Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Ritter Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 8,411 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,143 reviews
on July 31, 2016
The Alchemist is a gripping narrative about a young Andalusian shepherd named Santiago and his journey to find the greatest treasure in the world. This charming story follows Santiago on his journey to Egypt, after having a recurring dream of finding treasure there. Santiago travels across great distances and encounters crazy adventures in his quest for gold. Little does he know that the ultimate treasure is actually found deep within.

This dream was so prophetic that Santiago genuinely believed this was his ultimate goal in life. After deciding to travel to a Romani fortune-teller in a nearby town to discover its meaning, a gypsy woman tells him that there is a treasure in the Pyramids in Egypt.

Towards the beginning of his journey, Santiago meets an old king, named Melchizedek, who advises him to sell his sheep in order to travel to Egypt. He also introduces the idea of a Personal Legend, stating that your Personal Legend, “is what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is.”

The Alchemist Physical CoverAlong the journey, Santiago meets an Englishman who is in search of an Alchemist and together they continue their search for treasure. As they travel through the Sahara desert, Santiago meets and falls in love with a beautiful Arabian woman named Fatima. After a brief period of time, Santiago asks Fatima to marry him, but she tells him that she will only marry him after he finds his treasures. Perplexed by this, Santiago later learns that true love will not stop one’s Personal Legend, and if it does, it is not true love.

Eventually Santiago meets a lone alchemist who teaches him about Personal Legends. He shares his wisdom that people want to find only the treasure of their Personal Legends but not the Personal Legend itself. The alchemist states,

“Those who don’t understand their Personal Legends will fail to comprehend their teachings.”

If you are looking for a book that will inspire courage, this is the one. No matter what your dream, goals or visions are, the universe will conspire to help you achieve the things you want, regardless of how insurmountable the task seems. You must live the life you truly desire to its fullest extent if you want to look back on a life having worth lived.

The essential message is that treasure is more worthy than gold.

Read more here: [...]
11 comment| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2016
I purchased and began reading this book 2 years ago and, for whatever reason, I couldn't get into it. I found it incredibly dull and tedious and finally gave up halfway through.

A few weeks ago I took my mother to a dental appointment and opened my Kindle to see what I had available while I waited. I decided to give this book another try and started from the beginning, as I couldn't remember anything from what I read previously. I'm not sure what was different this time around, but I was completely engrossed and my 2 hour wait flew by! I continued to read whenever I found a chance and finished it within a few days. I now find myself constantly thinking of the story and relating it to my own life, as well as my friends and family.

It's a short and very simple story, but definitely worth reading!
11 comment| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2017
I hate self help books. Many reviewers describe The Alchemist as a self help book. I think it depends at which end of life you are looking.

One philosophy is to live in the moment. The past is unchangeable, the future unknowing. The wise elders know this. The young dreamers, filled with ambition seeking to control the destiny...the future.

The lessons of life, if we are listening, are the core of who we are. Leave this world better than we found it.

This not a checklist on "how" to be happy. We have happiness within us all. It is not materialistic possessions that give us happiness, but the intangibles.

Quick easy read, get out of the fable mentality and apply the principle demonstrated. Stretch your mind.

Life is a beautiful thing.
on September 23, 2017
Sooo rambling & drawn out. Never finished it & donated to library. I Love transformational, insightful, inspirational books, but this just irritated me as a chore to try to finish. So many other inspirational books out there. I do successfully practice the Alchemy of creating your own reality & positive life with effective beliefs & practices, so I embrace the concept. Maybe the book will appeal to others & inspire, but it's style & story left me bored.
on March 16, 2017
"The Alchemist" employs a fable-like language that has won the author recognition around the globe. Coelho seldom uses complex allegories, metaphors, or idioms. His style captures not only the imagination but also the hearts of his readers. His message is also very simple: happiness lies in finding ourselves. Simply put, Paulo Coelho is an author in search of himself, and his readers learn about themselves through his search.
on August 24, 2013
I'd heard other people talk about this book for years and dismissed it as not my type of thing. But recently I went through a very tough time personally and I was looking for something to give me some focus or help me to put things in perspective. So almost reluctantly, I came across this book on Amazon and decided to give it a go. What could it hurt right? I'm so glad I did. Sceptical as I was, I actually found myself drawn in and something in the story began to resonate with me. It hasn't led me to change my life and it hasn't made the difficulty of my personal life evaporate. But it has given me perspective and given me the strength to focus on the future and not be afraid to reach.

