Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2016
The Alchemist is a gripping narrative about a young Andalusian shepherd named Santiago and his journey to find the greatest treasure in the world. This charming story follows Santiago on his journey to Egypt, after having a recurring dream of finding treasure there. Santiago travels across great distances and encounters crazy adventures in his quest for gold. Little does he know that the ultimate treasure is actually found deep within.

This dream was so prophetic that Santiago genuinely believed this was his ultimate goal in life. After deciding to travel to a Romani fortune-teller in a nearby town to discover its meaning, a gypsy woman tells him that there is a treasure in the Pyramids in Egypt.

Towards the beginning of his journey, Santiago meets an old king, named Melchizedek, who advises him to sell his sheep in order to travel to Egypt. He also introduces the idea of a Personal Legend, stating that your Personal Legend, “is what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is.”

The Alchemist Physical CoverAlong the journey, Santiago meets an Englishman who is in search of an Alchemist and together they continue their search for treasure. As they travel through the Sahara desert, Santiago meets and falls in love with a beautiful Arabian woman named Fatima. After a brief period of time, Santiago asks Fatima to marry him, but she tells him that she will only marry him after he finds his treasures. Perplexed by this, Santiago later learns that true love will not stop one’s Personal Legend, and if it does, it is not true love.

Eventually Santiago meets a lone alchemist who teaches him about Personal Legends. He shares his wisdom that people want to find only the treasure of their Personal Legends but not the Personal Legend itself. The alchemist states,

“Those who don’t understand their Personal Legends will fail to comprehend their teachings.”

If you are looking for a book that will inspire courage, this is the one. No matter what your dream, goals or visions are, the universe will conspire to help you achieve the things you want, regardless of how insurmountable the task seems. You must live the life you truly desire to its fullest extent if you want to look back on a life having worth lived.

The essential message is that treasure is more worthy than gold.

Read more here: [...]
11 comment| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 24, 2016
I purchased and began reading this book 2 years ago and, for whatever reason, I couldn't get into it. I found it incredibly dull and tedious and finally gave up halfway through.

A few weeks ago I took my mother to a dental appointment and opened my Kindle to see what I had available while I waited. I decided to give this book another try and started from the beginning, as I couldn't remember anything from what I read previously. I'm not sure what was different this time around, but I was completely engrossed and my 2 hour wait flew by! I continued to read whenever I found a chance and finished it within a few days. I now find myself constantly thinking of the story and relating it to my own life, as well as my friends and family.

It's a short and very simple story, but definitely worth reading!
11 comment| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 1, 2017
For a long time this book has been on everyone's list as a "must read". People talk about Paulo Coelho all over the world. But It didn't sound like the kind of book I would enjoy, so I avoided it. As it turned out, it wasn't. Having read most of the books on those lists I decided to try it again. I thought the story was rather childish. A good book for children, perhaps, full of life's lessons, which I have already learned or discarded as bull a long time ago. It was a fairy tale, nothing more and barely held my interest. Thank God it was short.
on June 29, 2016
An inspirational tale that I know I will come back to. I loved the ending!

I read this through Amazon Immersion Reading - reading the Kindle book while listening to the Audible audiobook at the same time. And Jeremy Irons narrated the audiobook. Great choice for this book.
on June 24, 2016
One of my favorite books! I had an older version of this book that I read years ago but somehow got lost over time. Decided to go with buying this newer version instead of repurchasing one of the older versions and I just love the feel of it. I love the kind of ripped/worn pages, the cover, the back - the physical book itself has a lot of character that goes well with the amazing story. It looks great and feels good to hold. I will be very disappointed if I lose this copy.
on December 25, 2016
This book may be one of the most though provoking books I have personally read. The outlook on life learned by the main character is empowering and a full and rich way to live. I would recommend this book to anyone on their life journey, searching for answers. At 24, I feel like this book gave me perfect insight on how to look at life in a happy and worthwhile adventure.
on July 16, 2014
The story is inspiring and surprisingly simple to follow. I enjoyed the several resounding themes of universal languages and emotions. In several places, Santiago responded to things he was told or presented with in very unrealistic ways; but his impressively pensive responses to the overly mystical, yet wise language used by EVERY important person he encounters doesn't hinder th story's progress too much. The first conversation with the old king would have made me very uncomfortable, and Coelho didn't explore Santiago's feelings enough in those moments of awkward, hyper-spiritual conversation.
Overall though, this book is unlike anything I have ever read and I would recommend it to any of my friends who like to read. It would be especially enjoyable for someone who doesn't much care for any particular religious faction but who is still searching for God outside of the "church" or "mosque" or any other kind of "holy" building.
on June 18, 2016
This is one of those classic books you can read over and over again, and the author betrays a message that has the power to really help change a persons mindset towards his faith, spirituality, and ability to navigate throughout life. The book is inspirational because the Author did not sell well for an entire year but he really believed in his book and stuck with it instead of giving up hope. He truly embodies his own message and the book is not overly complicated to read.

This is another book I really enjoyed that centered around having faith in yourself

A flower without a vase: The tale of of a woman who found faith, love, and peace through God (The Light Series Book 1)
on February 9, 2016
This book is very inspiring and what I really needed when I read it to motivate myself with my multiple endeavors. The book shows how many people chase for meaning and things far and wide overlooking what is right in front of them. Its important message is to keep accord with your heart no matter where it takes you. The book contains many impactful insights scattered throughout the book to keep you engaged.
on December 14, 2017
Another pretentious fable is just another pseudo-philosophical book. This rather short book seems to drag on forever. It keeps hinting at some great insight and secret to happiness. Just another "think positive" book. You'd do better to read one of Ayn Rand's philosophy books, Aristotle or Dostoevsky.