group are considered suspects, but the Pentagon wants to make sure the blame is placed anywhere except on its soldiers. The case is political suicide, professionally speaking, but like a good soldier, Reacher takes it anyway.

And solves it. I won’t reveal the solution, but readers of Lee Child’s previous novels will now understand why Reacher left the service and began his peregrinations across the American heartland.

The Affair is the fifteenth novel in Lee Child’s Reacher series, but its events precede the other fourteen. You can read the series in publication order, starting with The Killing Floor, whose events are foreshadowed in The Affair. Or you can start with The Affair. Either way, you’re in for classic Lee Child—even the second time around.
on December 27, 2013
Like I just said in a review of a Grippando novel, with his and Lee Child's novels, by the time I get to write my review, everybody else has already said what I wanted to say. That didn't stop me then, and it's not going to stop me now!

This extremely exciting novel, set in the late '90's but with knowledge of the events of 2001, takes us back to the time when Jack Reacher was still a Major in the Army. He's sent to Mississippi to do some clandestine investigating into a murder committed near an Army base, supplementing the investigation being conducted on the base itself. His charge is to make sure that the Army is clear of blame, and to make sure that local law enforcement doesn't try to pin in on someone on the base. The local sheriff immediately figures out who he is and why he's there, and then has sex with him six times in the next several days. Did I mention that the sheriff is a beautiful female former Marine?

Anyway, in true Lee Child fashion, Reacher outthinks and outfights all kinds of bad guys, saves the day for the Army's reputation, and solves the crime(s). Problem is, he kind of ticks off the Army base while he's doing his heroics, so instead of kudos being bestowed up him (he was expecting a medal or a memorial), he's put on the involuntary separation list from the Army. His commanding officer could have pulled strings to get him off the list, but his name would have been mud for the rest of his career. So the novel ends with him submitting his resignation, stepping into the road, and sticking out his thumb....

This is a really good novel, certainly one of Child's best, and it's refreshing that it doesn't start out with Reacher getting off a bus and stepping into the middle of a coincidental international situation. Wherever you are in reading the Jack Reacher series, you should read this one next.

And then, if you're reading the Kindle version, you should read the bonus short story "Second Son". The intro says " 'The Affair' took you back to the beginning, when Jack Reacher left the Army. Now go back even further."

It's 1974, and Jack (13), brother Joe (15), dad Stan (a Captain in the Marines) and mom Josie have just arrived in Okinawa, like the fortieth place they've lived in during Stan's military career. Even at age 13, Jack "was always called by his last name only. No one knew why, but the family was Stan and Josie, Joe and Reacher, and it always had been." And, even at 13, he's already beating up the bigger kids, kissing the girls, and solving mysteries for the Marines Intelligence officers and MP's. Like the latter-day Reacher, his intuitive leaps are both outlandish and defensible, once he explains everything. After reading this short story, I wanted to read an entire book about Reacher's high school years!

A delightful dessert on top of the epicurean dinner "The Affair"!
on March 24, 2017
Something is going on outside Fort Kelham, Mississippi. There has been a murder of a white woman and there is a possibility that the killer is a Ranger, posted at the Fort. Reacher is sent undercover to find out what's going on. He meets the local Sheriff, who happens to have been a Marine MP, and she sees through him immediately. They join forces, in a manner of speaking, and he finds out that there were two other murders of young women in the previous nine months. But these women, brilliantly beautiful, were black and not much was done about investigating their deaths.
It doesn't take long for Reacher to figure out that all three women were murdered elsewhere from where they had been dumped, and how they were brutally killed.
There is more at stake than "just" a murder, there are high stakes involved. The matter is highly sensitive and is being controlled from way up the food chain.
on October 10, 2011
I normally read 5-10 books at a time, half on the kindle, the other half in regular books. (Depends on the pricing. If the hardback is within $1-2 of the kindle, I buy the normal version so I can pass it on or donate it to the library. I also tend to avoid kindle purchases over $9.99.) With a big exception for the Lee Child Reacher series. I want it as quickly as possible and in as convenient a format as possible and I will overpay for the kindle edition. I also suspend my "serial reading" and settle in to his books for the duration.

Why?

He is my "mind candy". The Reacher character is great, if a bit unbelievable at times, and the stories are suspenseful and clever and move right along. I have read each in the series but have to put this one near the top. A nice rebound from the last two which I felt were not up to the standard of the others.

A good place to start for those new to the series. Once you finish this prequel, you will enjoy going back to #1 and moving on from there.
on March 21, 2016
After taking a break from Lee Child's Jack Reacher books I picked up with the The Affair where I last left off. This novel takes Reacher back to when he was a Military Police Officer, trying to solve a crime near an army base. He works with the local sheriff, who just happens to be a beautiful, former military police officer (funny how that works out), to determine if the crime committed was a local hoodlum, or an Army officer.