It is a beautifully written story, simple and engaging. It is a treasure of a book that I will hold onto forever and read again and again. Take a chance, open your mind to what might be. Be willing to take a chance and you never know, it might be right for you too.
on November 25, 2013
My rating for this book is more like 4 & 1/2 stars. I say that because of the peace and turmoil that it gave me as I read and reflected on my own journeys in this life.

What I enjoyed the most about the book is that for the most part is that it is very relative, and easy to understand. The author lets you explore another place in your mind without any guilt or fear. He also allows you to understand how important it is to know yourself, and appreciate important people that you meet in this life. It was an interesting experience of things already known mixed in with things needed to master.

What I didn't enjoy was the length of the book. It was over in a matter of hours for me. The author could have added about two hundred more pages easily. Still a very good read though, despite my urge to continue reading!
on May 15, 2014
There is so much about this treasure of a story that I want to tell about, talk about and revel in, but I fear I will give too much of the plot away by indulging myself. So, I instead will tell you whether or not this is the book for you.

If you are lacking direction in your life, buy this book. If you love coincidences with the philosophy that there are no such things as coincidences, buy this book. If you want comfort from knowing there is a power greater than you but have no interest in a story preaching religion, buy this book. If you need hope, buy this book. If you like tales of adventure, buy this book.

The Alchemist is a charming and short read that will leave you feeling like everything in your life is going to be OK after all. All you need to do is make a grab for the brass ring; no one will make the grab for you.
on January 11, 2016
In The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho uses diction, syntax, and the hero cycle to keep the pace of the book constant, and keep the reader intrigued. But, he does have a few flaws present in the book.
The Alchemist is a book about a boy named Santiago, who goes on an adventure to find his “Personal Legend” or treasure. Coelho uses the hero cycle to add more emphasis on the plot, which overall makes the story more entertaining. In the story, the Old King tells Santiago that “when someone wants to realize his or her Personal Legend,” he will “always [be] nearby.” (67) This is an example of atonement with the father, because the Old King’s closeness creates a father like figure in him, who is there to support Santiago. The hero cycle for me made the story more enjoyable and kept me reading. Also most of the book is him trying to obtain his Personal Legend, which is “what you have always wanted to accomplish.” (23)
Compared to other books I have read this year in my English class, this one was easier to follow in terms of diction. The language that Paulo Coelho uses in the novel overall is not too difficult to understand. Word choice is done very well, and lets the reader flow through the book at a constant pace. The diction also makes the book a novel for a wide range of readers. The hero cycle with the clean diction made the story very enjoyable.
While reading this book, I found that it was fairly easy to understand the passage, and that it was very inviting. Paulo Coelho structures the syntax of the book in an easy-to-understand format. Throughout the book, the syntax helps the reader understand where they are on the page, and it also positively affects the pace set by the diction in the book. Towards the middle of the novel, the boy says that “An army is coming,” and he knows because he “had a vision.” This dialogue is quickly followed up by a response from a camel driver, saying that “the desert fills men’s hearts with visions.” (104) The quick pace of dialogue keeps the book driving keeps the pace constantly in motion. The syntax made it easier for me to follow the story and follow which character was speaking and what they where feeling or doing.
Even though I enjoyed a great bit of the book, there was still another bit that I didn’t fully enjoy. At the beginning of the Alchemist, the book seems to go a slower speed then the rest of it. The first portion of the book has a lot to do with introducing Santiago, the plot, the setting, and more. There is a part in the story where it goes from page 35 to page 38 with very little dialogue, which I felt stopped progress of the story. The first part also has to do a lot with how he discovers his Personal Legend. It took me a little while longer to read the first part of the book then the rest because I was mostly bored while reading it. I also felt that there was more descriptive text than the rest of the book, which really dragged out the first part.
In conclusion, the book has lots of great traits and only a few bad ones. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend or anyone who enjoys reading about adventure.
on November 9, 2015
Replete with spiritual lessons, affirmations and "poster worthy" quotes that easily translate into actual life application. The language is simple as is the story line, but still an entertaining and worthwhile read. Coelho manages to teach spirituality through the adventures of a shepherd boy, without being religious. (There is a difference.)

It's insightful but not preachy. Truth students and people familiar with metaphysics will appreciate this work in large number. However, one needn't be either to understand and glean several positive take-aways after reading The Alchemist.