Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon March 12, 2010
This book was a total delight. Reading The Alchemyst was similar to watching the very first Indiana Jones movie...sort of sheer delight and awe and excitement. Josh and Sophie...quite ordinary twins...are suddenly thrust into an unknown world. This book had just about everything in it that could be imagined into a fantasy of this nature. It was sort of classic good against evil although sometimes I was a bit unsure of who was good and who was evil and often my ideas about that changed. It was a wonderful book to read. It was chasing and trying to be safe and then not being safe and always constant running running running. I hated when it ended but was delighted to pick up the second and third book in this series as I anxiously wait for the fourth. When I put the third book down after I finished it...I immediately raced to Michael Scott's website to find out how much longer I would have to wait to be in this adventure again. Trust me...I have already waited far too long.

The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
3 helpful votes
on August 6, 2017
I love books that are based in history. When you can mix magic and history that is even better. I've been meaning to read this for years. It did not disappoint. I can't wait to start the next one.
on May 31, 2016
Several friends recommended this, but it turns out it's too much of a Young Adult novel for my taste. I have tried to figure out what it is that leaves me mildly unsatisfied with YA fiction, and I just don't know what it is. Even authors whose work I love, like Elizabeth George, leave me with that sort of empty feeling when they write for young adults (I'm thinking here of George's Whidbey Island series). The most interesting parts of *The Alchemyst* were those drawn from the historical figure it is based on, Nicholas Flamel. Best I can say is that it is well written, and belongs in the top drawer of YA fiction featuring witches and sorcerers.
on September 1, 2017
I remember forever ago when I was beginning middle school, my English teacher recommended this book to me when he noticed I was a book and fiction enthusiast. It feels so nice to read it again. It's just as amazing as I remember although the excitement had faded away, I'm still very grateful for the mild sense of nostalgia it gave me.
on October 21, 2017
Great book to get you entranced and wanting more. Fairly quick read but worth the time and effort look forward to reading the rest of the series.
on June 20, 2013
While I must admit that this book does a good job of telling an entertaining story, it's tailored to a younger audience. The characters are a bit over dramatic and portrayed at the extreme of their respective stereotypical spectrum of good or evil. The author falls into some noticeable habits that can become annoying. For example the characters often seem to say things in a calm voice in times of extreme danger/stress which the other characters always interpret as being even more scary/forceful. The author, in the second half of the book appears to be attempting to copying the plot from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia where one of the children is going to betray the other. In conclusion, I'm glad I read it, I'm disappointed to pay 10 for a book which was probably only worth 3. Live and learn.
on July 25, 2011
First of all this is considered a young adult series. It is aimed to the tweens/teens and 20 somethings. So keep that in mind when you are scoffing at the pop references and dialogue. The author is establishing some familiarity and recognition to our current "pop' culture. Kids (people) like and need to identify with in some way or another.

Second, I read a lot of books. I have read a lot of terrible books that were edited and written poorly. I just don't see it with this series. There are a couple mistakes on the kindle version but it was easy enough to let them go and read the books for what they were. Again, I don't see the validation in saying these books were written "terribly" enough for people to stop reading them. It seems a little excessive. To each there own.

That being said.. I am 36 and thought these books were a hoot. I started this book and kept going, one right after another.

I love how he intertwined real characters from history and made them into real and believable characters. The story is a little out there but hey, it is about magic and immortals and 7 headed sea monsters!
The imagery and imagination it provokes is just a really fun time. I even enjoyed the fact that there was no swearing or sexy stuff or even excessive violence, it's full of drama, mystery, battles and suspense and stands on its own without them.

My only criticism is that he does introduce A LOT of characters, by the end its a little frustrating because he switches between times, worlds and characters quite a bit. However, it didn't make me like it any less.

Books of the series in order
1. The Alchemyst
2. The Magician
3. The Sorceress
4. The Necromancer
5. The Warlock
6. The Enchantress (coming 2012)

I loved these books. They were a great casual read.
on August 28, 2015
The Alchemist was amazing! In one book the author integrated every type of being, human and otherwise in one exciting and condensed story. I knew the characters had to possess some personal reality for the author because they were defined so completely. Per usual, I read the authors notes and was spellbound with the historical data of her two main characters and their rich and mysterious lives they lead in the 14th — 15th centuries. No matter what your genre preference is, you will find yourself loving this story and only wanting more. Don't miss out on the ride. This is a MUST read.
on August 20, 2014
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel series is an excellent series - I think it is originally meant for teen readers; although, as an adult I enjoyed the books. They are a fast read - there's not too much to each book, and I find myself flying through them because I'm engaged. Great storyline that incorporates mythical creatures, magic, and gods and goddesses/myths from most cultures. Great for teens/young adults who liked the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Heroes of Olympus series, The Kane Chronicles series (although people bashed this series in the reviews, I enjoyed it), the Lorian series (people bashed this series because of the author, but I still enjoyed it), and the Harry Potter series.
on September 27, 2016
It's as good an introduction to mythology as anything I have ever read. Even though, I am much older than the intended audience, this is the second time I've read this series. The mythologies Scott references are fascinating. More than once, I have had to research [Google] one of the characters to find out who they were (if they are historical characters) or what mythology they are from. That is so much fun for me.