Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 24, 2016
I purchased and began reading this book 2 years ago and, for whatever reason, I couldn't get into it. I found it incredibly dull and tedious and finally gave up halfway through.

A few weeks ago I took my mother to a dental appointment and opened my Kindle to see what I had available while I waited. I decided to give this book another try and started from the beginning, as I couldn't remember anything from what I read previously. I'm not sure what was different this time around, but I was completely engrossed and my 2 hour wait flew by! I continued to read whenever I found a chance and finished it within a few days. I now find myself constantly thinking of the story and relating it to my own life, as well as my friends and family.

It's a short and very simple story, but definitely worth reading!
316 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on September 26, 2017
To put it simply, this book changed my life. The author is overtly religious, and even though I am not, I admire the messages of this story in my own way. I think that this book would have had a profound influence on me no matter what state (good or bad) my life was in when I read it, and I would recommend it to anyone. There were many parts that I read over two or three times -- not because I didn't understand, but I was so amazed that I found myself wanting to experience a passage again.
The vendor that I purchased from, Bullet's' Bonanza's, was extremely kind and professional, including a personal note in the package. I would gladly do business with them again.
19 people found this helpful
on September 3, 2015
Here's how my reading of this book came about: I saw a quote on Pinterest that I really liked, found out the source of that quote was this book, ergo I ordered this book.

I was incredibly excited to read it (based on nothing more than the intense appeal the quote had on me). I read the first several pages and was like, "Well, this is an easy, simple little tale," but it wasn't all that appealing to me, so I marked my page, set the book down, and read a different book. Now, the magic comes here: while reading the other book (which was good) I was plagued by something I had read in the first several pages of The Alchemist, and the very fact alone that I was being haunted by words from a book I had labeled as a "simple little tale" told me that I really had no choice but to read it, after all, we must "listen to our heart," right?

So I read it- I read it, and I loved it. Then I read it again. And I still loved it. I loved it because it spoke to me on a soul level, and because for such a "simple little tale" it is filled to the brim with a deepness that, though simple, may be a lifetime in getting to the bottom of.
31 people found this helpful
on October 12, 2017
Great read! This book is one of the most influential books I've ever read and I liked how it was a story about an adventure, but also incorporated spirituality and self-improvement. I would most definitely recommend this book to a friend or anyone looking for clarity throughout their life journey. I feel as if the book provided me with a positive insight on how to live life to the fullest. One specific aspect of the book that stuck with me was the idea that once we decide to search for our purpose in life, the whole universe will help us. I was also able to recognize that many individuals will struggle is recognizing what their purpose is. It is okay for your Personal Legend to change based on the events that occur throughout your life, but it is important to always be working toward and striving to achieve a goal. The Alchemist is a good reminder that if we, as individuals, do not seek to find our purpose or destiny due to fear, we will forever be unsatisfied. The one thing I love about this book is that it can be geared toward all ages. You are never too young to understand that we should listen to our heart and chase after our dreams. Lastly, I find it so interesting that this text was so beautifully translated from Portuguese and has the ability to powerfully deliver a message in almost 70 other languages. The power of words is amazing! Overall, a great read and I plan to reread this book in the future!
10 people found this helpful
on December 17, 2016
I have heard a lot of positive things about this book but couldn't bring myself to read it. Curiosity got the best of me and I really enjoyed the book. I must say that it's more about the underlying story than the actual story itself. More like a fable where the deeper meaning comes after you have finished the book. Part of it stays with you but not necessarily the characters, more what the characters represented. This book would appeal to those who enjoy reading and discussing philosophical novels.
26 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2017
I'm in my second reading, and have already purchased two copies to send to friends. That should say it all. I recommend it to anyone with a "Seekers" heart.
12 people found this helpful
on September 23, 2017
I hate self help books. Many reviewers describe The Alchemist as a self help book. I think it depends at which end of life you are looking.

One philosophy is to live in the moment. The past is unchangeable, the future unknowing. The wise elders know this. The young dreamers, filled with ambition seeking to control the destiny...the future.

The lessons of life, if we are listening, are the core of who we are. Leave this world better than we found it.

This not a checklist on "how" to be happy. We have happiness within us all. It is not materialistic possessions that give us happiness, but the intangibles.

Quick easy read, get out of the fable mentality and apply the principle demonstrated. Stretch your mind.

Life is a beautiful thing.
12 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is a novel about a Shepard living in Spain who sets out on an adventure in Africa in order to seek his fortune. It is not lengthy. I read the book on Kindle while listening to an audiobook narrated by Jeremy Irons. As good as the book was, Mister Irons was really excellent and really added to my reading enjoyment.

I am not sure I completely understood some of the possible additional messages being conveyed. I am a daily Bible reader, and there are a lot of biblical references within this fine book. I really have no desire to risk the reading experience for anybody who has not yet read this book. But I think I can give an example without such risk. At some point a reader may read about some stones called "Urim and Thummin". In the event those names seem strange, that is straight from the Old Testament.

Now I wish to emphasize that I have no problem with that. It is just that I was not sure if this novel is meant as a modern secular morality story or it has a religious message. I read a lot of books that I am sure I do not fully understand. I intend to study this work further.

I am an American and feel that I definitely have not read enough international modern authors. I have been making a concerted effort to change that. Mister Coelho is from Brazil and I am really glad to have had an opportunity to read his work.

In summary, I liked this book very much for several reasons. I am not one to suggest spending extra money. However, the audiobook with Mister Irons narrating was really enjoyable to me. Thank You...
4 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2017
For a long time this book has been on everyone's list as a "must read". People talk about Paulo Coelho all over the world. But It didn't sound like the kind of book I would enjoy, so I avoided it. As it turned out, it wasn't. Having read most of the books on those lists I decided to try it again. I thought the story was rather childish. A good book for children, perhaps, full of life's lessons, which I have already learned or discarded as bull a long time ago. It was a fairy tale, nothing more and barely held my interest. Thank God it was short.
5 people found this helpful
on October 9, 2017
This is literally where it all began, my story intertwined so thoroughly with that of the young sheepherder that I was mesmerized and unable to put it down. If you look through my purchase list you will see I didn't stop here - I became obsessed with Paulo Coelho's work and have purchased almost all of his writings. This is my go to gift for all friends, acquaintances, and family members. Words that can be cherished a lifetime and continually brought back to throughout your journey. Do not hesitate to purchase this. SERIOUSLY! If you are on this page considering, BUY IT NOW. It will awaken pieces of you that you are certainly ready for. Welcome to the journey :)
9 people found this helpful