BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 12, 2016
This is an excellent book for those who are unfamiliar with agile concepts. The author provides very practical advice on general best practices. This book is focused on "agile" (lowercase "a") rather than "Agile" (uppercase "A"), i.e., instead of prescribing a particular methodology, the author describes different possible approaches, but advocates doing whatever appears to make the most sense from an agile perspective given the particulars of a team's work.

The author's style of writing is more enjoyable than other books on agile because he presents the material from several angles, provides nice visuals, and writes in a lighthearted manner. The Audible version is great. I liked it so much that I purchased the book. I've re-read it several times.

I'm not a software developer, but I am able to apply the concepts from the first 3/4 of the book to most of my project-related work.
on October 15, 2016
I found the material on this book edifying and easy to understand. This book stays away from many of the technical details of the practices it covers (such as TDD and Continuous Integration); for more information on Test Driven Development or Continuous Integration, I recommend much further reading. Use this book as a starting point, not a source of compressive information on the subject.

One does not need to be a developer to appreciate the contents of this book. In fact, most of the insights in Agile Samurai would probably be more helpful for managers and nontechnical workers overseeing technical projects than for developers themselves.
on February 25, 2013
I have read many books about Agile project management but this is the most practical book I have read so far. In addition the book covers all aspects of an Agile software development project: from estimating and planning via burn-down charts and working agreements to continuous integration and test driven development. It is like the best User Stories you can get: a complete vertical slice through your software development project from a project management perspective.

The style is very casual and reflects the Agile culture. The real take-away is the Inception Deck as originally developed within ThoughtWorks (note: yes, I have worked for them too). Many Agile (Scrum) projects kick-off without asking these 10 tough questions and are forced to fix more misunderstandings down the track.

One reviewer refers to this book as "Starter course for agile managers" and indeed the material is lightweight and simple to read. However in real-life this is very hard to master. The simplicity of the book therefore reminds me to stick to the basics when handling the day-to-day complexity.
on August 16, 2014
Umpteen websites, videos, meetings, and several books into 'learning agile' a colleague recommended this book. I tore though it in less than a day. It clarifies practices and jargon, cutting to the core of how to start doing what matters most: delivering working solutions of value to the customer and stakeholders. I have a practical and do-able list of things to do to get our agile project moving.

Wherever you are on the agile spectrum, picking this up and giving it a read is going to be worthwhile. You may not agree with everything or be able to put it all into practice, but if you pay attention to what the author is getting at, you will have to think about how and why you do what you do the way you do.
on June 27, 2016
I also have the audio version which I often play in the car on the way to work. I like the simplicity in the way that information is presented without the extra verbiage. The humour is a little cheesy at times, but that's OK it's meant to be. I would rate this as a great Quick Reference book.
on April 27, 2015
I'm new to development, so I can't really comment on how groundbreaking this book is. I don't think I'm using it in the appropriate context to use the text (it's a web development class textbook), so it's a little hard to appreciate what it says. I will say it's a pretty easy and fast read, and its concepts are quite solid. I do think the interior of the book could have been designed a bit...neater, though. It's not the most fun to look at, though the author did a good job of making what could be a boring and uninteresting topic somewhat entertaining.
on November 23, 2014
Is a good refresher for agile but does not address some of the issues this methodology has when used to implement large commercial systems. The book is also very developer centric so does not really address the importance of the analyst in the requirements gathering process. Note most companies adopt a hybrid of agile because many features of agile are not aligned with corporate structures etc.
on July 31, 2013
This book is jam packed with everything you need to know on the get go with regards to how to work in an Agile Environment. It's easy to follow and easy to understand. The conversations at the end of the chapter really clarifies points and questions that would come up in my mind every now and then. This book has all the information you need to begin your journey in the agile movement. That being said, don't expect very in depth discussions on certain topics. However, the author has graciously cited references for further reading if a topic does catch your fancy.

Overall, I think every developer would benefit a great deal from reading this.
on September 29, 2014
I was very new to Agile concepts before picking up this book based on coworker recommendations. After my first read through, I can't believe there would be a better place to start. I often find this book open as a reference when discussing the team's agile journey. As with any book, your mileage will vary, but I found the approach to be very effective without being heavy handed. The almost whimsical style seems to fit agile well.
on March 25, 2013
I've been working on Agile projects for around a year. I picked this up simply to get a different viewpoint on how others 'do' agile. The book has some good insights, and in particular had good advice around working along side non-agile projects and managing expectations of non-agile customers.

The programming aspects were conveyed in a solid manner, and the writer did a good job of conveying the intention of agile without imposing a one-size-fits-all philosophy. Recommended for starters and those moving to a different role within agile projects.