Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
on February 18, 2014
In 2012 I lost 50 pounds following the eating patterns in the first version of this book. It took a few weeks for my body to adjust to the pattern - I lost a pound a week at first. After I adjusted, I lost a steady, painless 2 pounds/week all the way to goal.
Not bad for a post-menopausal, low exercise, female.

In fact, quite healthy. I experienced several life-enhancing non-scale victories on this journey. For example: I achieved very stable and consistently high energy levels. And arthritis from an injury decades ago - that was crippling my right hand - just went away.

By adjusting my Down Day/Up Day calories I have maintained the weight loss effortlessly. And pleasurably. DH and I love to cruise. The last three cruises I ate what I wanted and returned weighing - lol - exactly what I weighed when I left.

During 2012, a lot of scientific studies about intermittent fasting were published. By reading the first version of this book, and many studies, I learned a tremendous amount about how my body, health, and weight all work together. I bought the new version of this book because this is a life style I intend to follow for the rest of my life...and I want to learn more and more about it.
22 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
I've been following this plan since July 2012 and have lost 79 pounds on it and still going. I've never stuck with any other diet that long, but this is so flexible and doable because you aren't restricted every day. The new edition has lots of new content, including updated studies, lots of information about how this diet can benefit your health in unexpected ways (asthma, cancer, heart disease), what to do if you are experiencing a bit of diet fatigue, and an interesting FAQ section. The recipe section isn't very exciting (to me), but overall I highly recommend both the plan and the book. It works!
66 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2016
We're doing this diet. A good idea and it does work. We know that tomorrow we can eat more. In the beginning we pigged out but after a few days it calmed down and we are eating sensibly on our up days. Our down days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We wanted the weekend free because of our social schedule. It's working for us.
on August 12, 2015
I did this diet years ago without knowing any of the science behind it, or even that there was a name for it. It was the "I'm too poor to eat every day" diet. So naturally, when I did have the opportunity to eat, I usually had very little regard for the healthiness of that food. That was the smallest I had been since before puberty. Fast forward a few years to a more stable life. Decided I was gonna eat 3 balanced meals a day with plenty of protein, fruits, and veggies. Gained weight and had all sorts of blood sugar problems. My sugar would plummet in the middle of the night, causing me to wake up feeling like I was going to be sick. In my twenties, I knew meant I had to do something.

So I thought back to when I was my smallest and felt the healthiest. I started doing some research into Intermittent Fasting and learned the specifics of what I had essentially been doing years ago.

Since beginning up-day-down-day, I have lost a ton of belly fat (rather quickly too!) and lost basically any cellulite I had. I went from having to eat before bed if I didn't want to wake up feeling sick, to where I will occasionally just fast on my down days. I don't know if it's from losing weight or cutting down on inflammation, but running is much easier now. I have so much more energy (down days included). I thought I was past the point of being able to manage my sugar by watching my diet, but now even alcohol doesn't cause it to be that out of whack

People will look at you like you're crazy, but if you're not having luck with traditional diet techniques, why not try something different? After all, insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results
on December 30, 2015
Great book - need a new eating plan and lifestyle that will make you feel energized and keep your mind fit, then give this program a try.
I have the same food on my down days, soup, salad and some protein. I have gotten thinner, scale has changed a little, but that is not my first objective -it was feeling great. It has accomplished that!
on September 6, 2016
Have been on this diet for about 4-5 months, love it and am seeing great results. I can stay on it because it doesn't feel like a diet, once you get over the initial adjustment phase. I actually feel the BEST on the down days, much to my surprise. Love that it is soooo good for your body AND you lose weight! Have recommended it to my friends. My sister is on it too...also has had great results! Fast shipping...recommend seller.
on January 10, 2015
I have read multiple books on every other day modified fasting techniques, to include the 5:2 day, DoDo Diet, 8 Hour, and Varady's similar approach to every other day, too. IF is a favorite among body builders because of the value of fat loss and muscle retention. This book further documents the Science behind the success. I have tried to lose weight on many diets and ultimately give in to boredom or just plain rebellion over time. This is the first diet i've actually lost weight on and seen the health benefits from lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides. I look forward to future updates and continued scientific studies!
on April 12, 2017
I'm 61 and have read many diet books. I've only ever been 10 pounds overweight but those pounds require a special diet to get them off. This eating plan is a success for me. I feel stronger and more focused than ever!
on May 12, 2017
I found this to be an excellent book. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it had a lot more information on case studies than I felt was necessary. But it explained the benefits of the alternate day diet thoroughly. There is a lot of pertinent information in this book that you wouldn't learn without reading the book.
on March 6, 2014
The idea of losing weight this way is good. I have succeeded using the diet...30 lbs in 4 months.
He believes in consuming whole grains. I don't.
He believes in low fat generally. I don't.
Here is my two cents...use the diet coupled with low carb high fat (LCHF) for success.
Dr. Johnson does appreciate the use of glycemic index.
This diet is easier than most and looking forward to the up day helps psychologically.
This book and the explanation of the diet is a good way to help you lose weight.
44 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse