Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on February 2, 2015
Out of the three TERA E-books I've read so far- this one is definitely my favorite.
The story was presented in a well-thought and evenly divided space between past and present, and unlike Fire and Ice deals with a more-or-less common vet.
Out of the other books I've read thus far, this one in particular focuses less on the Argon War and the Federation, and more on the soldiers and the huge race-schism that is heavily implied-in game. The main character is very easy to relate to, even if he's not necessarily a saint, and you sympathize with him and his situation.
Bridget McKenna breathes life into the often forgotten NPCs that make up the world of Arborea, which I thought would have been very difficult to do; but she's managed to make it run smoothly, keeping in-game elements, and in-game humor along with it.
It's a good, short read, and definitely worth the ninety-nine cents I forked over.
on March 17, 2012
This was the first book (short story) I've read by this author (Bridget McKenna), so I did not know what to expect going in. I found myself pleasantly surprised though. I especially enjoyed the interweaved back-and-forth delivery style of the main character's past and present. I felt the story was presented in a well-written and expressive manner (I had no trouble imagining the scenes described, though I have participated in the TERA North American Closed Beta events, so my imagination may be somewhat biased). I do have to agree with part of JMitch's critique that there were points of extended dialog where it became unclear (at least to me) which character was speaking which line. Overall though, I found this to be a great, short read and a steal at $0.99. I hope En Masse Entertainment pursues and releases more of these before and after TERA's North American release. This certainly got me in the mood to pickup and read through more Fantasy titles and dig deeper into TERA's lore.
on January 7, 2013
I'm an avid gamer and love reading. After doing some research on the MMORPG Tera, I decided to give the game a go. Reading this story helped give me some background on the characters and political intrigue reported to drive the game. Additionally, the writers of these stories are employed by the game's publisher En Masse leading me to believe the source material will be treated accordingly. I'm glad my expectations were met. The story moves briskly the characters are likable and I was able to read this story while enjoying my lunch. Anyone with even a cursory interest in this game would do well to start here. It would also do well to help support these avid gamers/writers who also happen to be female, a rare and sorely lacking resource to gaming as a whole. After enjoying this fiction I'm eager to begin my adventure in Arborea!
on March 31, 2012
This story was done well and stands alone from the main TERA story line but not so far that the characters could be switched in and out too easily. Each one has their own personality, to a degree, and the main character has a nice back story added while he sleeps. With a short amount of time to write in the author did a good job in showing action and a bit of surprise and plot with the twists. You could see what was coming, but not in it's entirety, leaving the mystery open. The action was scripted well and words were not repeatedly and the story was not hurriedly switched from one scene to another just on whim or because the author of something else.
While good the story occasionally feels a little showy when the main's characters internal thoughts seem to take an almost-rebel twenty year old's stance and tone, which seems out of character for who the soldier was made out to be. His back story also didn't play much into the main story but some ends were tied up by the finish and seemed to work fairly well. TERA fans might be a little disappointed to find that while it's located in the series' world, it doesn't bring out much of the lore or history of the game.
Your time won't be wasted reading this, and it is certainly good, minus the drawbacks. Well worth more than the tiny price it goes for, your time won't be wasted, even with the small nit-picks. Definitely my favorite of the three stories written about TERA.
on June 28, 2012
I was pretty surprised I actually enjoyed this being usually I'm not all that impressed with game-based books.

I only had 2 complaints with it that I could think of. Firstly, I felt like it could have been a little darker being that the game is rated mature. For example, there are some events towards the middle of the story that are sort of glossed over that really could have been better if the time was taken to add some grit and detail to them. And secondly there's really nothing in it that adds to the lore that's already there from the game.

It might be a little hard to follow at times if you haven't played the game but, all in all, it's a still a pretty good story.
on May 3, 2012
Among the three stories released for TERA, I liked this one the best. It wasn't very action-packed. It wasn't warm and fuzzy. In fact, it's rather dark. One of the things that I liked was that it was very mental. It highlighted the flaws inside the people of TERA. It showed the Elves as they are described in the game - not only haughty, but many of them desire to subjugate the other races. And the ending was a twist I really didn't see coming.
on August 6, 2015
I can't say it is the best book I have ever read or the worst. It tells the story well enough and allows SOME lore for the game. Aside from that i would recommend it only if your interested in a story about one unimportant guy in the Tera world.
on May 2, 2012
Great little story (and I like the associated computer game too). At first thought it was going to be a bit dull, but interesting character background exposition, and twist at the end, tension etc. It's a job well done.
on March 19, 2012
I found the story of Madoc an enjoyable one as the story of past and present unfold together. Very much worth the $.99
on March 17, 2013
I play the game TERA on line, and I could picture the areas and characters in this story easily. I enjoyed it very much.