Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 2, 2015
Very insightful book and story. If you're at all interested in the Sports Industry you would enjoy the story of Leigh Steinberg. I had the pleasure to attend his traveling seminar program, "The Agent Academy" and his career is beyond comparison. I learned a lot from him and this book can give you a glimpse into the Sports Agency industry. Its fascinating to read about Leigh's rise to the top and how he truly reinvented the sports agent industry. The Hardcover version is great, it makes a cool addition to my bookshelf as well.
on June 15, 2014
I was hoping for some interesting stories about the behind the scenes action in pro sports but this fell short. Instead its a rather arrogant recount of a man who portends to have great humility yet writes on an on about how he single handedly let the civil rights movement, only is interested in representing athletes so they can give to charity, and how he never really cared about being the celebrity he became. He has no doubt led a unique life but this seemed slanted rather than a fully honest account he claims to give and missed the point of why people would read the book- not because they care so much about the agent but because they want to learn interesting , behind the scenes things about their favorite athletes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 8, 2014
This is a solid book. Leigh Steinberg revolutionized the sports agency business. From the mid 70s with his first client UCal QB Steve Bartkowski who was only slightly younger than Steinberg to the 2000s, Leigh Steinberg was the Go To Guy. Agent who controlled the QB position. This book is very interesting in providing the backstory to his rise to fame, his philosophy on running the agency, his many relationships with athletes and specific stories of player negotiations. He eventually transcended player representation bridging into multimedia and ownership.

But this book is at it's best just recounting how he got in the business, how he grew it and how he negotiated it. I had some dealings with his agency. As a CPA I interviewed to handle the finances for Walter Lewis, an AL QB who signed a million dollar contract with the USFL in 1983. We were selected by Steinberg's partner, Mike Sullivan. I specifically remember a year later when Mike called announcing he was leaving. That period is covered well in this book and needless to say, Steinberg felt mistreated by his former partner. Mike was a real pro I enjoyed meeting but I had no involvement with Leigh.

If you are interested in pro football and the agency business, grab this book and read it! But there is another part of Leigh's story and there have been newspaper articles that go into further detail of his alcoholism which broke Steinberg completely and ruined his reputation with many clients. But as you would expect of a marketing person, that is somewhat glossed over. Yes, it's covered. But relatively quickly and always with an angle to make him the hero. That's my only complaint with this book. Steinberg is a shell of his former self in the agency business but you would never know it form reading this. In some respects I wonder if he wrote this because he needs any money he can get.

Irrespective to my ramblings and guesses, I thoroughly enjoyed this read and with the caveats mentioned can definitely recommend it.
on February 5, 2014
This book was extremely interesting and would be a great read for anyone interested in the business of sports. The in depth look into contract negotiations, the life of players and agents and the personalities of owners and GMs was fascinating. The best thing about Mr. Steinberg was that even though he was the biggest and best agent he wasn't in it for the money. He was interested most in helping others, improving lives and making a difference in his community. He is a role model and his perseverance through his alcohol problems further demonstrate that. I couldn't put this book down!
on December 14, 2014
I really enjoyed this book book. It was very interesting to hear about the ins and the outs of negotiations. I do feel like Leigh took a lot of credit for things that happened that he probably was just on a committee for and he made it seem like it was him who figured out all sorts of world problems. This was a very good read though. Leigh Steinberg was clearly involved in a lot of NFL moments that have changed the course of the sport.
on February 24, 2014
Steinberg has lived an incredible life. So it is really interesting and it gives us a glimpse into what life as a big time sports agent is like. But Steinberg is a very classy guy and he doesn't really give a lot of gossip and go into some of the dirty things I am sure he has seen in his career. He does it a little bit with Ryan Leaf, but for the most part he talks about the clients he likes and a few negotiations and leaves out the clients I am sure made him earn his commission.
on February 25, 2014
Leigh Steinberg is the original Jerry Maguire. He tells some really interesting stories and sometimes, i wish he didn't try so hard to repair his reputation and show what a straight shooter he was. Maybe he was. I wish there were more stories about the side dealings in professional sports and the shadiness of the sports business. Overall, a great read, and it's cool to see some of the iconic names like Warren Moon, Steve Young, etc. be mentioned in the book.
on March 11, 2014
I read this book within 2-3 days. I thought it was ok. I liked the in depth stories no one knows about. I think if he added a few more of those I would have enjoyed it better.

I have nothing bad to say about the book and took away a few good things. It made me decide to purchase Leigh's other book "Winning with Integrity".
on November 29, 2014
Very interesting read
on April 4, 2015
Could have been a good book if Leigh wasn't more interested in himself other than his experiences. I know it's about him but it kinda shows off the egotistical nature inherent in the agents...I am a huge NFL fan but know that he doesn't know how to write and has poor ability to understand what the fan would like to hear. Stay away...