Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by NERD Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook: Festive Vegetarian Recipes
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 7, 2014
Forget the holidays, this is a year round recipe book with the classics interpreted here. There are very few cookbooks for the no fat low fat diet when it comes to being vegan that I have found that cover all the traditional classic holidays, including Hannukah with a recipe for "chopped liver" that is really amazing considering it is fatless and has no liver. Don't try to pass this off to your carnivore friends as chopped liver, but as a diet friendly tasty holiday appetizer- but that advice typically applies to everything that is vegan trying to mock traditional meat recipes. I think the recipe is great. I have made several other recipes from the book and liked them all. It's a "go to" book for the holidays. I was originally going to give the book a 4 for lack of photos (there are none)... but you know what? I think we all pretty much know what these classic holiday recipes look like in the non-vegan world from which they are interpreted, so who needs. Instead, I really prefer and enjoy the written explanations, history of the food, and I like the size and weight of the book. It's a paperback.
on June 15, 2008
The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook: Festive Vegetarian Recipes

This is one of the BEST cookbooks I've come across in a long time! I am transitioning to a vegan diet (while trying to lose weight) and this cookbook is contains 100% vegan recipes, all with 1g of fat or less--the best of both worlds!

When I first got the book, I started putting Post-It flags on the recipes I wanted to try, but soon found that nearly every page then had a Post-It!

So far I've made my own vegan soy "sausage", soy "chorizo", BBQ "nuggets" and a fat-free hummus. I can't wait to try the rest! PS: Don't let the "holiday" in the title fool you: these aren't just "Christmas" recipes: there are recipes for Eid, Passover, Chinese New Year, etc.--pretty much for ANY time of the year!
Often the most difficult meals for coming up with ideas are those for the holidays, especially when you are having non-vegan guests. This book is a great solution, not only for tasty creations that most everyone will like, but meals that are attractive and good alternatives to those that contain meat. I've made many of the recipes in this book and have never had a complaint on any of them. They taste good, presentation is great and everyone asks for seconds.

The other nice thing is that just because it's vegetarian, it doesn't contain a lot of high calorie ingredients. You can have a festive meal, knowing that its healthy. The recipe portions are large enough that nobody will walk away from the table hungry.
on August 30, 2010
My moms going out of town this weekend so we had an early Rosh Hashana meal last night. We made the whole menu except that we made her apple pie for dessert bc we had 9 apples in the house. O-M-G. My mom was the only Jew at the table and I was the only no-added-fat-vegan and EVERYONE loved the food! My boyfriend had seconds of the cabbage dish even though he "hates" cabbage! haha...and the meal went together very well! Her sour cream was fantastic and really brought all the flavors of each dish together. And the meal was to die for and, honestly, way cheaper than the meat-counterpart would have been for making that huge amount of food. FYI: the CHALLAH BREAD WAS KILLER! It was good plain, with honey or with sliced fruit on top. And the apple pie (in her other cook book) was freakin awesome. It's a childhood favorite dessert of mine. It was sooooooooo good. And I really liked the pastry dough, which I was afraid of having. What a good meal! I had it ALL again for breakfast this morning ;) ahahahahha...my oatmeal will have to wait for another day.
on May 6, 2016
I just got this recently, so haven’t had time to go through every recipe. I usually take my time anyway. I can’t wait to try some of the recipes I did look at. It looks like there's lots of interesting ones for a vegetarian who’s shooting for becoming vegan-most of the time. I like her take on recipe makeovers better than most I’ve run across. I’m a long time vegetarian who still likes her meat analogs. They’re not real meat and I’m not going to apologize for liking them. I’m happy I bought this book.
on November 21, 2015
Great book - large variety of recipes. I find that a lot of low fat vegan cookbooks concentrate on mexican and Indian foods - endless variations of that. This collection didn't fall into that trap. Can't wait to try the recipes.
on December 12, 2016
One of my favorite vegan cookbooks! My used copy even happened to be signed by the author.
on June 10, 2015
GREAT
on March 29, 2012
Some of these recipes are amazing! I've only tried a few but can't wait to try them all!

Already planning our next holiday meal. :)
on November 11, 2014
I have read and purchased TONS of vegan cookbooks. In summary, most are just ways of using processed vegan products from the store BUT not this cookbook. She does an excellent job providing interesting flavorful recipes and ideas. The only thing I would tell Bryanna, the author, is to use spell check! Usually one will find 3 misspelled words but there are quiet a few. That is being picky because the contents of the book are great. It is difficult to find low-fat vegan recipes that are flavorful.