The story had some interesting plot elements, and the description of a series of interconnected crimes was detailed, but easy to understand. My reason for three stars is because the pacing and randomness of the story just seemed off. Pages and pages of simple descriptive narrative happen throughout the book, but yet the entire story climaxes in about 20 pages. Reacher dukes it out three times with some local backwoods thugs, but after the final bout I never got the sense it was over. I kept waiting for the actual payoff, which never occurred. Probably my biggest complaint was, the story investigation centers around some really heinous crimes, crimes of the worst sort. Yet, throughout the entire book I never got a real sense of the motive for the crimes, or how sleazy the eventual perpetrator was.

However, if you like occasional violence, and occasional steamy, train ridden sex scenes played out in your Jack Reacher novels, this is the one for you.
on May 23, 2014
Lee Child is an exceptional talent. His "Reacher" novels show strong research into weapons, locales, military culture, and fascinating plots - these are classics, and I have read almost every one. But "The Affair" reveals a new facet of Child's talents: comedy. The verbal pictures he draws of Reacher and the local female sheriff having sex as close to a noisy, vibrating train as they can get is nothing if not hilarious. This work gives comic relief at tense moments in the story, and many a laugh to go along
with a great plot. Child is one of my favorite authors, and I enjoyed this book immensely.
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2011
I am a long-time Jack Reacher fan, so naturally when the advance word came out about "The Affair", I pre-ordered it in record time. I held off reading it until this week, while I was on vacation, anticipating this book would be perfect to make the air travel fly by...(sorry.) Now I must confess that my standards for this sort of story may be higher than most readers', as I am a current US Army CID Special Agent, former Army combat arms officer (left as a Major, just like Jack Reacher), and a retired civilian law enforcement officer. I had noted serious inaccuracies in most of those subject matter areas in Lee Child's previous Reacher novels, but since they didn't detract from the story too much, I let 'em go. Unfortunately, "The Affair" is almost entirely based on CID, Army, and law enforcement activities, and so the story was completely implausible. (I don't mean things like when Reacher beats up pairs, or squads of local miscreants...that's why Reacher is such a cool character!)
I won't detail the long list of nits which I picked. I just wish Lee Child would have done a lot more research, or perhaps had a real Army officer and/or CID Agent actually read the draft before it was submitted for publication. It would have greatly improved the story, at least for me!
on March 16, 2014
I've read every Jack Reacher book Lee Child has written. They were all good. Some were great. "61 Hours" broke my heart. When I finished it, I walked into the office where my husband was working, with tears in my eyes, and said "I think Child has killed Jack Reacher?" Then I cried. That book was what I mean by great. As I read and realized what Child appeared to be doing, I got cold and as I said, my heart began to break. At the end of "The Affair," I smiled. That was good.
on September 30, 2011
Fans of Lee Child/Jack Reacher will love this book, and new readers couldn't have a better place to start. I first discovered Jack Reacher late in the series with 61 Hours, and I liked it so much I went back and read every book in order (the publisher helpfully numbers them on Kindle so you don't have to guess). As a West Point grad and former Army Ranger, I'm impressed with Lee Child's insights into the military and his character development. As a reader, I'm always impressed with his smooth writing style and fast paced stories.

The Affair is a finely woven story full of intrigue, set in a small town outside of a remote Mississippi Army post. Reacher is sent into town undercover to keep tabs on a murder investigation, and quickly meets the gorgeous chief of police. This is familiar to Lee Child fans, but once again, he pulls it off flawlessly. It's also the second Jack Reacher novel written in first person, and reminded me of Brian Haig's protagonist Sean Drummond- also an Army major sent in to investigate various crimes- although Reacher is less of a smart-ass and much more likely to bang heads and break legs along the way. (If you're a Lee Child fan and haven't read Brian Haig, you should!).

Throughout the book, Lee Child does a fantastic job keeping the suspense going. Several times when it seems everything is almost wrapped up, Reacher keeps pulling at threads until another revelation appears. It's not as action packed as some Reacher novels, but it's definitely one of the best.

Having read every other Reacher novel, I was also very impressed with the way the author casually intertwines elements that fit in later books. For example, Reacher tries calling his brother, who is on assignment in Georgia- which folds neatly into the plot of The Killing Floor (book #1 in the series). He also obliquely introduces Leon Garber and Francis Neagley, characters who are prominent in later books.

If you're already a Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan, you'll love this book. If you haven't read Lee Child yet, The Affair is a perfect place to start. Just be prepared to get hooked!